1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2013 12:16 PM by LuckyClover

Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Kathleen Pinto
      Hi. I have recently started using RoboHelp 8 and using the WebHelp Single Source Layout option, generated help to be deployed in an Oracle Application. I found that when a help topic is called from the Application, a blank browser window opens along with it. The project I used was created in an older version of RoboHelp (4x) and imported into RoboHelp 8. In order to rule out the possibility of errors during the conversion of 4x help files into 8, I created a new project in RoboHelp 8 and encountered the same problem when these help files were deployed to the Oracle Application. Does anyone know why this blank browser window displays along with the help file? Is there some way of getting around the problem?
        • 1. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Kathleen and welcome to the RH community.

Can you tell us which file is being called from the application? With webhelp output you should call the projectname.htm file in your output.
          • 2. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            This is a known problem and Vivek from Adobe posted in another thread that Adobe are working on it.

• 3. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
              Ben Minson Level 2
              Kathleen,

This may be an RH8 bug and a different problem than I've encountered, but I've had a blank window problem with one project, so I'll post our workaround.

The project where I've had the problem is a context-sensitive project. A developer tracked the blank window down and found it was whcsh_home.htm. He inserted the following line in that file between the last curly bracket and //-->.

window.setTimeout("self.close()", 5000);

Try inserting this line in that file and seeing if the window closes itself after a few seconds. In my case, the window was opening off the screen, so all we would see was a task bar button. But when we set the window to close itself, the task bar button disappears again, and it's not very noticeable that another window even opened.

--Ben
              • 4. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Please see the other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1046329#1046329

Adobe has posted instructions and I will be uploading a file to my site over the weekend.

Message was edited by Peter Grainge 4th May 2010 to correct the link and add that the missing file can be found at Item 1 on http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm

• 5. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                  Kathleen Pinto Level 1
                  Hi. I'm back again. Thank you for the suggestions. The file in question is whcsh_home.htm that was singled out as the file responsible for calling up a help file from an application.

Using the statement: window.setTimeout("self.close()", 5000); I found that both windows (the blank window as well as the help window) close simultaneously.

I had commented the following code as mentioned in Vivek's thread (displayed at the end of this message) but encountered a syntax error message.

I wish I could attach screenshots of the error messages encountered, in this reply. I'm looking forward to more suggestions towards a solution and appreciate all the help extended so far. Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                    I cannot help you on the code but this site will allow you to upload images, then you can post the links here.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/

• 7. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                      Ben Minson Level 2
                      The window.close statement is something that works up through RH7, so I threw it out as a possibility for working in RH8. However, because I can't find the if(curWnd) code in RH7 files, enough must have changed between those two versions that the window.close statement has different results in RH8. That's good for me to know about, so I appreciate your trying it. The only thing I could suggest is to verify that the statement is in the right place in whcsh_home.htm.

The strangest thing for me is that I have this extra window problem in one CSH project but not in another. I have no idea what the difference is.
                      • 8. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                        Kathleen Pinto Level 1

Hi.  I posted the questi

on about a blank window displaying along with the browser window.  I appreciate all the helpful suggestions extended in trying to solve this issue, but my problem still exists. Has anyone encountered this problem with RoboHelp 8x and if so, is there a solution to this?

• 9. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Kathleen

Are you saying you have left this for a year without resolving it? Problem now is the link to the topic with a solution is pointing to the old forums so I cannot read what was said there. I've tried searching but the forums are so slow today that I cannot track that post. I need to do that to see why my site doesn't seem to have the promised fix. Maybe Adobe created a Technote instead.

Do you have a working link to the other topic?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 10. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                            Kathleen Pinto Level 1

Hi.

My company had purchased RoboHelp 8 about a year ago and had encountered

this problem but I seem to have drawn a blank on every attempt I have made

to solve it.  Someone finally concluded that it was a bug in RH8.  This bug

was said to have been fixed in an update, but as far as I can see, it still

exists.  I have included some screenshots in the attached Word document that

explains the same problem.  I do hope you can help me with it.

Thanks.

Kathleen

• 11. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                              Brian.Mccaffery Level 1

Kathleen,

Just a shot in the dark.

If you are using IE as your browser,  see if a browser add-on is causing this (phishing addons etc)

Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all add-ons then re-enable them

one at a time until the troublesome add-on shows itself. Leave that one

disabled or uninstall it or see if there's an updated version which won't

cause problems.

Regards,

Brian

• 12. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

No document was attached and few people will open a Word document from a website.

Use the camera icon to insert images.

I think your best chance is to locate the other post.

@petergrainge

• 13. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                  kimcramer42 Level 1

This is exactly what's happening to my Help system. I reported it on 4/29 in the WebHelp forum ("CSH WebHelp opening 2 windows on launch, not 1") but got no reply. I've tried searching the forum to find the mentioned posts and I've tried looking at Peter's site - both with no results. Is a solution to the two-window on launch issue posted anywhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to report it as a bug.

Kim

• 14. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

There have been a number of threads on this problem, some for RH7 and  some for RH8. For RH8 a solution was posted in one of those threads but  the link to it in this thread was broken. I have traced that thread and  amended the link above. The linked thread indicates that some code is  attached but it is not! Can this problem take any more twists and turns?  However, it also refers to a download being available on my site. I  believe that is the file in Item 1 under  http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm There you will  find this problem can take another twist as I have indicated the fix was  built into the 801 patch! I am trying to get that verified by an Adobe  contact.

RoboHelp 7 users with this problem should  follow http://forums.adobe.com/message/2583529#2583529 where the current  status is that the problem is with engineering.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and  Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 15. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Is this still a problem needing a fix or has it gone away?

@petergrainge

• 16. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                        kimcramer42 Level 1

I applied the fix per your website, but nothing has changed. I still see the extra window every time Help is accessed. I did report a bug, so I'm hoping to see a fix one of these days.

Kim

• 17. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                          Derek Price

*Please note that what Derek posted below is a proposed solution to the issue.

I think I am using RH8 from before the 8.0.1 patch, but the 8.0.1  patch is incomplete.  I ended up removing all these lines from whcsh_home.htm, and passing  the option string to the last call to window.open.  This works with IE6,  IE7, & IE8:

if(gbIE5)
                                                               {
                                          //                        var curWnd = null;   
                                          //                        curWnd = window.open("about:blank",sNewName,strOpt);
                                          //                        if(curWnd)
                                          //                        {
                                          //                            curWnd.document.location.href = "about:blank";
                                          //                        }

goNewWnd=window.open(sURL,sNewName,strOpt);
                                                               }

Derek

Message was edited by: Captiv8r - Added a clarification note to the post.

• 18. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to our community, Derek

Please take a moment and read through the "Before you post" topic. I see you posted the same question three different times. Twice in another thread and once in this one. I've removed two of those leaving behind this one.

You may read the Before you post by clicking here.

Best of luck to you in finding a solution to the issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 19. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                              Derek Price Level 1

Hi Rick,

That isn't much of a welcome.  I had posted a solution, not a question, which is why I thought it might be worthwhile to add it to all three threads where I found incomplete solutions to the problem or only questions.  If you could go back and add at least a link to this thread from the threads where I posted the solution you deleted, you might help others with this same problem.  There appear to be quite a few.  I already spent some of my valuable time notating those threads and I don't have time to do it again.

Thanks!

Derek

• 20. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Sorry about that Derek

I guess I misread your posts. I didn't realize what you posted was a possible solution to the issue being discussed. Mea culpa for not digesting it fully!

Please understand that we see all manner of folks that just arrive here in the forums and blindly begin asking for help in thread after thread after thread. Yours appeared to be one of those because your post count indicated you were new.

Additionally, you didn't exactly make it clear that this is code that you found to be effective at solving the issue. We also see folks posting code that doesn't work and they want us to look it over and tell them why. Had you been more specific in claiming the changes you posted seem to correct the behavior, I'd probably have left the posts alone.

Well, I still would have deleted one of them as there were two posts saying the same thing in the same thread. I'll be happy to post a link in the other thread that points to the one where your code is.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 21. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                  MergeThis Level 4

Derek, can you clarify why: "I think I am using RH8 from before the 8.0.1 patch, but the 8.0.1  patch is incomplete."?

Seems like trouble, but you might have a really, really good reason...I guess.

Good luck,

Leon

• 22. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                    Derek Price Level 1

Thanks for partially restoring things, Rick,

The double-post happened when I clicked "edit" on two of my first posts since by the third I realized I'd left out the name of the file I'd edited.  When I added the file name and clicked "save", a second reply was added with the "new" content.  It appears to be a problem with the forum application.  I looked for a way to delete the less informative posts, but I couldn't find one.

If you could find the third thread and restore the more informative post there or link here again, I would appreciate it.  I didn't save the link as I trusted the forum to email me updates.

Thanks again,

Derek

• 23. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Hi Derek

Hmmm, as far as I know there were only two threads affected. I did see two different replies from you in the same thread as if you were replying to two different individuals that participated in the thread.

Any time a thread is replied to, you get subscribed to the thread automagickally (unless you have configured this otherwise in your forum profile - most folks don't bother with that) so perhaps you found two entry points to the same thread and thought you were replying to three different threads when it was actually two?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 24. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                        Derek Price Level 1

Hi MergeThis,

Um, I don't really have a good reason for not using the most up-to-date version of the file except that the documentation person who would normally be responsible for installing the RoboHelp update here is on vacation.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be a big deal in this case.  The only difference between my version and the 8.0.1 version of the file, mentioned by Peter Grainge above and linked to on his site, is that these four lines (commented in my patch) are already missing:

//                        if(curWnd)
                                                        //                        {
                                                        //                            curWnd.document.location.href = "about:blank";
                                                        //                        }

Vivek (from Adobe), mentions removing them in this thread, for the 8.0.1 update.  Both he and Peter mention the link to the updated file in the same thread.  Unfortunately, that change is incomplete.  Without removing the first window.open() line, the link works twice, but not a third time, as mentioned by at least one other poster.  Once that line is removed, it is also necessary to pass the window options into the remaining call or the new window won't look right.

Regards,

Derek

• 25. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                          Derek Price Level 1

Hi Rick,

Hrm.  Maybe.  I'll watch for that next time.

Thanks,

Derek

• 26. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                            MergeThis Level 4

It's just that performing patch updates very often eliminates problems without any further effort on the part of the user or forum members. There must be hundreds of instances in this forum, dealing with all RH versions (X5, RH6, RH7, RH8) going back many years.

Not saying updates are a cure-all, or that your specific issue would definitely be cleared up, but hey... (And I still don't get the "incomplete.")

Good luck,

Leon

• 27. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                              Derek Price Level 1

Hi Leon,

I get the thing with updating to the latest patch release before bringing up bugs on the forum.  As I said, I verified that the version of the file I needed to edit was almost identical to the version in the latest patch release, my patch includes the changes from said patch release, and I had tried the version from the latest patch release and it didn't fix the problem.  I provided the information about my installed version mainly for completeness in case it helps somebody, but I am fairly confident that the code I edited relates only very loosely to any other files that may have been updated in the 8.0.1 or later releases, and I read several other reports that people were encountering the same "works-twice now" issue I encountered when using the version of the edited file from the latest patch release.

Finally, I added the fix for the bug, not an extra report of it nor a request for help fixing it.  A fix for a bug by all accounts still occurring in the latest patch release of RoboHelp, no less.

Thanks for your input,

Derek

• 28. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                MergeThis Level 4

And your assumption is that the identified file that needed fixing in an older version is the only file that is influencing your situation in a later, admittedly incomplete, mid-upgrade version? That the previously mentioned lines of code are absolutely the only lines of code to be changed, but not another line at all? Also, that none of the other 299 files, or the innumerable files under the 26 other folders, in the RoboHTML Progran Files directory, can possibly have anything to do with it?

Good luck,

Leon

• 29. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                  Derek Price Level 1

Hi Leon,

Sorry it took me so long to reply - the email notification got dropped in Outlook's Junk folder and for some reason Outlook didn't decide until today to tell me I had some mail there even though I've restarted it everyday.

Anyhow, I didn't make an assumption - I made a fairly well-informed guess.  My additional changes:

1. Went only a little farther than the "fix" reported as released for this issue by Adobe, and involved removal of a few more lines in the exact same section of the code in the same file, lines which were doing approximately the same thing as the first removed chunk.
                                                                  2. Included the only file modified by said patch and earlier reported partial solutions.
                                                                  3. Removed lines to avoid what appear to be inter-window communiation permissions issues which I understand fairly well and were to a part of the code that looks like it was hacking around bugs in VERY OLD and most likely totally unsupported (pre IE6) browsers.  There is no current good reason that I know of to clear the URL in an open browser window before setting it again, and in fact there is no reason to even bother checking whether the window is already open since all modern browsers will handle that for you if you simply call window.open again with the same window name you used the first time (like an <a> tag's target= attribute).

I'm not claiming I know all of Adobe's code, but I understood the section pointed out by Adobe's support team well enough to feel a fair amount of confidence in my educated guess.  Incidentally, since the original URL-clearing hack is not necessary, this patch also speeds up the page refresh in the displayed help and prevents it from "flashing" a blank screen in my IE8.

Regards,

Derek

• 30. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                    MergeThis Level 4

Let me try this again.

If your "fix" is so wonderful, how is another user that comes along a few months from now supposed to figure out how to take advantage of your helpful "fix" in this forum discussion?

"Hmmm, let's see. I have to be 'using RH8 from before the 8.0.1 patch, but the 8.0.1 patch is incomplete'. Hey, Harvey, I need to get this incomplete 8.0.1 patch installed on my machine. Does Shirley have it on a CD, or something? Geez, there's nothing in the help about it!"

When I asked for clarification on this "incomplete 8.0.1 patch" statement of yours, you got pretty testy (how dare anyone question your fabulous "fix"!). A little more concern for your fellow users might go a long way here, Derek. If you haven't noticed yet, "fixes" are extremely dependent on RH versions & patches, output layouts, browsers, operating systems, networks, servers, your IT people, user skill levels, etc. No one else on the planet might have the same exact, non-traditional RH environment as you, and therefore no one else might be able to use your "fix."

Get it?

If you're interested, you can take a look at the 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 Read Me files, which briefly describe the RH fixes in each patch. These might help when you encounter other problems that might have already been addressed in the available (complete) patches.

Good luck,

Leon

• 31. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic

Come on folks... lets please be just a little bit kinder toward one another with our verbiage.

I REALLY dislike seeing private messages asking me to check out and possibly moderate specific threads.

Cheers... Rick

• 32. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                        MergeThis Level 4

Ah, shoot...and here I thought I was being wicked tactful!

Guess I'll have to work on that some more.

Good luck,

Leon

• 33. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                          PujaSGulati

Did we find any solution this problem as  it doesn't seem to be fixed with RoboHelp9 as well.

• 34. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                            Kathleen Pinto Level 1

Not that I know of.  Still looking for a solution.

• 35. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                              kimcramer42 Level 1

I finally had the chance to test my WebHelp generated from RH9 and the blank window still displays when Help is called from our application. Looks like this bug was not fixed in RH9. This will not make my mgmt happy. I'm going to report it (again) as a bug and hope it gets fixed this time.

Kim

• 36. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                                Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

I haven't seen this thread before, but you can turn of this behaviour by modifying the CSH call from your application. When you add the parameter newwnd=false to the URL, for instance: http://www.example.com/startpage.htm#<id=1>>newwnd=false.

See http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/webhelp/csh for a more thorough overview. (Look for the default method.)

I just tested a bit on RoboHelp 8 today and it seems that this parameter does not work correctly if you use windows. There are two workarounds I can think of. I added those to the article this afternoon.

Greet,

Willam

• 37. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                                  kimcramer42 Level 1

With Adobe's help, I fixed the problem with the blank second window. It turns out that a developer had commented out some code in the RoboHelp_CSH.js file AND we were not using the most current version of the file. The developers replaced the file they were using with the one sent by Adobe. After generating and delivering the Help with the next build, the problem was gone. Yay!

Kim

• 38. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                                    av_gchale

First of all, I apologize for replying to a post that has not seen any recent activity. The WebHelp for one of the applications I support is experiencing the same problem described in this post. I only recently learned of the problem (I'm new to the company) and was asked to research it. I am currently running RoboHelp version 8.0.2.208.

In reading the replies to this post, it was unclear whether this problem has been fixed in a later version of RoboHelp. Does anyone know whether the problem has been fixed?

On a side note, I implemented the fix Derek Price suggested to see if it would provide an immediate, if temporary, resolution. Derek's fix did resolve the problem for our application's main help topics, but it did not resolve the problem for our application's field-level help topics. What is the difference between the application's main help topics and field-level help topics?

• A main help topic is opened by clicking a Help button located at the top of the application. A main topic includes the left navigation pane (for displaying the TOC, index, and search tool).

• A field-level help topic is opened by clicking a question mark next to a field on an application form. A field-level help topic does not include the left navigation pane or the top menu that appears in a main help topic.

I appreciate the feedback.

Sincerely,

George

• 39. Re: Blank Browser Window displaying along with Help Topic
                                                                                      Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First I would make sure that you're current on RH8 updates (I don't know what the latest 8 level is these days). Next, it sounds like there were issues when people played with the launcher code that RH provides. I would be tempted to make sure that you're running the "factory" version of this csh api caller. Have you regenerated your help since this issue was brought to your attention? It may already be fixed & you just don't know it yet.

1 2 Previous Next