1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 11:01 AM by RoninEdits

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB but which one?

msp1518 Level 1

I am finally going to upgrade my five year old graphics card and am looking at the EVGA Ge Foirce GTX960 4GB... But which one shoyuld I get? Amazon has multiple choices.

The one I am looking at is this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UOYQ5LA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_3&smi d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card 04G-P4-3966-KR

$204.99 for the one I am viewing. There are others at varying prices. Can someone shed some light on what the difference is? If any of note?

• 1. Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB but which one?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the small/short ones are for home theatre pc's, probably not what you want.

the 4gb version is good, to allow for 4k.

the superclocked or overclocked versions set the gpu core and memory speed to higher settings than stock. according to bill these do not make any difference with cuda and adobe software, so you don't need to worry about those overclocked versions. however certain ones are made with premium components and better designed to handle the stress of overclocking, so they can offer better quality hardware. i think evga's FTW (for the win) models are one of those premium hardware cards. as long as you aren't going in to the overclock settings and turning it up, any card should be fine for normal use.

the other difference is heatsink/fan designs. fans between 1 to 3 on different mfg models. some like asus strix offer silent operation mode, which turns off the fans until the card gets to a certain temp, then it turns on. most cards are like the one you listed, two fans, which mostly exhaust hot air into the rest of the case. if you have a case with limited air flow, or just want to keep the temps down, then the reference design blower style will help that. they can be louder, but exhaust hot air out the back of the computer. they look like this  PNY GeForce GTX 960   some of the single fan cards look like this, but aren't sealed and would leak air inside the case.