3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 8:55 AM by Steve Grisetti

Unable to Remove Premiere Elements 7

Desolation

Does anyone know a way to manually repair and/or then completely uninstall Premiere Elements 7 (PE7)?    It came installed with my Windows 7 system years ago and has never been used (I've been using Photoshop Element 8 and now 14).   A few days ago an attempt to uninstall it using Windows 7 Add-Remove, failed for some unknown reason and much of the program remained.   Repeat attempts to uninstall it didn’t help.   At that point, I probably made the problem worse by using Windows Explorer to remove as much of the program as I could.  Clearly this was not a very smart thing to do.  In any event, after that Windows Backup would no longer create an error-free system backup image.

System Restore resulted in all the PE7 files apparently reappearing.  However, PE7 failed to start, with an error message: “The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically.  You must reinstall or call customer support”. 

Attempts to repair or uninstall the program using the original PE7 installation disk also failed, with an error message asking me to insert the PE7 disk. 

SFC/scannow found errors but was unable to fix them, probably because it could not replace any missing or corrupt PE7 files.

Photoshop Elements 7, 8 and 14 have also been installed in the past.  It’s remotely possible that the original problem may somehow be related to the installation and use of these programs over the years.

At this point, all I really want to do is to find a way to manually remove the entire PE7 program, hopefully including any of the corrupt files which are preventing Windows Backup from successfully making a system image backup.  Alternatively, it would be nice to find a way to repair or reinstall PE7 using the original installation disk, since this could also solve the missing or corrupt files problem which is preventing Windows Backup from creating an error free system image.

Any ideas or solutions?

Terry

• 1. Re: Unable to Remove Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've done a bit of tinkering, so you may have added a bit more to the mess.

But go to C://ProgramFile(x86)/Adobe and just delete the Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 folder.

Then run CCleaner (a free download) to clean up the junk it left in your registry.

If you really want to be thorough, enable your Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and then go to C://ProgramData/Adobe/Premiere Elements and delete the 7.0 folder from there too.

I can't imagine that Premiere Elements 7 did something to Windows Backup. They don't really live in the same world. But throwing out the program files and running CCleaner should pretty much remove the program from your system so that, if you'd like to, you can reinstall it and, if you'd like, do a formal uninstallation.

• 2. Re: Unable to Remove Premiere Elements 7
            Desolation Level 1

That's a good suggestion Steve.  I hadn't thought at all about CCleaner.   Thank you....

I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 fairly soon (while it's still free), so as of yesterday I've also started thinking about another option which would be to install Windows 10 on a completely wiped-clean hard drive rather than loading it on top of all the years of garbage that's accumulated in my Windows 7 system.    Reinstalling everything from backup would be a lot more work, but it would result in a far more reliable system in the long term and probably avoid a lot of other problems as well. 

I'm not sure which way I'll go yet.

Terry

• 3. Re: Unable to Remove Premiere Elements 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's more work -- but I think that would be a very wise way to go, Terry!