14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 7:15 AM by ssprengel

Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window

lawcoleman Level 1

Photos that have already been imported into LR5 are treated like new photos, available to be imported even though I have checked the option to import only new photos.  These photos show up normally within LR and are editable. In other words, LR seems to think they are new for importing and not-new because they are editable within LR. I suspect this happened recently when I moved the external drive containing the photos and catalog from laptop (where I had been doing editing) to desktop without first saving the catalog to the external drive.  When I booted up LR in the desktop, I got a "Corrupted catalog, do I want to repair?" msg.  LR said it was satisfactorily repaired, but I'm thinking "not quite."

Any suggestions for fixing the problem? 

• 1. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
          Laura Shoe Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "not new because they are editable", but if you have two different file names for the same photo, the Import dialog will not detect these as duplicates and both versions will be imported.

• 2. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
            dj_paige Level 9

Photos that have already been imported into LR5 are treated like new photos, available to be imported even though I have checked the option to import only new photos.

There are lots of reports in this forum of this feature of Lightroom not working properly. It happened to me once or twice. In other words, this is a bug. I am not aware of a fix. As far as I know, you will just have to work around this problem. You might want to file a bug report.

• 3. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
              lawcoleman Level 1

The only issue close to this that I have found involves the Library actually forgetting already-imported photos.  In these cases it's necessary to re-import if you want to work on the photos.  But in my case ALL of the photos still show up in the Library and are editable.  But if I try to import new photos, the previously imported and edited photos show up as "new" and will be re-imported along with the actual new ones unless I uncheck them.  Curiously, only photos with one or more stars are treated this way...the non-starred photos do not appear in the Import window. 

If I am wrong and that this particular problem has been reported, I apologize but none showed up when I searched the forum.

• 4. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                dj_paige Level 9

The only issue close to this that I have found involves the Library actually forgetting already-imported photos.

This is an entirely different issue.

If I am wrong and that this particular problem has been reported, I apologize but none showed up when I searched the forum.

I have seen it reported in this forum plenty of times.

• 5. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                  lawcoleman Level 1

Interesting.  I have been unable to find even a single post on this particular topic after trying multiple times. I did find a case or two where the poster realized they had not checked the box for "Don't import suspected duplicates" and withdrew the request for help, but none like my situation.  I have tried again. And again.  Could you please give me a search string that works to find some existing threads like my problem?

Just to be clear:

I imported new photos.  Later I wanted to import more new photos I added to the same folder.  I click on "Don't import suspected duplicates," but LR shows the already-imported photos (those with at least one star) along with the actual new ones I want to import.  These already-imported ones appear normally in Library and are editable and have metadata and previous edits and all seems normal, yet LR wants to import them as not being duplicates anyway.

• 6. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                    dj_paige Level 9

search for

import duplicate photos

• 7. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you explain a little more about the situation with these photos?

Is this an Add type of Import where you’ve copied the photos from the camera memory card or other location to their final location on the hard drive before importing, or are you doing a Copy or Copy as DNG import from a camera or camera memory card that has not had the previous set of photos removed, yet?

If you leave these existing photos as selected for Import and redo the Import with them as part of the set, do you get another copy of the photo with a different name or is the history of the previous edits to the photo truncated and you see just Imported as the only history step or is it just a problem that the import takes more time even though you end up with nothing wrong or different with the photos even though they import multiple times?

A corrupted catalog could easily be a problem.  To see if that’s what’s wrong. Create a new, empty catalog.  Import one photo into it, then copy a new photo to the same location and redo the import from that location and see if the old photo is picked up, again, or if you only see the new photo when you have New Photos selected.

In your initial post you describe having moved the drive from one computer to another without first saving the catalog to the external drive.  Do you mean you ejected or physically unplugged the drive without first shutting down LR?  Or are you using a local catalog that is synced to the external drive periodically and you forgot to do that?  A catalog is written to immediately, at least the journal file, there is no “save catalog” function, anywhere, so the use of that phrase is confusing.

• 8. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                        dj_paige Level 9

A corrupted catalog could easily be a problem.  To see if that’s what’s wrong. Create a new, empty catalog.  Import one photo into it, then copy a new photo to the same location and redo the import from that location and see if the old photo is picked up, again, or if you only see the new photo when you have New Photos selected.

As I understand things, a corrupted catalog will not open.

A bug in Lightroom could certainly cause this issue, and could be specific to a single catalog for reasons I can't explain.

The OP stated:

I imported new photos.  Later I wanted to import more new photos I added to the same folder.

While this workflow should work, and appears to not work because of a bug, I abhor this workflow because it does lead to problems, not just because of this presumed bug. To me, it makes much more sense to take photos straight out of the camera and import them by copying them to a folder named by capture date, and then once successful and everything is backed up, you can delete the photos from the camera card so the card is empty for your next shoot. In this way, there is never a possibility of importing duplicate photos.

• 9. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window

Ok, then, a repaired, previously corrupted catalog could easily be the problem.

• 10. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                            dj_paige Level 9

Well, I suppose that's possible, but we also see people in this forum (including me) reporting the same presumed bug who have never had a corrupted catalog issue.

• 11. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                              lawcoleman Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

Is this an Add type of Import where you’ve copied the photos from the camera memory card or other location to their final location on the hard drive before importing, or are you doing a Copy or Copy as DNG import from a camera or camera memory card that has not had the previous set of photos removed, yet?

ADD type import from external hard drive where RAW images were copied from SD card.

If you leave these existing photos as selected for Import and redo the Import with them as part of the set, do you get another copy of the photo with a different name or is the history of the previous edits to the photo truncated and you see just Imported as the only history step or is it just a problem that the import takes more time even though you end up with nothing wrong or different with the photos even though they import multiple times?

I am more that a little reluctant to actually re-import images that are already acting normally inside LR.

So I have not re-imported.

Haven't done this, mainly because the problem does not apply to all folders so it's probably not endemic to the catalog formation.

In your initial post you describe having moved the drive from one computer to another without first saving the catalog to the external drive.  Do you mean you ejected or physically unplugged the drive without first shutting down LR?  Or are you using a local catalog that is synced to the external drive periodically and you forgot to do that?  A catalog is written to immediately, at least the journal file, there is no “save catalog” function, anywhere, so the use of that phrase is confusing.

I meant that I didn't do a catalog back-up (because I did not quit LR before moving the external drive to the other computer, so yes I ejected the external HD before shutting down LR).  This external drive has both the original photos and the master catalog and I simply using it with identical version of LR on the two computers.

When I brought the HD over to the desktop and opened LR, I got a "corrupted disk, do I want to try to repair it" msg, clicked Yes, and LR claimed to have repaired it successfully.  It was after this that the problem appeared...but not on all previously imported folders.

Your suggestion of a corrupted disk could well be correct, but dj_paige points out that others have had essentially the same problem without a (known) corruption issue.  I haven't seen anyone have my exact problem in which only some folders are involved and only some photos within a folder are involved (the ones with star ratings greater than zero.)  I think my problem is not as bothersome as others, although it would be good to know the reason.  If it cannot be resolved, I will report it to Adobe.  Along with the others.

• 12. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window

Since this issue apparently only occurred after your catalog repaired after becoming corrupted by premature drive disconnection, it's almost certainly related to the repaired catalog not quite being consistent within itself.

I would suggest you create a brand new catalog, and use File / Import from Another Catalog to import all your image settings from your old catalog into the new catalog and use this new catalog from now on and see if you continue to have the problem.

It would also be worth turning on Show Photos from Subfolders, and then comparing the photo counts of your top-level folders in the old catalog to counts of photos of the top-level folders in your new catalog, as well as the total photos in each catalog, and see if these two sets of number match between the two catalogs.  If not then which one has lower numbers?

My theory about what is happening is the simple check LR does to detect duplicates is from an area of the catalog that is missing record of some images due to the corruption repair, but that the area of the catalog that is used to apply develop settings has all the images listed so the images appear ok when you look at them in the grid view or filmstrip.  It would be this proposed internal inconsistency that causes images to be not seen during import but seen during normal processing.

It's possible that LR would just replicate such an inconsistency into the new catalog when it imported from the old catalog but my hope would be that it does things in a different way and wouldn't.  You would want to compare the photos counts between the two catalogs to see if anything was different.  Before you do this make note of a folder that has these phantom images being offered again for import then check the same set of images in the new catalog to see if everything is now being accounted for or not.

• 13. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Since this issue apparently only occurred after your catalog repaired after becoming corrupted by premature drive disconnection, it's almost certainly related to the repaired catalog not quite being consistent within itself.

I can't follow the logic here. The cause MIGHT (instead of "almost certainly") be the catalog was not properly repaired, or it MIGHT be something else, especially since others have had the same problem with no catalog corruption or repair.

• 14. Re: Imported photos are treated like new photos in the Import window

I'm hoping the user can test a few scenarios on their side before asking for their catalog and their set of photos some of which are already in the catalog and some of which are new, to test and see if the same thing happens when the catalog is elsewhere.