11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 8:31 AM by RoninEdits

PC won't turn on

Jay Knobbe Level 1

Shut everything down Friday now today PC won't start. No lights, beeps, fans, etc. Absolute silence. On/Off button has the same "click" feel as always. The reset button didn't help.

Power is there, if I jump the PSU green to black wires the PSU fan spins.

Thoughts?

I can do some basic diagnosis but due to my schedule I may need to take it to a shop for diagnosis. If anybody has a recommendation where to take it in the Chicago / North Chicagoland area I would appreciate it.

I built it about 5 years ago with the help of this community.

Here are some basic hardware pieces

CoolerMaster HAF-X 932 case

Gigabyte GA-X58a

Intel I7

Coolermaster 1000w PSU

GEforce GTX 470

4 Samsung 1tb F3's configured in two Raid 0's

WD Black O/S

WD 3tb

WD 2tb

Thanks

• 1. Re: PC won't turn on
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

it could be just about anything causing it to not post. even with the psu trick, it could still be a faulty psu.

my guess would be its the motherboard. if its been overclocked, that will raise the odds as overclocking will shorten its lifespan.

you didn't happen to smell any electrical burning? you may want to take a very close look at the motherboard for anything odd.

you can also test the power switch isn't the problem by shorting the power pins with a screwdriver or connect the reset switch to the power pins.

if you don't have time or spare parts to tear apart the computer to further troubleshoot, then it will have to be done by whichever shop you find. i don't know of any in that area to recommend.

• 3. Re: PC won't turn on
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're post was blank.

• 4. Re: PC won't turn on
              Jay Knobbe Level 1

Sorry,

Not oc'd

No smoke or smells

I can try the switch jumper.

Is there a way to test the Mobo?

• 5. Re: PC won't turn on

some motherboards have debug or bios error code led's to help identify the problem, i don't see any of those on your motherboard model when i look it up.

you can isolate the hardware to try and identify the problem, but may also require swap-able hardware at some point... you can pull all hardware, disconnect everything, so that its only psu, mbd, and cpu. if nothing happens there, then trying another known working psu would remove the psu as the cause. some new motherboards will power on without the cpu to allow for bios updates, but i don't think yours does that. so the cpu would have to be tested in another known working system to figure out if its ok and/or a known working cpu into your motherboard to test it.

• 6. Re: PC won't turn on
                  Jay Knobbe Level 1

thank you both for your suggestions.

• 7. Re: PC won't turn on
                    poppabear69 Level 1

I had a similar problem.  It was caused by a dead GPU card.  Can you try a different GPU?

• 8. Re: PC won't turn on
                      jasonvp Level 3

Jay Knobbe wrote:

Shut everything down Friday now today PC won't start. No lights, beeps, fans, etc. Absolute silence. On/Off button has the same "click" feel as always. The reset button didn't help.

Power is there, if I jump the PSU green to black wires the PSU fan spins.

This sounds a lot like a ground, and your Coolermaster PS (very good one, BTW) is doing the right thing by telling you to go forth and self-fornicate. :-)  I know I'm making light of the situation, but the likely cause is one of the cables from the PS.    Per suggestions I've received here, I bought this from Amazon earlier in 2015.  It's been invaluable.  To validate that it's a ground problem, you can disconnect the 24-pin cable from your motherboard and connect it to the PS tester.  If it's grounded, the PS tester will immediately start yelling at you (with a red screen.. it's very angry).  From that point, you're left trying to figure out which cable is grounded and why.

I respect that you haven't a lot of time.  But this $35 and 20 minutes of your time will likely save you a bunch more money in service charges later.  And you'll have a useful tool in your kit for later.

• 9. Re: PC won't turn on
                        Jay Knobbe Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I did test the PSU with the Thermalake tester and it tested good so I found a sharp IT guy to test the rest of the system although they are not video savvy.

Techs tell me the Mobo died. Other hardware is ok. Now faced with upgrading certain components and need to keep the costs under control.

Thinking about:

ASUS  X79 WS board

3930k processor

Samsung SSD for the O/S

670GTX GPU

Ram is in question

All the other drives, PSU, case, etc would carry over from the old system.

Here are some existing  hardware pieces built in 2010

CoolerMaster HAF-X 932 case

Gigabyte GA-X58a

Intel I7

Coolermaster 1000w PSU

GEforce GTX 470

4 Samsung 1tb F3's configured in two Raid 0's

WD Black O/S

WD 3tb

WD 2tb

I know this hardware is already a couple of years old and I will probably need to find on ebay.

Thoughts on upgrade components for editing AVCHD, DVCAM, XDCAM, XAVC under moderate economic conditions?

Will I be able to reload my CS 5.0 and do all the updates, etc? Is Adobe still supporting 5.0?

No 4k in the foreseeable future

thanks for your input

• 10. Re: PC won't turn on
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Quick comment, XAVC is not supported by Adobe unless you go with the later CC versions!

• 11. Re: PC won't turn on

if you already have the i7-3930k, then you can try to find a x79 motherboard for a good price, hopefully under $200.

if you don't have the cpu, or can't find a deal on a motherboard, then you could buy a new z97 motherboard and i7-4790k for around $450. the z97 motherboard should still use your ddr3 ram if the IT guy finds its ok, and the 4790k isn't too far off from the 3930k performance.