4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 8:42 AM by rob day

How to Convert RGB objects automatically.

noidontthankyou Level 1

I am running into a problem with automated pre-flights when delivering PDFs for print to some of our partners, bouncing back based on vector objects that use RGB swatches. My task is being the middle-man between a creative agency that designs our advertising and releasing it to the magazines that use them for print. I typically resize the files slightly based on the catalog, check to make sure the linked images are correct and so any minor updates, it should be super simple stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the design files from our agency use a mix of RGB and CMYK swatches for objects, and this has been repeatedly triggering the automated pre-flight software that one of our partners uses and then I have to hunt down each object and convert them, revising the files multiple times if I miss one. Although Illustrator isn't the ideal program for print advertising, I feel like the solve there is a lot simpler, if the document is in a CMYK profile then I never get flagged for the RGB swatches as they're converted over. Is there some way to check for RGB swatches automatically in InDesign, or get them flagged in the packaging step ( it doesn't seem to catch them).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to Convert RGB objects automatically.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Who makes the PDF?

It's quite easy to define a Preflight profile in ID to flag RGB colors, and you ought to be able to convert colors to a specified CMYK profile automatically on export if you are using the right settings.

Mostly it sounds like whoever is making the PDFs needs to set up an export preset to convert color to the printer's specified profile.

• 2. Re: How to Convert RGB objects automatically.
            noidontthankyou Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the printer's profile from them, otherwise that would be the best option. I hadn't realized the [Basic] Preflight settings aren't set to flag the RGB options. Now that i know where to look, it's easy to set that up to flag them.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: How to Convert RGB objects automatically.
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Quite often you can find the appropriate CMYK profile for publications online with their advertising technical specifications, and they often use industry standard ones. Once you have that, you can assign it to your InDesign documents, and convert any non-CMYK content to it when you export to PDF.

Or, you can settle for standard ones (like FOGRA39 in Europe, or SWOP in America), but that could be risky, especially with newspaper ads.

• 4. Re: How to Convert RGB objects automatically.
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the printer's profile from them, otherwise that would be the best option.

If you find RGB objects what will you do with them? The conversion to CMYK will require a profile no matter where you make it, so if you find an RGB swatch or image and change it to CMYK the conversion is via your document's CMYK profile. You'll get the same result if you leave the swatch as RGB and set the Output Destination to Document CMYK when you export. Both the PDF/X-4 and X-1a presets let you do that.