4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 8:06 AM by aciccarelli

quality of emf images in exporting indesign file to pdf

aciccarelli

In my company, I prepare pdf reports. pdfs include charts that are generated in excel.

the process I use is:

make charts in excel-->export charts as emf in specific folder (export as emf is done with vba macro)-->link emfs to indesign-->export indesign as pdf(print)

i am trying to implement a type of chart that includes transparency (in the specific case, an histogram with transparent color, to highlight specific area of chart).

emf are exported "correctly", as can be seen in samples attached

the problem arises in indesign, when i export the indesign file as pdf (see final output):

-     I normally use compatibility Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3), which--for what I understand--does not recognize transparency and causes charts to be exported with transparency at 100%

-     if I use higher compatibility (Acrobat 5 or higher), transparency is exported correctly but all tables and chart exported look "fuzzy" (or maybe a bit too intense). The effect is not seen at higher zooms--but it is important for me that charts look OK at all zooms because report is sent to clients with full page as initial view.

using other format than emf is not viable option. what can be a solution in this situation? I would like to understand what is the type of export setting that I should use to get clean output.

in case this is known issue, i would like if you could please redirect me to correct discussion.

thank you.

• 1. Re: quality of emf images in exporting indesign file to pdf
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

EMF is absolutely the wrong format for this, IMO. That something else, is not a viable choice, is irrelevant, unfortunately.

If the charts are fine the way they are in Excel, just copy/paste them into InDesign. If they need tweaking, copy/paste to Illustrator. Tweak there and place the AI file in InDesign.

And stop using 1.3 and start using PDF/X-4.

• 2. Re: quality of emf images in exporting indesign file to pdf
            aciccarelli Level 1

thank you for your reply bob.

to put a bit more light on the publication process: i won't be able to handle each single chart, because i publish dozens of reports per week (on a daily basis), so charts must be linked to a source (in this case, they are linked to the emf file, stored in a folder where emf files are "constantly" updated). which means that i cannot do tweaking for individual charts--all changes to chart format are made in excel and chart is included "as is" in indesign file

i would love to use pdf/x-4, but that's exactly part of the problem: i can export emf transparency correctly with pdf/x-4, but details in the image look more stark--the effect to the eye (in particular at full-page zoom) being that of a blurry image.

by the way, is there any way to upload files here, so that i can provide an example?

thanks.

• 3. Re: quality of emf images in exporting indesign file to pdf
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can post screenshots or link to files in a dropbox folder. That said, you are using an inherently low end, imprecise graphic format and expecting high end results. There are trade offs to be made here.

The best advice I can give you without you actually hiring me to go through your entire workflow, is to stick with solid colors and make sure your transparency blend space in InDesign is set to RGB if these documents are going to be viewed on screen only.

• 4. Re: quality of emf images in exporting indesign file to pdf
                aciccarelli Level 1

Old one, but...setting transparency blend space to RGB seems to actually solve the problem, at least the problem I had. We can call this post SOLVED I guess...thanks Bob!