8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 1:58 AM by sebdea

InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign

sebdea Level 1

This year I upgrade it my MAC Mini (Early 2009; 2.26 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo; 8 Gb RAM; 120 Gb SSD with TRIM enabled). After all upgrades I did a fresh install of all Adobe applications I am currently using (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator). All are behaving poorly.

1. On all three applications I cannot use proportional resize of any object by using Command+Shift+mouse click. Previously by clicking on a right corner of an image/object and pressing Command + Shift I could proportionally resize it. Now, it simple doesn't work as combining these keys with left mouse click I can drag disproportionally on any axes (X axe or Y Axe) and the result is an un proportionally resized image/object.

2. Hand tool within text frames is not working at all. If I am working inside a text box and want to move on another page or paragraph I simple click inside text frame and with Option key presed I can move whether I want within the text frame or even page. It is not working.

3. hand tool does not work when SPACE bar is pressed. Usually I could use this feature to navigate on a page or spread. Now it is not functioning.

4. Creating an alternate layout with a different size for pages (let's say that I want to generate a new layout from A4 to A5 using alternate layout option) is not working.

... and before sending me to all sort of forum posts, yes, I did read those related to shortcuts in MAC OS X 10.11. I actually disabled all shortcuts on OS X except those that allows me to navigate between desktops (Control + arrow keys).

I noticed that every time I am doing a cleaning operation using Onyx application, the InDesign and any other Adobe application is working properly. Until I close them. Usually I don't close them during the day but next day they are not behaving normally and all those irritating issues are back. Now, do not imagine that I will do this on a daily basis.

On my second MAC which still uses OS X 10.10, all those applications are working properly.

Considering how your company also blew up some users' applications/computers with the latest Creative Cloud update you are not in position to ask me to downgrade my OS to 10.10 nor to recommend me to upgrade my OS only after you update your applications.

Please fix it or at least present a viable solution until you work out those error.

Sincerely,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
          Frans van der Geest Adobe Community Professional

I have El Capitan 10.11.3 here with ID CC 2015 on my MacBook and iMac and have none of the problems you mention.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
            sebdea Level 1

Well, that's wonderful news. However, how on earth will this help me? Don't bother to answer.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That machine is kind of underpowered to be running hi end applications without performance issues..

That said, you mentioned that the Adobe apps were clean install but what about El Capitan? I’ve found upgraded operating systems to be a crapshoot.

• 4. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
                Frans van der Geest Adobe Community Professional

Let me bother you anyway: this meant it is not an general InDesign problem but a specific your system problem. We do not not know your system (software, hardware) so there is nothing to suggest to you other than: reinstall your system, reinstall InDesign, check your (mouse, keyboard) preferences, rebuild your InDesign preferences. But I guess you won't find that answer to your satisfaction either following your friendly tone here...

In short: the problem  is not InDesign here, it is you or your system.

• 5. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
                  sebdea Level 1

Hi Bob,

That's fine. Initially I worked with OS X 10.11 with only 6 Gb RAM and a 500Gb HDD. The issues were there after updating to OS X 10.11. When I did that upgrade normally I had to make a clean install of all applications since old HDD actually died. That means a clean install for OS as well. So, if it is underpowered it was for OS X 10.10 as well. Yet I am still working. So, is it my MAC underpowered for OS or for Adobe?

Sincerely,

Sebastian

• 6. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
                    sebdea Level 1

Considering all the complains I read on this forum from other Adobe users: Premier, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom etc. I found it difficult to understand your point. My system is a MAC MINI Early 2009, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz, 8 Gb RAM and 120 Gb SSD. OS X 10.11.3. It worked perfect with InDesign back when I had OS X 10.10. It is still working perfect with second MAC that still uses OS X 10.10. I rebuilt preferences and it is still running poor.

InDesign installed is English-Arabic version as I need it for RTL languages projects. Keyboard is an Apple keyboard for Romanian language. Mouse is a bluetooth mouse. I use this keyboard for 5 years. There are two keyboards set: one for English and one for Romanian. The mouse is new. But the issues are way before changing my mouse and I see no connection between keyboard and mouse and InDesign. Let's suppose for a minute that all resizing images/objects issues might be related to my keyboard and/or mouse. Generating an alternate layout from A4 to A5 it has nothing to do with my mouse or my keyboard. InDesign is simple not working. The result is still an A4 layout. Two weeks ago it worked when I resized a layout from A5 to A4. Now, it is simple stop working. The only update I made during these two weeks is an update to Creative Cloud, which was done 9 days ago.

Now, whether is an issue of Apple or Adobe, for me means nothing. All I know is the InDesign is not working properly. That's why I came here asking for solutions if there are any. Therefore, that's why I was not impressed by your comment. Considering your second comment and Bob's comment, yes, it might be a good solution to do a fresh install of OS X 10.10 and then installing Adobe.

Sincerely,

Sebastian

• 7. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Like I said, that is a very old machine with a very old processor. It would be fine for many things but for this? I simply can’t eliminate it as the cause of your problems.

Each new O/S and new version of Adobe applications is more demanding than the last. At this point an i5 processor is the minimum I would consider.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC2015 + OS X 10.11.3 = weird behaviour of InDesign
                        sebdea Level 1

Thank you Bob. Also thank you to Frans van der Geest. At this time I see no point on investing in an expensive machine while this one is still fine. Old, yes. I installed OS X 10.10 and everything is just fine. To be honest as I am not knowing much about processors to buy a new MAC with a processor of 1.4 GHz and only 4 Gb of RAM and a HDD of 500 GB while mine has 2.26 GHz and 8 GbRam and a SSD is like burning money for nothing. Just because someone from marketing dept. named that processors an I5 is not enough. I think I can find some solutions to boost my processor to work at a faster speed. I never played with these options as I am not sure whether boosting a processor didn't short its life.

Anyway I will consider buying an 2012 or 2014 MAC.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Sebastian