6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 3:19 PM by Bill Gehrke

Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?

TVF Ingo

Hello!

I've got a new PC Workstation (HP z840 Dual-Core XEON E5-2630 v3@ 2,4Ghz with 64GB RAM and a nVidia Quadro M4000 with 8GB Memory)

Ironically my 4 year old Workstation with an nVidia GTX 670 has an better realtime videoplay.

Example: HD MXF MPG2 works fine on both systems. If I put a Lumetri effect on the clip, my old system with the GTX670 plays the video perfect - the new system with the M4000 drops frames.

Three weeks before I have tested a system with a nVidia Quadro M5000 (complete different hardware configuration) and it was the same probleme.

Is this a known problem?

Which driver is the best for the Quadro M4000? (the newest??)

Should I better exchange the M4000 with the K4200 (or GTX970/980)??

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the quadro m4000 is an underclocked gtx 970. its so underclocked that it may be similar in performance to the gtx 670.

you may want to check gpu usage with gpu-z on the different systems.  you may find the gpu usage not very high on any computer.

playback requires the cpu and gpu to work together, it doesn't just use the gpu with the mercury playback engine. eric from adk has said that low clock speeds on the intel cpu's can impact playback, as they cannot feed the data fast enough to the gpu for real time playback. he said no lower than 2.6ghz, but higher is better.

whats the cpu clock speed of the other two systems?

if you do not need 10bit display, a gtx card will work fine with adobe's software and save money. depending how much performance you want/need, the gtx 970 or 980 ti 6gb are good cards. if you are doing HD or 4k with just a few gpu effects and lumetri, the gtx 970 is usually good enough. the gtx 980 4gb is generally overpriced and not a good buy. a display i/o card like from blackmagic or aja can still be used with a gtx for 10bit display, and can still be cheaper than some of the expensive quadros.

• 2. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?
            TVF Ingo Level 1

My old system:   i7 3930k 3.2ghz/ 16GB RAM/ GTX670 + Blackmagic Decklink Studio

first testsystem:  1x XEON E5-1650v3 6×3,5GHz/32GM RAM /Quadro M5000 + Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K

The realtimeplayback on the 6x 3,5 Ghz system was not really faster - in my opinion....

• 3. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?

the old system and test system are similar cpu's, and i would expect them to perform similar. if anything, the first test system should be doing better with those hardware parts. if you still have your gtx 670 you could try testing it in your new system to see if its actually the gpu as you think. if you have a decklink card in the new system, you could also remove it to see if there is any difference. gpu-z should also show the gpu bus interface, if its using full x16 or not.

there was a driver issue from nvidia recently, but i believe it was only for gtx mobile/laptop gpu's. you could try installing some older quadro drivers.

does this only happen with lumetri effect or what else? someone else had performance problems with lumetri recently, but no solution was found.

is there anything different about the old i7 system? like version of windows or storage or very high ram speed?

• 4. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?
                TVF Ingo Level 1

Now I have installed a quadro driver from the HP Site (358.87 Rev.A/Dez 2015) but nothing has changed.

All Systems works with Windows 7, the same storage (esata proavio studiorack s4 raid) and the HP Workstation has the fastest RAM.

Not only the lumetri effect slow down the system. Ever "realtime" effect will drop frames.

If there is no (yellow or red) bar in the upper timeline, everything works really fine on the new HP Workstation. Better than the other ones. If I hit the spacebar the video play immediately - perfect! Better than ever! I love it. I can use my old jog/shuttle very well. A feeling like an old DigitalBeta Taperecoder.

But if I put any effect, (surely) the upper bar turns to yellow - (but incomprehensibly for "realtime" CUDA) and the frames will drop. If I render the timeline (bar turns into green) - the video always play fine.

For me it seems like driving with tightened brakes.

(Sorry for my bad english - i hope you understand everthing. @ronin: and thanks for helping me!)

• 5. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?

the quadro m4000 and m5000 should be powerful enough to playback several gpu effects and lumetri in real-time.

if you change the playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4 does it work any better?

have you checked what gpu-z says the video card is doing?

have you tried the drivers from nvidia.com? they have older and newer driver versions than the one you list from hp.

if you want to test if there is a problem with premiere, there is a premiere pro benchmark here PPBM Benchmark Instructions

Bill Gehrke runs that benchmark site and can tell if the results are good or bad.

if you want a generic benchmark to test the computer, you can check the cpu and gpu test in cinebench.

• 6. Re: Why is the new M4000 Quadro slower than a old GTX670?
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since both the M4000 and the GTX670 have roughly the same number of cores and both have the same "quoted" memory bandwidth, I am wondering if the Quadro Maxwell's have the same problem that we see in the problem with the GTX Maxwell GPU's  If you look at GPU-Z on the startup page you will see a memory clock specification for example on my GTX 970 SC of 1753 MHz which is normal (some applications specify this base frequency others use 2x this or 3505 MHz and if you look at the EVGA specifications they specify 4x or "Memory Clock 7010 MHz Effective"

With non-Maxwell GTX cards this is actually achieved when running any CUDA application like Premiere, BUT, with Maxwell GTX cards see the actual memory clock drops back to 1502 MHz.  This is not a Premiere problem as any CUDA application causes this to happen.  Notice the drop In the Memory Clock, that happen the precise moment that I started Premiere.  Prior to that I had Photoshop running and the Memory clock was 1753 MHz.

My question is do Maxwell Quadro's have the same drop in clock frequency?