5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 12:56 AM by try67

Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool

robertos38875843 Level 1

<Urgent> hi im robert, i work on EPC company specializing in oil and gas. I develop a procedure of automated system for Quantity Take off for drawings, PFD's and P&ID's using only acrobat + excel, unfortunately there are some features of old acrobat wherein the tools upgraded version has been changed. My question is can i revert back the tool setting even im already using new version (specifics : Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool)

• 1. Re: Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

(First of all, I moved your question to one of the Acrobat forums)

What exactly do you see that's working differently compared to the older version?

• 2. Re: Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool
            robertos38875843 Level 1

Hi try67.

To give you a synopsis, below is the samples of Automated Quantity take-off / Survey using acrobat + excel.

My working file is called Piping and Instrument Diagram (P&ID) which consist of many pages and each pages contains numerous items which is required to be classified and quantified. Below is a sample of PDF 7 marked P&ID (diamond shaped marking and colored in red and blue)

Untitled.png

While below image is the Output summarized and classified using Excel

UntitledA.png

Now i will emphasize the difference of Distance Tool for both Acrobat 7 and Acrobat XI

Acrobat 7 : Distance Tool

1.) Can show marking even if dimension is equals to "0"

2.) Procedure to use : Open Distance Tool > input Annotation > Double click to mark specified location > To continue marking, edit Annotation and Double click to mark specified location

Acrobat XI : Distance Tool

1.) Cannot show marking if dimension is "0"

2.) Procedure to use : Open Distance Tools > Create Marking > Edit Marking suit to use > Edit Annotation > To continue marking, copy previous marking > Paste to specified location > Edit annotation

To simplify impact as explained difference above. See below image

UntitledC.png

Now my question is,  is there a way Acrobat can retain the Settings of the command Measuring Tools, or If i am using latest version of Acrobat, can i revert back the original setting for Measuring Tools?

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool
              robertos38875843 Level 1

Hi try67.

To give you a synopsis, below is the samples of Automated Quantity take-off / Survey using acrobat + excel.

My working file is called Piping and Instrument Diagram (P&ID) which consist of many pages and each pages contains numerous items which is required to be classified and quantified. Below is a sample of PDF 7 marked P&ID (diamond shaped marking and colored in red and blue)

Untitled.png

While below image is the Output summarized and classified using Excel

UntitledA.png

Now i will emphasize the difference of Distance Tool for both Acrobat 7 and Acrobat XI

Acrobat 7 : Distance Tool

1.) Can show marking even if dimension is equals to "0"

2.) Procedure to use : Open Distance Tool > input Annotation > Double click to mark specified location > To continue marking, edit Annotation and Double click to mark specified location

Acrobat XI : Distance Tool

1.) Cannot show marking if dimension is "0"

2.) Procedure to use : Open Distance Tools > Create Marking > Edit Marking suit to use > Edit Annotation > To continue marking, copy previous marking > Paste to specified location > Edit annotation

To simplify impact as explained difference above. See below image

UntitledC.png

Now my question is,  is there a way Acrobat can retain the Settings of the command Measuring Tools, or If i am using latest version of Acrobat, can i revert back the original setting for Measuring Tools?

Thanks in advance.

• 4. Re: Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool
                robertos38875843 Level 1

Hi try67, any info on my inquiry?

TIA

Robert

• 5. Re: Acrobat 7 Measuring Tool v.s. Acrobat XI Measuring Tool
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, I can't really help you with this issue.