7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 12:59 PM by laurak15777950

Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?

laurak15777950

So I've yet to upgrade to El Capitan because I don't want to risk screwing up my Aperture app.  Its running just fine but I know I eventually will need to switch to Lightroom (Or at least start using lightroom instead of aperture) and in all likelihood will be forced at some point to upgrade to El Capitan.

Would there be a way to just stop using Aperture, and instead just start using Lightroom with a brand-new catalog and NOT import my managed library?

Say, going forward, that if I need to find a picture pre 2/23/16 (the date I'm writing this and downloaded LR), I open Aperture and grab that image or whatever and do what I need with it, and post-2/23/16 I just use Lightroom for all of my new photos that I've taken and use it as my new import, management, and editing tool?

So Aperture would still in essence live on my computer but...asleep...only brought to life if I need an old photo (which isn't very often).    It would preserve all of the edits I've made to my AP photos (which are the majority of them).  If I needed to pull in photos to LR to complete a collection of photos, say of my daughter, I could just import the selected images into LR from AP as a Tiff to preserve my edits.

Does this sound wonky? I have about 17000 images in my managed AP library, almost all are jpg if that matters. 

• 1. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi laurak,

Going forward if you do not upgrade to El Capitan and decide to keep Aperture and Lightroom both, then yes you can keep both of them as separate editing applications without interfering.

When you will install and start working with Lightroom, you will get a fresh empty catalog and you can start importing your new images in it or your complete Aperture Library if you want :

Aperture Import plug-in for Lightroom FAQ

If you want to selectively import images from Aperture to Lightroom, then you can select those images > export to your hard drive and then, import in Lightroom.

You can begin with a trial of Lightroom to see how it goes.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"Would there be a way to just stop using Aperture, and instead just start using Lightroom with a brand-new catalog and NOT import my managed library?"

This makes lots of sense. You can build up your Lightroom experience while keeping access to your Aperture work. If you eventually bring the Aperture images into Lr, you will then find the job easier.

I don't quote the rest of your post, but I would agree with your approach. I think it's important to set a clear date and not try to be too clever. So if the photo is taken before today, it's Aperture. From today, Lightroom.

John

• 3. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
              laurak15777950 Level 1

I'm correct in my assumption that the only way to import files while preserving the adjustments from Aperture is via a Tiff, correct? There is no way to import them as jpegs while saving the adjustments?

• 4. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
                Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

I believe Aperture allows to export in Tiff, jpeg, png and PSD and you can choose the format according to your choice.

• 5. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
                  laurak15777950 Level 1

Yep that I what I'm thinking.  It seems silly to try to force my aperture history into the lightroom world.  My only hope is that an eventual upgrade to el capital won't screw up this plan.

Now onto figuring out lightroom!!

Thanks for the help.

cheers

• 6. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I think that in the long run, all photos should be in the same "organizing" program, not some in Lightroom and some in Aperture.

Today, and in the next few weeks, you will not have any trouble remembering which photos were taken before 2/23/16 and which photos were taken after. But as the years go by, that information will no longer be in your memory, and having some photos in Aperture and some in Lightroom will simply slow you down.

Furthermore, if you leave the photos in separate applications, there's no way to do a search and find (for examples) all photos of a certain individual, or all photos taken in a certain location.

So using one "organizing" program has lots of benefits, and as far as I can see, no drawbacks.

• 7. Re: Aperture and Lightroom: can the two exist peacefully on my Mac?
                      laurak15777950 Level 1

except given that almost every photo in my library is an edited JPEG, the idea of transferring all of those photos and losing the adjustments sort of scares me.

if there is a workaround for this, I'm all ears!!!!  From what I've read if I use the plug in to transfer my managed library, I will lose all of my adjustments.

I mean, in the big picture I totally agree with you as far as having all of my images in one place. Aperture seems as though its at a dead end, although if the program continues to function at a basic level without updates there are a lot of things I really like about it. I also have a new baby and not a lot of free time, so knowing I have aperture to fall back on is comforting.  Walking into lightroom and only having short bursts of time to get to know it is sort of overwhelming.