7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 12:09 PM by tamc2015

New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom

tamc2015

I just upgraded my version of Lightroom to 6.4.  The issue is that I was trying to sort something out and deleted the new catalog that was automatically created for this version of Lightroom.  So for instance, I go in the "Lightroom" Folder and see my old "Lightroom 3 Catalog.lrcat" and my old "Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat" but the new one that was automatically created inside this folder is gone.  I have something in the "backups" folder located inside the "Lightroom" folder.  Is this the same thing?  Or did I delete the one that I need?  If so, how do I re-save it?  (The other was emptied from my trash).  I apologize if that does not make any sense but I don't know how else to ask it.

• 1. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can go to File->New catalog And create a new empty catalog. If the one that you deleted had images that had been imported, then you might want to take a look at your most recent backup. Also, you can use your new version of Lightroom to open those catalogs from your older versions. You will be prompted to create an updated catalog. Those updated catalogs will contain all of the work you have done in the previous versions. The original catalogs will remain unchanged and usable in the older versions if you still have them installed.

• 2. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom
            tamc2015 Level 1

I am thinking that I may be okay then from your explanation.  I can open the most recent backup but it was just located in a different folder I think?

What I also don't understand is a new file called "Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata".  As the folder is apparently 7.16 GB

• 3. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom
              tamc2015 Level 1

And to confirm, there is no such thing as a main Catalog versus a backup Catalog? If I understood correctly, this is what you meant?

• 4. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom

I would recommend that you copy the backup catalog to the pictures/Lightroom folder. That is the default location for the working catalog. You won't have to synchronize anything in order to do that. The previews folder that you are seeing is generated by Lightroom. It contains small preview images that Lightroom uses in the library module.

• 5. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom
                  tamc2015 Level 1

Thank you again.  I did as you suggested and copied it to that folder.  I also wanted to make sure that that was okay and not some sort of temporary or incomplete version.  I was/am panicking a little at the thought of doing it wrong and losing the photos of my children. 

• 6. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom

Okay, Mom. Take a deep breath, relax, everything will be just fine.

The catalog is just a database file. It doesn't contain your images. You can put the catalog anywhere you want, on any drive that is connected to your computer and it will work. Just make sure that you back it up on a regular basis so that if you have another little mishap you can just restore the backup again. I think the key is to not fight the catalog. It's the file Lightroom opens. It contains all of the adjustments that you have made to your images, and keeps track of where they are located on your computer. Of course, you would be wise to create a separate backup plan of your own that will backup the actual images.

• 7. Re: New Catalog with Upgrade to Lightroom
                      tamc2015 Level 1

I definitely have to do that more often. 

I actually have another source for backups but had not yet done so with the new images.  And I hate doing upgrades or any changes to what I am used to as inevitably, I always do something that I didn't intend on doing.  (And I should have backed up the recent images first but of course I didn't.)  At least I know now that I can move the file to the other folder without compromising anything.  The more things I mess up, the more I learn.

Thanks again.