19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 6:07 PM by Newsgroup_User

Bug - Shockwave not closing streams

Robert Crowe Level 1
      I've dug into this fairly deeply and I'm pretty sure it's a bug in Shockwave Player.

I have a Flash movie that I use both by itself, and embedded in a Shockwave movie as a Flash Sprite. The Flash streams and plays Youtube videos. What I'm seeing is that it works correctly when it runs by itself and I start and stop multiple streams (browsing through Youtube movies, watching a few seconds, and then going to the next). When I run it inside a Shockwave movie however the streams aren't closing, so after browsing through a few movies many streams are running at once until they complete.

To see an example, go to http://www.digparty.com/fb and use a network analyser, or just Task Manager, and watch the network traffic as you browse through Youtube videos on the "Your Playlist" page (Flash movie by itself) and inside a Digparty (Flash sprite inside Shockwave).
        • 1. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
          Level 7
          > I have a Flash movie that I use both by itself, and embedded in a Shockwave
          > movie as a Flash Sprite. The Flash streams and plays Youtube videos. What I'm
          > seeing is that it works correctly when it runs by itself and I start and stop
          > multiple streams (browsing through Youtube movies, watching a few seconds, and
          > then going to the next). When I run it inside a Shockwave movie however the
          > streams aren't closing, so after browsing through a few movies many streams are
          > running at once until they complete.

Do you observe the same behaviour when it's run as a projector or in the
          authoring environment? Which version of the Flash Asset xtra is
          available to Shockwave, and which version of Shockwave are you
          publishing to?
          • 2. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
            Robert Crowe Level 1
            I haven't tried a projector because we're only targeting Shockwave, but if it will help debug the problem I'm happy to do that. The video does not stream in the authoring environment, perhaps because of differences in the Flash security sandbox? We're publishing as Director 11 and the Flash sprite is Flash 8 (but from CS3) and AS2. The Flash Agent Xtra is 11.0r426 and the Flash Asset Xtra is 11.0r426 (11.0.0.426).
            • 3. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
              Level 7
              > I haven't tried a projector because we're only targeting Shockwave, but if it
              > will help debug the problem I'm happy to do that.

It might help narrow the issue down to Shockwave, an xtra, or all
              Director published content

> The video does not stream in
              > the authoring environment, perhaps because of differences in the Flash security
              > sandbox?

Is your swf linked to its external file, or fully imported? It should be
              linked if it needs to communicate with the outside world.

> We're publishing as Director 11 and the Flash sprite is Flash 8 (but
              > from CS3) and AS2. The Flash Agent Xtra is 11.0r426 and the Flash Asset Xtra
              > is 11.0r426 (11.0.0.426).

Where are you getting these version numbers from? The Agent xtra is
              authoring only, so I suspect the version info *isn't* from the
              Shockwave-support folder of a machine that exhibits the problem you
              describe. The most recently available version of the Flash Asset xtra
              (the xtra that matters) is 11.0.3.472 (via Shockwave) or 11.0.3.466 (via
              the hf3 patch for the authoring environment)
              • 4. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                Robert Crowe Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                > I haven't tried a projector because we're only targeting Shockwave, but if it
                > will help debug the problem I'm happy to do that.

It might help narrow the issue down to Shockwave, an xtra, or all
                Director published content

Ok, I'll try that and send the results.
                quote:

> The video does not stream in
                > the authoring environment, perhaps because of differences in the Flash security
                > sandbox?
                Is your swf linked to its external file, or fully imported? It should be
                linked if it needs to communicate with the outside world.

It is fully imported. When inside Director authoring it does communicate with the outside world for some REST calls, but can't seem to stream from Youtube. I can try linking instead and see if that makes a difference.
                quote:

> We're publishing as Director 11 and the Flash sprite is Flash 8 (but
                > from CS3) and AS2. The Flash Agent Xtra is 11.0r426 and the Flash Asset Xtra
                > is 11.0r426 (11.0.0.426).
                Where are you getting these version numbers from? The Agent xtra is
                authoring only, so I suspect the version info *isn't* from the
                Shockwave-support folder of a machine that exhibits the problem you
                describe. The most recently available version of the Flash Asset xtra
                (the xtra that matters) is 11.0.3.472 (via Shockwave) or 11.0.3.466 (via
                the hf3 patch for the authoring environment)

Sorry, I thought that was what you were asking for. Those are the versions of the xtra files under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Director 11\Configuration\Xtras. The Shockwave plugin version is 11.0.3, but I don't know how to pull out the version of the Flash Asset inside the plugin.

Are you able to duplicate the problem?

• 5. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                  Level 7
                  > Are you able to duplicate the problem?

Sorry, I don't do Facebook. Is there a URL I can look at that doesn't
                  require me to preconfigure something else?
                  • 6. Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                    Robert Crowe Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > Are you able to duplicate the problem?

Sorry, I don't do Facebook. Is there a URL I can look at that doesn't
                    require me to preconfigure something else?

Yes, here are two that are outside of Facebook:
                    Flash only: http://www.digparty.com/fb/youtube/youtube.html
                    Flash inside Shockwave: http://www.digparty.com/app/digparty.htm
                    I'll take these down once we're done testing.
                    • 7. Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                      Robert Crowe Level 1
                      I tried linking the Flash movie instead of fully importing and it didn't make any difference. In the Director authoring environment the REST calls still work, and streaming from Youtube still doesn't. In Shockwave running in a browser both still work, but the streams still aren't being closed. It's easiest to see in Firefox, which gives "Transferring from xxx.google.com" messages in the status bar at the bottom of the window. After starting up a few videos, going from one to the next before they finish, Firefox is running through several transfers and network utilization is through the roof. Doing the same thing in the pure Flash environment doesn't do that, and the same Flash movie is used in both places.

I also tried a projector but it died on startup. The code wasn't written for a projector and we must do something on a mode check or something else that gacks in a projector.
                      • 8. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                        Robert Crowe Level 1
                        Were you able to duplicate the problem?
                        • 9. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                          Level 7
                          > Were you able to duplicate the problem?

I /think/ so, but I'm not sure about that. It's difficult to create a
                          filter for Wireshark that lets me focus on streams open, and I didn't
                          test the standalone SWF. I'm inclined to agree that the SW piece keeps
                          hitting multiple FLVs. Can you post the code you use in your SWF for
                          opening and closing your NetConnection and NetStream? Are you accessing
                          these objects in Director via setCallback or similar - anything that
                          might leave a reference dangling and therefore keep an object alive?
                          • 10. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                            Robert Crowe Level 1
                            It's easy to see in Firefox by looking at the status bar, but you can just look at how total network traffic accumulates too. My guess is that once a stream is opened it stays open until all the media is streamed, probably because Shockwave is holding onto a reference somewhere.

I've tried to create the simplest test case I could, see http://www.digparty.com/test/testcase.zip

The real challenge in creating the test case has been to not use Youtube as a source of videos, since that adds a lot of code. It's been very hard to find videos that are big enough to take a couple of minutes to download, like a typical Youtube does, so that you can see the open streams start to build up. I've included links to several videos but really only one is big enough and the others get cached pretty quickly.

The NetConnection and NetStreams are all opened and closed by Flash.
                            • 11. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                              Level 7
                              If I take your example Director 11 file, remove the behavior from the
                              Flash sprite, move the 'loop on the frame' behavior a few frames further
                              down the score (bad juju to loop on the very first frame), republish
                              just the dcr (keeping the existing HTML file) and re-open it in my
                              browser it appears to stream one file at a time - like it should.
                              • 12. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                Robert Crowe Level 1
                                Ok, I just tried doing that - removing the behavior and moving the frame script down a few frames - but the behavior is the same as before; it's still hanging onto all the streams, and in Firefox I can see it running through them, trying to download all of them at once. I didn't keep the same HTML file, I just let Director republish both, what was that about? Are you sure that what you were seeing wasn't because the videos were cached on your machine? I'm on XP, using Firefox 3 and SW 11.0.3, what are you using?

BTW, I REALLY appreciate your making the time to dig into this!
                                • 13. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                  Level 7
                                  You're right - I was viewing cached content. And even when I move on to
                                  another clip the previous clips continue downloading into the cached
                                  file until complete.

So the best I can do is confirm your bug.
                                  • 14. Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                    Robert Crowe Level 1
                                    Well that's huge! I was beginning to wonder if it was just me. You aren't an Adobe employee by any chance are you? If not, do you have any tips for trying to submit this as a bug so maybe it might get fixed?

And actually if you're not an Adobe employee, or even I guess if you are, would you be interested in doing some Shockwave development? Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to take this offline.

Thanks!
                                    • 15. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                      Level 7
                                      > You aren't an Adobe employee by any chance are you?

Unfortunately not - in the sense that you're no closer to having your
                                      bug logged and acknowledged. It's been _years_ since I've recognised
                                      anyone from Adobe/Macromedia - other than Allen Partridge, who only logs
                                      in to post something and disappear - post here.

> If not, do you have any tips for trying
                                      > to submit this as a bug so maybe it might get fixed?

Start with the wishform at
                                      < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=11>
                                      and try Tom McCrystal's public bugbase
                                      < http://directorbugs.creativeperspectives.com> (I know some Adobe
                                      employees are subscribed to it, but it seems to have been down for a
                                      while, though that might be just me)
                                      If you don't get any joy there, try subscribing to Direct-L and bring it
                                      up there. I know Allen is subscribed and he posts there more frequently
                                      than here. You could also try mailing him directly: allenp (at) adobe
                                      (dot) com
                                      • 16. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                        Level 7
                                        > You're right - I was viewing cached content. And even when I move on to
                                        > another clip the previous clips continue downloading into the cached
                                        > file until complete.
                                        >
                                        > So the best I can do is confirm your bug.

I tried substituting your video/NetConnection/NetStream with an instance
                                        of the FLVPlayback component, but it too seems to download the entire
                                        file into the cache even when you've navigated its contentPath away to a
                                        different file >:(
                                        • 17. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                          Robert Crowe Level 1
                                          Do you have any interest in working on Director development for Digparty?
                                          • 18. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                            Robert Crowe Level 1
                                            Looks like Tom McCrystal's public bugbase is down. I get a blank page and when I tried the tech support email address for Creative Perspectives it bounced.
                                            • 19. Re: Bug - Shockwave not closing streams
                                              Level 7
                                              > Do you have any interest in working on Director development for Digparty?

Let's take it off-list. My email address is sean (dot) n (dot) wilson
                                              (at) gmail (dot) com