6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 8:25 AM by Robert Benson

Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015

Mark Graf

I am really hoping someone can help as I am at my wits end trying to fix this.

I have Lightroom CC 2015.4, Photoshop CC 2015 1.2, and Photoshop CS6 installed on my Mac (OS 10.11.3 El Capitan).   All seemed to live together in harmony until something just recently happened, some update to I am not sure which, caused this issue.

If I go to a PSD file in my Lightroom Catalog, select Edit In > Edit in Photoshop CC 2015 > Edit Original - Lightoom opens the file in Photoshop CS6.  (It never used to do this!)

If I go to a raw NEF file in my Lightroom Catalog, select Edit In > Edit in Photoshop CC 2015 > Lightroom opens the file in Photoshop CC 2015. (behavior as expected)

If I go to open a TIF file in my Lightroom Catalog, select Edit In > Edit in Photoshop CC 2015 > Edit Original - Lightroom opens the file in Photoshop CS6 (UGHH!!!!)

I have tried all of the following with no luck in correcting this issue:

- reset Lightroom preferences

- reset Photoshop CC2015 preferences

- reset Photoshop CS6 preferences

- checked the file association for PSD files in Finder using Get Info, and made sure all PSD files are associated with Photoshop CC 2015

- renamed Photoshop CS6 file to "old Photoshop CS6"

- named an alternative external editor as Photoshop CC 2015 - still opens files using PS CS6

- named an alternative external editor as Photoshop CS6 with primary option as CC 2015, still opens in CS6 when selecting CC 2015

- checked if CS6 app that is opening is pointing to some backup on Time Machine drive or on a clone drive - it is not.  (all are on same SSD drive)

The only thing I haven't done is completely uninstall CS6, which I have left around just because it is a bought, fully owned version of the software, vs. my "rental" CC 2015 version.

Is this some bug with Lightroom?  Any further advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
      mark

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
          ventanas1 Level 1

Similar issue. I have both 32bit and 64bit Photoshop CC 2015. 32bit because of legacy plugins. they cannot share the same preferences file since the most recent update. Keep getting messages about missing java script files etc.  So delete preferences file and run 64bit version and all is ok (with that one but not the 32bit) It seems to be the new Start Screen that is the root of the issue.

But whenever I choose edit in external app from Lightroom the 32bit version tries to open. As far as I'm aware there is no way to edit the default app. Can work around by having 64bit already running (and it's quicker this way) but should not be happening.

Only seems to be a problem since the last update. I think will leave it until 2016 is released and then drop 32bit. In meantime keep 64bit Photoshop running.

Makes no difference to me whether it's tiff or NEF - always 32bit opening unless 64bit is running. In fact it seems to can default to any previous version of Photoshop if it already running when you choose Edit In.

I still have CS6; CC; CC2014 installed x32 and x64 for each. They all still work ok.

By the way I'm using Windows. Don't know if Mac is affected by this.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
            Mark Graf Level 1

It does not work for me to have CC2015 already running.   It still opens CS6.

I did a chat session w/ Adobe Support.  Only solution was to uninstall CS6 and delete it.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
              Mark Fagan Level 1

You have to go to Edit/Preferences/External Editing.  Go to Aditional External Editor and Choose.  You will need to point it to Adobe Photoshop CC 2015's location and execution file on your computer.

I don't use a Mac but in Windows it's fairly easy.  Go to a Photoshop CC icon and right click on it.  In Windows 10 you will get a choice of More, and hovering over that gets you OPEN FILE LOCATION.  This gives you the shortcut to Photoshop CC.  Right click again, choose Properties and you will see the location of the file.  It will look something like "C:\Program Files\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Photoshop.exe".  Don't include the quotation marks.

Copy that and paste it into the box for the external editor.  It should work if you got the right file and location.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
                ventanas1 Level 1

Thanks, Yes, I know I can do that, but it ties up the additional editor which may be needed for other uses.

Right at the top of the box it states "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2015"  Doesn't state which one, and that option cannot be altered, unless the path is stated somewhere in the registry.

Why that statement should make it default to the 32bit version is beyond me, and I have deleted the Lightroom Preferences file to see if that fixed it - it didn't

64bit Lightroom is installed by the way.

I would uninstall the 32bit Photoshop because its useless since the introduction of the Start Screen. But that might foul up Lightroom altogether if it can't find Photoshop.

I'm going to have a delve through the registry, may find something. If not just keep 64bit running and it will load. And wait for CC 2016.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
                  ventanas1 Level 1

Ok bit the bullet and removed cc2015 x 32. It now defaults to CC2014.

So have 2015 x64 running before loading Lightroom and all is ok.

Don't think there is another way. If there's anything in the registry it's very well hidden.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.4 ignores Photoshop CC 2015
                    Robert Benson

I am having the exact same issue with my MAC running Yosemite. Choosing run copy with LR adjustments will cause it to open in CC2015 or raw file, but edit original will cause PS6 to open. I have set the external editors for both psd and tiff to be CC2015, and I have even reset LR Preferences at start up, and still have same issue. And after improperly loading the PSD file in CS6, and quitting immediately, then may cause a warning exclamation on the thumbnail stating a conflict in settings and the LR catalog.