5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 11:41 PM by Homerj222

Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]

Winegar?

I have Adobe DC for iPad.  Since the latest update to version 16.02.23 I have lost the freehand menu that allows me to change the color, thickness and opacity of freehand comments.  Has it been moved to another location?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

Would you tell us more about your problem so that we can help you?

I have lost the freehand menu that allows me to change the color, thickness and opacity of freehand comments.

Are you saying that you no longer see the context menu (with the Delete, Color, Thickness, and Opacity options), when you tap an existing freehand drawing on a page?

Has the PDF document been sent/received via email?  Is the PDF document currently opened in Acrobat Reader for iOS (not Apple Mail or Safari)?

Would you please try the following steps in Acrobat Reader for iOS?

1. Tap the Pencil icon (the second one from the right) in the Comments toolbar (at the bottom),
          2. Draw.
          3. Tap Save in the top bar to save the change.
          4. Tap the drawing that you just added.

Does Acrobat show the context menu (with the Delete, Color, Thickness, and Opacity options)?

1. Close the document.
          2. Reopen the same document.
          3. Tap the drawing that you added in the previous document session.

Does Acrobat show the context menu (with the Delete, Color, Thickness, and Opacity options)?

Acrobat Reader for iOS may have a defect.  By asking these questions, I am trying to determine what triggers the behavior (of not displaying the context menu for freehand drawing).

Thank you for your help!

• 2. Re: Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]
            Winegar? Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I wasn't able to get Delete, Color, Thickness,

Opacity menu at all until finally I saved deleted the app, went to the app

store and downloaded it again.  Of course you lose all of your stored items

when you do this.  I do not know why this worked but I hadn't seen this

issue until the latest update was installed.  These PDF's were all mail

attachments using an exchange account.  The problem appears to be solved in

my case but someone with a lot of documents may find this to be extremely

inconvenient.  Thank you again for reaching out.

• 3. Re: Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]
              MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

I am so sorry about the loss of your local PDF documents on your iPad.

Unlike desktop apps, if you uninstall any iOS apps (not just Acrobat Reader for iOS), the operating system (iOS) will erase all of your locally stored documents and app-specific preferences on your iPad/iPhone.

We strongly recommend against uninstalling an iOS app unless you have backup copies of your documents.  Typically, a problem like yours will not be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Please take a look at the following FAQ document to prepare for accidental data loss in the future.

How to backup and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes

Now, regarding the Freehand context menu...

You did mention that your PDF documents were all email attachments.  I am wondering if the problem starts (a) after you add new Freehand Drawing annotations, (b) after some operation, such as closing a PDF document, adding some other type of annotation, or (c) after a PDF document containing Freehand Drawing annotations are sent as an email attachment from Acrobat Reader for iOS.

Do you use the Share File feature in Acrobat Reader for iOS to send your PDF documents via email?

ShareFileMenu.png

Which option do you choose in the following dialog?

ShareFile.png

When you choose the "Share Flattened Copy" option, all of the annotations (including Freehand Drawing annotations) in a PDF document will be "flattened".  It means that annotations and form fields will be turned into images and no longer interactive (editable).

Is it possible that the "Share Flattened Copy" option was used to send your PDF documents?

Would you make sure to choose the "Share Original Document" option and see if you can reproduce the same problem?

Please keep us posted about what you find.

Thank you again for your help.

• 4. Re: Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]
                Winegar? Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I don't believe the documents had been flattened

because all of the form fields were still working.  Since re-loading the

app I haven't had any problems.  I will try to duplicate the issue and

report anything to you.  Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Freehand Menu has Disappeared [iOS]
                  Homerj222

I just had to come to the forum for the same issue. My h

Pdf is from Dropbox. It doesn't make sense that I can change a highlight color before saving but not freehand

drawing. Oh well. I figured it out.