13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 5:43 AM by Hal P Anderson

Merge two photos?

rugfoot Level 1

I'm trying to merge two photos by using the new Photo Merge -> HDR function. I've found a couple of tutorials but nothing is happening for me after I chose two photos and clicked Photo -> Photo Merge -> HDR. One tutorial suggested a pop-up preview and a progress bar should appear. I'm working in the Develop module, which I figure is correct. What could I be missing?

• 1. Re: Merge two photos?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are the 2 images of the same scene at different exposures? If not then LR has no idea what you are trying to do.

High Dynamic Range needs at least 2 images of the same scene shot at different exposures and from the same location. LR take those 2 images and overlay them to create one image with More Dynamic Range.

If you are trying to combine 2 separate images of different subjects then you need Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Merge two photos?
            rugfoot Level 1

Yes, they're two shots of the same scene at different exposures - I had an idea of combining them in Photoshop but then noticed Lightroom now has a merge option. Maybe the exposures are two different? One is quite dark and one quite bright. Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

• 3. Re: Merge two photos?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have both images highlighted, and they are very close to the same content, then the HDR merge should work. Are you getting an error message?

• 4. Re: Merge two photos?
                Hal P Anderson Level 6

Merge doesn't work with Virtual Copies. Could that be your problem?

Hal

• 5. Re: Merge two photos?
                  rugfoot Level 1

Spot on Hal. One of those things you just would never guess (why?!?). Thanks! (ps have to say not that impressed with the results, but there you go). Richard

• 6. Re: Merge two photos?
                    rugfoot Level 1

See message below - doh! Thanks for looking into it, Jim!

• 7. Re: Merge two photos?
                      rugfoot Level 1

See message below - now, I never would have thought of that! Thanks for looking into it! Richard

• 8. Re: Merge two photos?
                        Hal P Anderson Level 6

I reckon it's a bug. There's no reason it shouldn't work with VCs, and even if there were, LR should give an error message.

Hal

• 9. Re: Merge two photos?
                          rugfoot Level 1

Right. It just doesn't do anything, so no clues as to why it doesn't work. As you say, no reason why VCs shouldn't work. Ours not to reason why...

• 10. Re: Merge two photos?

I suspect it is because a VC is not an image and really doesn't exist outside of LR. It is just a reference inside the LR database file. Maybe if you were to Export that VC and then use the exported version and the original.

• 11. Re: Merge two photos?
                              Hal P Anderson Level 6

In all other ways VCs are treated exactly like non-VCs. That's the whole point. In this case they should have all the usual rights and responsibilities, just like they do elsewhere.

• 12. Re: Merge two photos?

Hal P Anderson wrote:

In all other ways VCs are treated exactly like non-VCs. That's the whole point. In this case they should have all the usual rights and responsibilities, just like they do elsewhere.

Right and they still are in Merge HDR. They are not an Image. They are a Make Believe (Virtual) copy.

How to merge images that you took using different camera exposures. Your final image of a high contrast scene will show the detail you recorded in those exposures.

A VC is not an image. It is just a second reference in the LR catalog, database file, that you can try different edits on (and those edits are stored in the same database not to or inside the VC).

So basically the OP has only selected one image, not 2 or more images of the same scene.

• 13. Re: Merge two photos?
                                  Hal P Anderson Level 6

You don't know that he did that. If you take VCs of one image, and try to do an HDR, I agree it shouldn't work. But you still should get an error message.

However if you take VCs of several images and ask for an HDR, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. In fact, currently, if the most-selected image is a non-VC and the rest are VCs, LR will produce the HDR with no problem. If VCs aren't real images, as you claim, that shouldn't work. It's a bug, and I suspect it'll be fixed soon.

Hal