10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 11:42 AM by Bill Gehrke

Boosting an old system

naumen Level 1

Hello!

My system is like 2 years old and i d like to see if i can boost it up a little....

here is what i have:

CPU: I7-4930K 6 core (12 hyperthreads)

Mother Board: Asus X79-DELUXE

Ram: KINGSTON Hyper Beast 32GB KIT of 4 1.65V KHX21C11T3K4/32X

Video: EVGA GTX 780 TI 3GB

Power : Cheivtec 1200w PSU

Soft : Win7 64bit Ultimate, Adobe PP CS6, Resolve. Work with Mostly Canon C300 MXF files, AVCHD, and Now from Time to Time with Adobe Pro Res....

Plz critic my Disk Setup!

1. Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Sata 3.0 SSD - system drive C: , all soft is installed here and its not used for anything else..

has a pagefile.sys = 8GB , TMP and TEMP folder is not located here!

2. WD black Sata 2.0 2TB - TEMP and TMP folders are here. Has a pagefile.sys = 20GB, Media (audio and video) original files from camcorder goes here

3. WD Raptor 150GB Sata 2.0, 10.000 rpm - I export files from adobe here as well as Project files are here, but also its used to save anything from net Downloads Folder is here (if i download image, or document from net it goes here), Also id i work on Word or Exel docs they are saved here. I would say its my working horse drive

4. Sandisk 64GB Sata 3.0 SSD - used for Adobe Previews, ADOBE_TMP_FILES

5. 2x Segate 3TB sata 3.0 - storage only (separate bays that i turn off when its not used) - back up Drives, Projects and files that were finished and saved on drive #3 Raptor are saved here for back up

So i am looking for a way to update it a little, refresh it, and make it more powerful maybe, i dont want to move to a different board and processor, but would d like to squeeze some extra horse power out of it....

1. I am Looking to upgrade my Win 7 64bit, to Win 8.1 64 bit, i wonder if its worth it? does it any faster?

2.  At system drive C: there is a folder "USERS" , is it smart to leave it here on system drive, or should i move it to some other drive?

3. Looking for New System drive for my New Win 8.1, i am thinking to get:

Samsung SSD 850 Pro Sata III or 850 EVO , was going to get 256GB, but noticed that on my Current system drive there is just 60 GB Free space left, and like i shown all temp files are not located on system drive, so maybe i should get 512 GB?

and what would u suggest Pro or Evo?

4. My Sandisk 64GB just died on me, so after getting a new SSD for my system drive C: , i think i ll use my Current Samsung 840 pro as my disk for Adobe Previews, ADOBE_TMP_FILES

5. Do u think getting an extra 32GB RAM for my system will gives me something?

6. Cooler issue on cpu , it blocks 1 of the memory slots , so if i decide to put extra ram, i ll have to get  new cooler....

7. my Old cheap speakers kind of died as well, so i am looking to get some nice speakers, so that i could do some audio edit/correction...

8. Need a new 1Gbit Router, with wifi ofcourse (for my phone, tablets...), but i dont use wifi on PC.... i only use wired connection and i need it to be 1 Gbit, What would u suggest? my current does not support 1 Gbit, so i pay extra for fast inet, but i cant use it because current router does not support it..

9. i have 12 SATA connections on my mother board , so i wonder about best way to utilize them?

- intel x79 sata III x 2

- intel x79 Sata II x 2

- marvell Sata III x 2

- AsMedia Sata III x 2

Regards

and thank u guys for your support!

• 1. Re: Boosting an old system
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you really want Premiere Pro performance I would get a Samsung m.2 PCIe x4 950 Pro SSD with a PCIe adapter card and dedicate it to just your Adobe projects.  It is about 10 x faster than that Raptor.

• 2. Re: Boosting an old system
            naumen Level 1

are you talking about this: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-V5P512BW

also what about their older 850 evo m2 ? is it much worse then 950?

i ve seen a few clips on youtube where the conclusion was that the real life difference between m.2 and regular SSD sata 3 is like just a few seconds...... SSD disks are much cheaper as i understand, but does it really has a price worth difference between M2 and SSD?

i dont really plan to use old drives anymore for the work/edit...... going to leave them just for everyday things.....But i am i really need help with what Files/Folders should go to what drive!....   also i am kind off looking for like $ vs performance..... dont really want to be in situation where i spend 400-500$ extra dollars and get 0.5% performance boost.

regards 

• 3. Re: Boosting an old system
              1. Yes, that is the M.2 SSD that I was referencing.
              2. M.2's are SSD's but with several different interfaces, SATA III SSD's are limited to 6Gbits/second, M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD's are limited to 32Gbits/second meaning that they can be better than 5 times faster.  Be careful not all M.2 devices and connectors are PCIe Gen 3 or offer x4 (4 PCIe lanes).  The M.2 interface 850 EVO m.2 is not a PCIe interface it is a SATA III M.2 interface and as such less than 1/5 the speed but of course for about 1/2 the price--so it is up to you are you buying for today or are you buying for the long run?
              3. My setup for file placement:

Re: Best configuration of drives, scratch disks, etc in new system for using Premiere?

As far as the difference in speed goes those Utubers are not editing video in those "few seconds difference"   In my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) test we have a Disk Intensive Export Benchmark and the export time to a SATA III SSD takes 77 seconds (480MB/s) while the same timeline in my X99 motherboard with the 32Gbits/second M.2 socket and the Samsung 950 Pro exports in 24 seconds (1548MB/s).  That of course is a write rate test but the read rate (see below for test on my system) is even better and proportional, wouldn't you rather have a super fast read rate to insure you are getting smooth editing and playing in the timeline?

• 4. Re: Boosting an old system
                naumen Level 1

Hello and thank u for the info, i did not realize that everything that looks like pci is not necessary pci..... Seems like M.2 PCI is a way to go! If u dont mind i have a few more questions....

1. What are the recommended PCI adopters for that M.2 card? also as i understand most current PCI adopters are x4, Are there any x8 ? as i understand the x8 should have faster rate...

2. as far as i understand the more files u write to cards like that, the faster the card may get broken.... so i d like to ask what is not necessary to put there? what are the files that does not require high speed?

Project files, Project Autosaves, audio files, still images, Media Cache Files, Media Cache Database, Scratch,  Camera media (original video files that needs to be edited), Exports, video Previews, Audio Previews

3. I hope i got it right and my mother board Asus X79-DELUXE has PCI ex 3 !  Could u suggest plz what pci slot i should use on my mother board for best performance? i have my VGA in slot 1 (the one that is closer to CPU)

4. Page file size?

5. What is the File System to be used with these SSD and M.2 SSD drives? What would be the Allocation unit size?

Here what i plan to do:

1. C: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB (brand new) - Win 8.1 64 bit, ALL the SOFT, Page File

2. D: Samsung SSD 950 m.2 512 GB (brand new) -  i still need your suggestion about what is best to put here!

3. E: Samsung SSD 840 pro 256 GB (old) - i still need your suggestion about what is best to put here!

4. F,G my old drives for other things not related to editing, its for everyday use....

Regards

• 5. Re: Boosting an old system
                  JFPhoton Level 3

1. overclock your CPU for better performance. You should be able to get 4.3 Ghz to 4.5 Ghz safely. Overclocking the CPU WILL provide a significant boost in performance.

2. A minimum 4GB of DDR5 video memory is now recommended for work with 4 K files. Consider adding a second NVidia GPU with the larger video memory. Your current card should work together with a newer one and WITHOUT "SLI".........as long as both cards are using the same drivers from NVidia, there should be no problem. So, a 970 or the more expensive 980ti can be considered. If a new video card is outside of your current budget, you can "tweak" the current performance of your existing video card by overclocking the " memory clock" on it using a free program like MSI Afterburner. This works with the 7xx series cards,but, NOT the 9xx series cards. Two GPUs CAN speed performance of certain, but, not ALL operations in PPro...Bill Gehrke has a 7xx series card working with a 9xx series card and he can tell you what exactly is improved by doing  this.

3. You have 40 lanes of PCI Generation 3 available on your motherboard. That is plenty.  Even if 2 GPUs take up 32 lanes, you still have 8 left.  To get the best performance and speed from your drive setup you can :

A. Keep and use the existing 256GB Samsung 840 Pro as your "boot" drive. This drive should ONLY contain the OS, programs, and Windows page file. Once loaded, the items on the boot drive become "memory resident", so an 850 Pro would not offer that much improvement over your existing drive.

B. Using a PCI to m.2 adapter, you would connect a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro PCI SSD...this will use 4x Gen. 3 lanes......leaving you at least 4 remaining. ALL FILES not on the boot drive regarding PPro would go here for fastest performance, ( i.e. media files, project files, previews, exports, cache, and madia cache ). The FULL DUPLEX nature of the NVMe drive means that it is BI-DIRECTIONAL...it can read and write at the same time, unlike SATA drives which can only do ONE operation at a time. In addition, the massive speed of reading and writing means that this one drive will be the best to handle all your work. However, the capacity is only 512GB. That means that you will have to "offload" media, project files, and exports onto a backup drive when projects are complete, so yo can free up space on the PCI SSD for newer projects. Your board has MANY SATA III ports where you can attach SSDs for this purpose. You may even create a RAID 0 of several SSDs for a larger capacity and speed. The age of mechanical, spinning hard drives is almost over....they are slow, they have "fill degradation", and their latency is high compared to SSDs....not to mention that their reliability is TERRIBLE compared to SSDs.

You could choose a high quality enterprise level HDD for your backup drive.....there are many with a 128 MB cache which provide over 200MB/sec performance for a reasonable price.

Be aware that newer versions of CCloud PPro contain significant improvements in using system memory.....especially with 4K files. CS 6 does NOT contain the "fix" for the old problem of canon .mov files which would trigger a 32bit operation and CRIPPLE your computer because of the use of "Quirktime", ( Quicktime). The newer CC versions eliminated that problem. Also, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 contain improvements in speed and in handlng the new PCI SSD drives.......you may want to consider using Windows 10 and the newest CC PPro.

• 6. Re: Boosting an old system

naumen wrote:

Hello and thank u for the info, i did not realize that everything that looks like pci is not necessary pci..... Seems like M.2 PCI is a way to go! If u dont mind i have a few more questions....

1. What are the recommended PCI adopters for that M.2 card? also as i understand most current PCI adopters are x4, Are there any x8 ? as i understand the x8 should have faster rate...

2. as far as i understand the more files u write to cards like that, the faster the card may get broken.... so i d like to ask what is not necessary to put there? what are the files that does not require high speed?

Project files, Project Autosaves, audio files, still images, Media Cache Files, Media Cache Database, Scratch,  Camera media (original video files that needs to be edited), Exports, video Previews, Audio Previews

3. I hope i got it right and my mother board Asus X79-DELUXE has PCI ex 3 !  Could u suggest plz what pci slot i should use on my mother board for best performance? i have my VGA in slot 1 (the one that is closer to CPU)

4. Page file size?

5. What is the File System to be used with these SSD and M.2 SSD drives? What would be the Allocation unit size?

Here what i plan to do:

1. C: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB (brand new) - Win 8.1 64 bit, ALL the SOFT, Page File

2. D: Samsung SSD 950 m.2 512 GB (brand new) -  i still need your suggestion about what is best to put here!

3. E: Samsung SSD 840 pro 256 GB (old) - i still need your suggestion about what is best to put here!

4. F,G my old drives for other things not related to editing, its for everyday use....

Regards

1. Here are three that I have and have tested (below).
                    2. Here is the warranty on the Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB,  "5 Years or 400TBW".  .If you have medium high projects of 500 GB and each week you have a new one that means your 950 Pro could theoretically last 15 years.
                    3. Your motherboard has the following PCIe slots.   I would use first the x4 slot for it, what ever you do do not use the x1 slot of course.

3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)512GB,

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x4 mode)

2 x PCIe x1

4.  When in doubt go with the default

5.  NTFS

Since you have that third SSD you could put the Adobe Media Cache and Media Cache Database on it and ALL your project files go on the fastest drive the 950 PRO.  When you finish a project archive it off the 950 Pro

ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 (old style) I just ordered the new MINI

Addonics ADM2PX4

Lycom DT-120

The last two are identical cards

• 7. Re: Boosting an old system
                      naumen Level 1

thank you for the info guys! will order that pci adopter and 950 pro with my next salary, cant wait to get the new experience with the newer tech... 

2 more question...

1. i am not really following PC news, but i wonder if there are any rumors about Samsung 950 pro with 1TB space? 512gb is ok with my current projects , but 1TB would be feature proof....

2. what is the best ssd HDD brand now? as i already told i want to change my current system disc samsung 840 pro, to a newer one possibly to 850 pro..... or sandiscs are safer options now?

Regards

• 8. Re: Boosting an old system
                        1. 1TB are coming but when???
                        2. I doubt you see any performance difference going from the 840 Pro to a 850 Pro.  I got a little laugh from your "ssd HDD" question, I assume you are asking about the best SATA SSD.  There probably are quite a number of other good ones out there but I do not currently know of any good reason to avoid the Samsung's
                        • 9. Re: Boosting an old system
                          naumen Level 1

yes i did not notice my self writing sdd hdd.... lol! I am not that much worry about ssd sata III speed.... as it is for the system, and i dont think there could be reasonable improvements. yes faster start up is nice, but how much faster it could go... 2..3 sec... what i am worried about is Reliability for the system...i dont know how to check the reason for this, but my system fails 1 time every few weeks.... and to be honest i suspect its a 840 fault.... i also read somewhere on forums that its not very "stable" , even if its not 840s fault, i will feel safer with New, possibly improved model, and as 1 of my SSD sata discs failed recently , i need a spare one anyway (will use my 840 for it)

• 10. Re: Boosting an old system

Now that sound like a great upgrade.