7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 2:48 PM by JimHess

Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?

iguana luke Level 1

Dear Forum,

short question: I'm on Lr 3. Can I still upgrade to Lr 5?

I recently discovered that mu CPU/RAM power is not sufficient to run Nik Software, so I'm building a new setup. It's going to be quite up to date, but I don't want to immediately stifle it with the newest software versions. I probably don't need the newest Lr, I'm actually quite OK with Lr 3 + Nik, but I thought that I might take a few steps up and enjoy the development. So is it possible?

Thanks for answering

Cheers

Luke

• 1. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
          dj_paige Level 9

You can see if third party vendors like Amazon or B&H still sell Lightroom 5

• 2. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way you could upgrade to Lightroom 5 is if you can find an upgrade package through a third-party reseller. Adobe does not sell Lightroom 5 anymore. If you have a 64-bit operating system your best choice would be to upgrade to Lightroom 6.

• 3. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
              dj_paige Level 9

I agree you'd be better off with Lightroom 6, there is no way it is going to "stifle" your new computer.

• 4. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
                iguana luke Level 1

But what's the real advantage of Lightroom 6? The version comparison on the adobe page just shows differences unimportant to me: some obscure face recognition for easier photo finding and an HDR tool for panoramas. I need a tool to do basic editing before moving to Nik. I don't produce HDR or slideshows, and if I want to make a book I'll do it outside of Lightroom. So - is it really worth it? I can't find the system requirements, but usually the new versions eat more of the resources.

• 5. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you are going to built a new rig with fairly new components there is no way LR 6/CC will stifle the system. I'm running a 5 year old system with a i7 CPU and all the newest versions of LR and PS run just fine.

• 6. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

iguana luke wrote:

But what's the real advantage of Lightroom 6? The version comparison on the adobe page just shows differences unimportant to me: some obscure face recognition for easier photo finding and an HDR tool for panoramas. I need a tool to do basic editing before moving to Nik. I don't produce HDR or slideshows, and if I want to make a book I'll do it outside of Lightroom. So - is it really worth it? I can't find the system requirements, but usually the new versions eat more of the resources.

At this point it doesn't really matter. You will be hard pressed to find a legitimate copy of LR 5 still for sale. Sure you might find some on eBay but more than likely they are used and or counterfeit. The cost would be the same. $79 for an upgrade for LR 5 and $79 for an upgrade to LR 6. Same cost.

Or you can sign up for the subscription plan for $120- a year and get both LR CC and PS CC.

• 7. Re: Is it still possible to upgrade to Lr 5?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

iguana luke wrote:

Whether you upgrade to Lightroom 5 or Lightroom 6, the cost is going to be the same. The upgrade price is $79. So, in my opinion, you might as well just upgrade to Lightroom 6 and be done with it. I don't use the book module. I do use the HDR and panorama tools. But if you don't want to use them, just don't.