8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 10:33 AM by Teledyol

Creating responsive web galleries

BK_IS Level 1

Does Lightroom have the option to create responsive web galleries??

The templates I have reviewed all seem to not have that as an option.

Hopefully, I've just missed the option.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

BK

• 1. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Please go into more detail about what you mean by "responsive galleries".

• 2. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
            BK_IS Level 1

Hello ManiacJoe!  Thanks for the question. By responsive galleries, I mean that when the viewport is small or the window resized, the contents within the window(page) adjust accordingly utilizing media queries, CSS or design breakpoints so that the viewer has an optimal user experience no matter what device they happen to be using such as phones, tablets, laptops or desktops.

Since Lightroom has built-in templates, I was hoping to find a responsive gallery option... otherwise I'll have to code one up myself - but that takes time away from other pressing projects. I've appreciated the gallery templates in the past, but the last time I used them was for a non-responsive site.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and any others in the community that will point me in the right direction. BK

• 3. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

BK_IS wrote:

Hello ManiacJoe!  Thanks for the question. By responsive galleries, I mean that when the viewport is small or the window resized, the contents within the window(page) adjust accordingly utilizing media queries, CSS or design breakpoints so that the viewer has an optimal user experience no matter what device they happen to be using such as phones, tablets, laptops or desktops.

That level of programming is not all that difficult for web programmers, but the amount of coding is not small.

I have gotten to the point where I let others do that level of UI work. I use Flickr.com and SmugMug.com to display my images when I want that level of responsiveness.

• 4. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
                Teledyol Level 1

A +++member asking what one means by "responsive" is deflecting the question, if they've been around that long, they know perfectly well what you mean. This is not the first time they'e dealt with it, they prolly in triple digits by now…

Actually the old LR Flash Gallery template was fairly responsive for its time. I would still use it but the images aren't supported on iPhones or iPads. Flash had several issues (another discussion) but my point is that it actually worked quite well in some uses. LR still has not replaced it with something close. I was able to put up massive photojournalistic slideshows in a very short time with spotty bandwidth

Published from Haiti: Céant tackles Haiti's current issues with a surprising alliance between bitter rivals

October 2010  [ edited comment: This link should go to a Flash Web Gallery created in 2010 If you’re trying to access it from your iPad or other device that rejects Adobe Flash, then it would appear to be “broken,” It will work from Mac OS but not iOS ]

You spent some time on captions and you could get it up Q U ick !!! Try resizing the window and you'll see what I mean. Like I said it doesn't work with iOS but it was the most advanced gallery creator tool when it was released and until it was dropped from LR

I'm looking for a Bootstrap template, plugin or some other HTML5 method that would let me create a user template in LR.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest you look at The Turning Gate Galleries which have been developed alongside Lightroom development.. there is something for most.

• 6. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
                    Piotr Ku Level 1

Hi BK,

none of the templates included with Lightroom is fully responsive (RWD) as far as I know, but you can give a try to fontoGallery - a web gallery that you can install for your Lightroom - it is fully responsive (RWD) and free (in its basic Lite version) - you can download it from from the Adobe add-ons page: https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/2098 or from the original site: http://fonto.pl/fontogallery.html

• 7. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
                      BK_IS Level 1

Thanks for everyone who helped me out. These were all helpful suggestions. I wound up creating my own gallery pages that I hand coded using Bootstrap to be responsive and setup the images to open in lightbox2 when selected. Again, thank you!

• 8. Re: Creating responsive web galleries
                        Teledyol Level 1

BK_IS,

Here's to hoping that the Lightroom and Muse teams will collaborate on a Responsive Web Gallery similar to the Flash WPG that I refer to above, but without Flash. The Muse team did a great job releasing responsive capacity over the last couple of years.

As far as I'm concerned this question is NOT answered. The WPGs in Lightroom are a big step backwards from 10 years ago and could use the attention.

RAW

http://www.haitiaction.net/News/RAW/11_20_10/wpg/11_20_10/index.html