7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 8:52 AM by Gutter-Fish

AE is slow in displaying effects

joecatch Level 1

Working with After Effects 13.7.0.124 is very slow. Adding effects really slows down my system. Selecting HALF or THIRD resolution  settings helps a little. Fast preview settings don't seem to give me much relief either and the display lags badly. My GPU info is:

Fast Draft:Available
      Texture Memory:796.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:GPU

OpenGL

Vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
      Device:GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
      Version:2.1.2 NVIDIA 352.86
      Total Memory:1.94 GB
      Shader Model:4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version:7.5
      Devices:1 (GeForce GTX 770)
      Current Usable Memory:1.79 GB (at application launch)
      Maximum Usable Memory:2.00 GB

So is AE really using my GPU to render or do I just have too many things going on for it to work smoothly? My system is a PC quad core overclocked to 4.2 ghz, 16 gig RAM and lots of HD. What FAST PREVIEW setting should I me using? Are there other settings I can check like MOTION BLUR under Composition Settings? What are the default settings for Motion Blur? Thanks

• 1. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Is it really true that you're trying to run AE on just 2 gigs of memory?  No wonder you're having problems!  You need at least 8 gigs, and 16 would be better.

• 2. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
            joecatch Level 1

No, my GPU has 2 gig of RAM. My system  RAM is 16 gig!!!

• 3. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Check your settings to see how much RAM AE is allocated to use because that message at startup of "current usable memory" does not mean your GPU, it means that's how much of your installed RAM AE is using. Also don't set the usable RAM too high or that will also slow down AE.  If I were you I would reserve at least 4gigs for other applications.  Also if you are using multi processing make sure you have that set up properly.  Maybe post a screen shot of your settings for Memory & Multiprocessing and make sure to include the multiprocessing part.

• 4. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

joecatch wrote:

So is AE really using my GPU to render

No.

AE doesn't use the GPU for much of anything. It uses the GPU to accelerate the ray-traced renderer which is an outdated way of creating 3d shapes in AE, but other than that obsolete feature, it doesn't use the GPU for much at all. See this for more info: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

What are you comparing your AE's speed to? I've had some projects in AE that took over a minute to render one frame, so your experience might be totally normal. What do you have going on in your composition? How much experience do you have working with AE?

• 5. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
                  joecatch Level 1

From Memory Details:

Installed RAM: 15.85 GBCurrent RAM Usage: 0.00 GBAllowed RAM Usage: 12.85 GB

Process IDApplication NameMin Needed MemoryMax Usable MemoryMax Allowed MemoryCurrent MemoryCurrent Priority
                  7996After Effects0.000.0012.850.003 - Low

screenshot.jpg

I am sorry but where do I find the multiprocessor info?  Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
                    joecatch Level 1

You may be right and my system may be fast but it is still slower than I can work with quickly sometimes. Currently I am trying to do the TrapCode Form tutorial that converts text to sand. So if my system is running OK I would just like some help on how to tweak it a little bit faster.

I am relatively new to AE, having started to work with it middle of last year.

• 7. Re: AE is slow in displaying effects
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

Sorry, you're using 2015 so there is no multiprocessing which might also be slowing you down.  Trapcode Form relies entirely on CPU for rendering and AE 2015 has no multi-thread processing so.....  It might help to switch over to AE 2014 tso Form can utilize the multi-threading but no promises, Form can be very computationally intensive.  Trapcode Mir has alot of the same functionality as Form but renders much faster...maybe try that if you have it.  As for AE displaying 2 gigs of usable memory at startup well...that's a mystery.