4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 4:11 AM by MBrian18

I have been having a problem lately with what appears to be corrupted files in LR.   There is a large black exclamation mark.

MBrian18

I have been having a problem lately with what appears to be corrupted files in LR.  I use LR CC and have updated to the most current version, but this started a few months ago.  It's becoming worse, with many files now affected.  It appears in Library Module, and there is a message telling me,"Unexpected end of file," or "there was an error working with this photo."  There is always a black exclamation mark in a round circle (not the smaller exclamation mark signifying a missing photo).  The affected files cannot be worked on in develop module at all, and many don't show a preview now.  These are photos that I have had in my system for months and years, and it doesn't seem to happen with photos that I have on my internal laptop hard drive (I use external hard drives to house my photo library). 

I have the photo library backed up to another external hard drive, and the files on it are not affected (yet).

Anyone have any thoughts on this.  I see some similar problems a few have had, and it's not clear that there is a known cause or software problem.  I worry about a hardware problem, but the computer is otherwise fine and the hard drive is not too old.

thank you