11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 8:42 AM by douglaspaulwade

LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4

douglaspaulwade Level 1

I am excited to see a camera in LRm and more excited to see RAW. I got the update today, but do not see a RAW (only a JPG grayed out, see image). What am I missing? I have a Samsung Note 4, running OS version 5.1.1.

Screenshot_2016-02-22-17-22-30.png

So what am I missing.

• 1. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
          shmuglak Level 1

I have the same "problem" (or is this a feature) with LRM 2.0 on Samsung Galaxy S5. running Android 5.0. Is it a settings issue (I can't find any way to tell LRM camera to take RAW images) or a question of hardware capacity? Any hing will be appreciated. Thank you.

• 2. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
            douglaspaulwade Level 1

In the articles I have read, the requirement is a modern smartphone and lollipop. If that is the requirement your S5 and my Note 4 qualify. I am just scratching my head.

d

• 3. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
              Josh Haftel Level 1

There's one other, tricky part to the requirement. The phone must have the DNG option enabled by the manufacturer. Some manufacturers chose not to enable this feature. I'm not sure whether it could be enabled with an update from the manufacture or not.

So even phones that are released today might not support DNG and we don't have the ability to enable DNG if it's not supported by the device.

• 4. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                shmuglak Level 1

Some time ago I read that the Lollipop together with some camera application (I think it was Camera FV-5 but I'm not sure) allow to shoot raw. I have installed the application but then got a message that this works only on certain hardware. I already forgot the the details but it boiled down to the fact that S5 (and I think your Note 4 too since they are essentially the same) is not supported. S6 is. I would like to hear from Adobe, since no limitations were mentioned in the LRM 2.0 announcement.

Update: yes, it is Camera FV-5 (excellent application anyway). The footnote on Google Play page for this application said:  "Requires Android 5+ and fully compliant Camera2 implementation. Currently only LG Nexus 5 and Motorola Nexus 6"). I wonder if this applies to LRM 2.0 camera as well.

• 5. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                  Josh Haftel Level 1

We can't make DNG work on devices that don't support DNG. It's entirely in the hands of the device manufacturer and not something we can control. We of course are working with many of the manufacturers, and we worked closely with Google to create the DNG support within Lollipop, but in the end of the day, we can only access so much. If the camera only hands us three plane, debayered, non-linear, compressed data, that's all we get :/

• 6. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                    douglaspaulwade Level 1

Thanks Josh:

I hate being held bondage to Samsung and Verizon for updates (they shown they do not care). I want Google to take over OS control, like Apple does. I only get teased my great offering like DNG to be told no. dang, dang, and dang.

d

• 7. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                      douglaspaulwade Level 1

I found this camera app in the play store, but their support page lists the cameras that support RAW

Camera FV-5 - Current state of manual camera controls

• 8. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                        shmuglak Level 1

Josh, thank you for the answer. Do you know which phones currently support DNG format? I would guess that going for any new Nexus phone for this would be a safe bet, would it?

• 9. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                          Joshua Haftel Adobe Employee

Had to switch to my @adobe account, but still me =)

We don't know. There are many many devices on the Android platform, and we've seen some situations in which differences between different revisions of the same device can cause differences in what we can offer. The best bet at this point is to download the app on the device and try it out. We're looking into a way to make a more definitive approach, since if you're in the market for a device, it can be really difficult to figure out this information.

I can say that the 6P and 5x both do support DNG capture, and the latest cameras from Samsung (Note 5 and S7) and LG (G4, G5, and V10)  also support DNG. The problem we're running into is that there are literally thousands of devices (last we checked, we had over 9000 different types of devices that have used Lightroom for Android) and the pace of new devices and manufacturers is still accelerating (especially in developing markets like India and China).

HTH =)

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                            shmuglak Level 1

There is a useful application for Android -- Manual Camera Compatibility (no affiliation with the guys who are making it). Quoting from their page: "This app checks whether your device supports various manual camera settings (manual focus, WB, ISO, shutter speed & RAW support) introduced in Android Lollipop Camera2 API". Unfortunately, mine (Galaxy S5) supports none of them.

• 11. Re: LRm 2.0 supporting RAW in Samsung Note 4
                              douglaspaulwade Level 1

this plan is for me. I will be upgrading my phone from a note 4 to Nexus 6P. i will gift my old phone to my daughter. I am a photographer who lives with RAW and Lightroom most days.

The reasons to ditch my current phone is that Sansung has bloatware and being a verizon phone also has bloatware. i can not think of a single app they offer that I use. On top of that, they are not modivated to update the phone to latest OS. The last pdate was to remove one piece of bloatware, really. I believe the google Nexus 6P is controlled by google, so my chances are so much better to keep current, plus no bloatware. I am so use to the Apple world, where Apple controlled the OS and it is a better place to be than how I seen Samsung/Verizon handle things.

The Nexus 6P is not the prefect phone for me, but it meets more objectives for me than any other phone on the market.

d