7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 4:17 PM by Colin Holgate

Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6

patrickpmm

I'm exporting a PNG Image Sequence from Flash CS6 which I am then bringing into Quicktime 7 Pro to compile as an MOV. I will send the MOV to Adobe Media Encoder and (somehow) figure out which are the best settings in AME to process the video into a usable format. Eventually it will be handed off to a vendor who will use some sort of software (I think Brightcove) that optimizes and uploads to a website for viewing on that site. It's 1920 x 1080 px, about 25 seconds of animations.

The part I am currently stuck on is, when exporting to PNG Image Sequence, Flash Professional CS6 gives me the option to export at 8 bit, 16 bit, or 32 bit. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on which to choose - 8, 16, or 32 - which will give the best quality without causing problems down the road for end-user viewing?

Thank you very much!

(I can't wait to finally upgrade to Animate to make this process a lot simpler!!!!!!)

• 1. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Use 32 bit. Also, you may as well export the mp4 from QuickTime Player 7. File/Export.../Movie to MPEG-4, make sure to go into Video Options and select best, two pass. Set the data rate to fairly high, say 10 mbps. You should get quite a good looking video that the Brightcove re-encoder can process to get their multiple data rate versions.

• 2. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6

Oh, in the MPEG-4 export settings make sure to choose H.264 as the video format, and AAC for the audio. Using 256 kbps for the audio should be ok.

• 3. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6
              patrickpmm Level 1

Hi Colin, do I have to export it as an MOV and then re-save as "converted" in order for your above tips to work? I am trying to follow them but the export comes our crazy grainy/choppy/low-res with that disintegrating look. I don't have any audio in my animations. The MOV from the Flash-generated PNG image sequence looks incredible, though. I can't figure out what on your settings suggestions I am getting wrong.... Probably something obvious that I am overlooking.

• 4. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6

After importing the image sequence I would save it as an MOV, just so that you can try repeated exports to mp4 without having to reimport the image sequence.

Check that in your export you had Key Frame on Automatic, not Every. Check that the Data Rate field says 10000 (it's kilobits per second). And double check that you have H.264 selected for the video format. The final file should be something like 30 megabytes, what size was your first attempt?

• 5. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6
                  patrickpmm Level 1

that was it... I had my Data Rate Field wrong (misguided attempt to do a mbps to kbps conversion in my head), so when I changed it to 10000 kilobits it saved the day!

That brings up an interesting question, though. I have three instances in this process to set a Frame Rate. My Flash file is set at 28 FPS. When I import the image sequence into QuickTime 7, I'm given a list of options that are not custom, 25, 29.97, and 30 are the closest offered to my 28. Then finally when I export an MP4 I am given a custom option. So I wonder which of these settings is the actual driver of the final result....? Any ideas?

By the way THANK YOU again for your guidance, this has been incredible.

• 6. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6
                    patrickpmm Level 1

...and one of the reasons I am asking is that I keep playing around with the settings because there are a couple of motion paths that look fantastic and smooth in my MOV (generated from Flash PNG Image Sequence), but when I convert to MP4 these particular motion tweens become a bit choppy. They are simple Text > Graphic Symbols moving left to right with a fade in at the beginning of the movement and a fade out at the end. As I said, smooth and clean and nice looking in the MOV but choppy in the MPG. I can't figure out which settings make it happen more than others. BUt if it goes all the way back to the original frame rate and how it's interacting with the other frame rate settings, I'd gladly change those.

• 7. Re: Exporting an PNG Image Sequence for video in Flash CS6

I would match one of the standard rates. It's possible that in going from 28 to the nearest QuickTIme Player rate, to the same rate as MP4, could lead to some duplicate frames.

One thing though, QuickTime Player doesn't know what frame rate you used. If you take your 28 fps and tell QuickTime Player that it's 30 fps, and you can live with the slight increase in speed, no need to go back and redo it in Flash.

Another thing that can cause choppiness in MP4 is the data rate. A high data rate is processor demanding, and a 1920x1080 video at high data rate could lead to some choppiness. In QuickTime Player 7 you can type Command-0 (zero) to view the movie at half size. If that's smooth you know the video is good, but just too demanding for your computer. The Brightcove processing might help with that. Or you could lower your starter data rate until the quality isn't perfect. 6 or 8 mbps might still look good, and would need a lot less CPU.

1 person found this helpful