4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 7:48 AM by Bob W - CMT

Not running on El Capitan? Adobe anything? Anything?

Bob W - CMT

I was so disappointed to find out that Fireworks CS6 won't work on El Capitan. It's a great program and it doesn't use a lot of resources. So bummed about this. Adobe, is there any work around?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Not running on El Capitan? Adobe anything? Anything?
          Herbert2001 Level 4

Did you uninstall Fireworks, and then install the older Java Download Java for OS X 2015-001

and re-install?

• 2. Re: Not running on El Capitan? Adobe anything? Anything?
            Bob W - CMT Level 1

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No I haven't but, I'll try that. I have two questions though, isn't it a security risk going backwards with java? Secondly, will that effect the speed of my new imac with other apps?

• 3. Re: Not running on El Capitan? Adobe anything? Anything?
              Herbert2001 Level 4

Well, yes, the older Java version (6) is no longer supported by Oracle, and has several known security holes. OSXDaily warns that:

To be clear, Java 6 is a version from 2013, it is outdated and no longer supported by Oracle, it has various known security holes, and is therefore inappropriate for most Mac users to install without a compelling reason. So, unless you have a need for Java 6 specifically, you’d likely want to get a newer version, or if you don’t need Java at all, just don’t install it.

Reference: How to Install Java in OS X El Capitan

But you do have a compelling reason: you wish to run Fireworks CS6.

Word of warning: reports from other users trying to install Fireworks CS6 on El Capitan range from failures to working installations "with caveats". Even after a successful installation there will be some issues.

The unfortunate fact is that Fireworks has not been updated since May 2012, and development was halted in May 2013. It works on Windows machines, though: perhaps consider Parallels, or VirtualBox to install a virtualized Windows environment on your Mac to run the Windows version of Fireworks? I read that it even works in WINE - which can be installed on your Mac, although it involves a bit of a technical process.

• 4. Re: Not running on El Capitan? Adobe anything? Anything?
                Bob W - CMT Level 1

Thanks for your explanation. I'm not sacrificing my security and performance for an outdated application. Very disappointed with Adobe on this one. Fireworks fulfilled a specific niche for website designers with an efficient, pixel and vector-based software that was not bloated with extra junk. I'm not going to use photoshop or illustrator for my page mockup and web design. I'll keep plugging away with Affinity Photo or something else instead. This is the kind of thing that drives customers away from brand loyalty and I've been using Adobe products for 20+ years.

I appreciate your time in this post. I now can move forward.

Thanks so much!