18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 6:34 AM by GoranSoder

InDesign is not working!

mariep10437995

My InDesign been fine - until this tuesday. I did work as usual in daytime. When I was opening it in the evening I had to shut it down several times. I have a Macbook Pro. I tested if it was my mouse but it wasn't´t. I did upgrade but it still not working. I need my InDesign!

What shall I do? Reinstall InDesign? How?

Best regards / Marie

• 1. Re: InDesign is not working!
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Version?

OS?

Did you delete the preferences?

• 2. Re: InDesign is not working!
            mariep10437995 Level 1

Adobe InDesign CC 2015

Os X El Capitan Version 10.11.13

Where do I delete preferences?

2016-02-25 12:10 GMT+01:00 Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

InDesign is not working! created by Willi Adelberger

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Willi+Adelberger> in InDesign - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/8534495#8534495>

• 4. Re: InDesign is not working!
              GoranSoder

Indesign crashes time ater time for me.

Nothing works

I have Indesign CC

11.2.0.100 x64 Build - 2015.2 Release

I work in Windows 7. (servicepack 1)

I have trashed the preferences, I have reinstalled Indesign and updated all to the newest files.

Still got problems. Indesign crashes time and time again.

It's someting that never has been happening before in earlier versions.

I think I had the CC 2013 prior.

This is the exact procedure what I do up to the crash...

1. Starting Indesign.

2. Opening an ad. It has a TIF picture and 10 text blocks.

3. I make all text to curves, as the reciever can't take PDF's with fonts.

4. Saving a PDF.

5. I "undo" the text to curves, so the text can be edited again.

6. I open up another ad.

7. Copy texts to the new ad into that document within Indesign.

8. I make a test to see if I can make the text to curves and save a pdf. Works fine.

9. I "undo" the text to curves so the text can be edited again.

10. Switch to Photoshop to make changes to the new ads background image.

11. Switching back to Indesign to the new ad, and click a text block to change a text... BAM... CRASH!

This happens every time! And this is a procedure I need to do to make the ads.

Sure... I can make all ads in Photoshop and skip Indesign completely. But that is not a long time solution.

What can I do?

• 5. Re: InDesign is not working!
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does it happen if you start in Safe Mode, or log in with a different windows user account?

• 6. Re: InDesign is not working!
                  GoranSoder Level 1

I have tried in safe mode and with another user account.

This is the result:

1. Open Indesign.

2. Open the ad.

3. Try to convert all texts to curves... CRASH!

so... now it doesn't even want to go that far.

It could be that the file now is damaged, and I need to redo it all.

But the crash scenario doesn't seem to be different weather or not I am in safe mode, using another account login or not.

• 7. Re: InDesign is not working!

And that points to some sort of programmatic problem (possibly a plugin), or a software conflict.

• 8. Re: InDesign is not working!
                      GoranSoder Level 1

I have no plugins installed to InDesign at all. I do have Master Collection CS6 still installed on the computer,

It is something I have wanted to have for reasons too long to describe here. Lets just say I want to have it that way.

So... I have CC 2015 and CS6 Master Collections installed on the same computer.

It has always worked fine until the last CC 2015 was installed instead of CC 2013. (Need to check what the latest CC we have had at work but I think it was CC 2013.)

If what you say is true, then my first thought would be that a conflict all of a sudden has occured between InDesign CC 2015 and  InDesign CS6, for an unknown reason.

A conflict that has started with the CC 2015 Master Collection, since the earlier versions has worked fine.

I work at a world wide company where we have login proceedures and inside fire wall covering several countries.

Needless to say... there are many programs that needs to run on the computer that cannot be uninstalled just to try what program cause the problem.

I only see what has occured recently. I have recently installed CC 2015 Master Collection, and now the problem occured.

I can't even install other programs. It's the IT department that installs any programs on any computer within the company.

I would hate to go through a process of trying to uninstall this and that to try to figure out what program causes a conflict.

Well... I wouldn't have to do it... it's the IT departments job. But it causes delays in my production.

I hoped this was a small issue that could be helped with a certain setting or tweak somewhere. But it looks like it's more then that.

Oh well... I will check with IT department tomorrow and see what we will do.

• 9. Re: InDesign is not working!

You should not do so, installing a CS6 box version and a cloud program together!

UNINSTALL CS6 master collection. Install the programs from CC, CS6 is also available there, but they are not completely identically, as CS6 had several upgrades for CC integration.

I would suggest the following steps:

1. Uninstall CS6 Master Collection (don't forget to deactivate)
                        2. Uninstall now all CC programs.
                        3. Run Creative Cloud Cleaner script (available on Adobe's Website)
                        4. Install CC 2015 and CS6, but you might not need all CS6 anymore, I think you will not need Bridge, Acrobat, and some others from CS6 as CC 2015 offers better opportunities.
                        • 10. Re: InDesign is not working!
                          GoranSoder Level 1

Thanks.

I will talk to IT tomorrow and do what you suggest.

I will let you know if that solves the problem.

• 11. Re: InDesign is not working!
                            GoranSoder Level 1

Quick question also.

Since I am only working at one computer, not on several plattforms and not outside the building,

we don't need the cloud function. As it is IT installing the programs, I need to tell him how to do this.

What I want is to disable the cloud program. Is that an option at installation as well as for any other programs?

Or do I have to make any other arrangements to stop that.

Cause I have noticed that it askes for cloud options every time I start InDesign and other programs, but can't see any options to shut it off.

Thanks for your help with this. I hope all will be solved tomorrow.

• 12. Re: InDesign is not working!

Willi Adelberger wrote:

You should not do so, installing a CS6 box version and a cloud program together!

UNINSTALL CS6 master collection. Install the programs from CC, CS6 is also available there, but they are not completely identically, as CS6 had several upgrades for CC integration.

This is absolute nonsense. I've got perpetual license CS6 running beside CC with no problems at all. The ONLY advantage to running the cloud version is the additional updates.

• 13. Re: InDesign is not working!
                                GoranSoder Level 1

The solution solved the problem with the crash.

However... when I have made text to curves and back again, the boundries of a text field becomes invisable in preview mode.

In preview mode, when clicking once on a text block, the text block is seen with nodes in the corners and the sides, and a line to tell you where the boundries are.

That disapperes when doing the texts to curves and back again.

And let me just say... after we have installed everything from scratch, all programs has been updated with the latest patch.

But yes... it solved the problem with the crash and Indesign doesn't want to quit anymore at least.

• 14. Re: InDesign is not working!
                                  GoranSoder Level 1

After some weeks working with Indesign, I have discovered that it's still not working.

It still crashes when I have done as I described above. 

This...

This is the exact procedure what I do up to the crash...

1. Starting Indesign.

2. Opening an ad. It has a TIF picture and 10 text blocks.

3. I make all text to curves, as the reciever can't take PDF's with fonts.

4. Saving a PDF.

5. I "undo" the text to curves, so the text can be edited again.

6. I open up another ad.

7. Copy texts to the new ad into that document within Indesign.

8. I make a test to see if I can make the text to curves and save a pdf. Works fine.

9. I "undo" the text to curves so the text can be edited again.

10. Switch to Photoshop to make changes to the new ads background image.

11. Switching back to Indesign to the new ad, and click a text block to change a text... BAM... CRASH!

It also corrupts the file and it can not be opened again.

Solution: I make another layer and save one layer editable and the other I leave with text made to curves.

• 15. Re: InDesign is not working!

Don,t convert text in curves as it is a no go. If a printer does such requests, run away and take another one. A correct PDF has embedded fonts.

And your switches between Photoshop and InDesign are suspicious. Why are you doing it?

• 16. Re: InDesign is not working!
                                      GoranSoder Level 1

Ehm... There is a "convert to curves" tool in Indesign. since there is one, it should work.

I only gave an example of a situation of where I use "text to curves", that has worked for as long I can remember. But with the new Adobe it doesn't. It can be a situation where you want to use a font to get a special form, and you do "text to curves" and then tweak the form a bit.

Then... you might want to change to another font, so you undo the text to curves and use another font etc.

The point is... making text to curves and then undo it, makes Indesign crash. period.

Why is switching between Indesign to Photoshop suspicious? Is that even a serious question? I have many programs open... Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc, since I work doing many things at the same time, jumping from one job to another or just make one change to an element in Indesign that cannot, or shouldn't, be done in Indesign.

Switching to Photoshop to make changes in the background TIFF image, becuse I might need to make more clean space in the image to make room for text in Indesign. (just an example).

• 17. Re: InDesign is not working!

This tool is NOT for the purpose to make PDFs print ready, it is supposed only for graphic effects like creating a frame in the form of a letter or something like this.

And sorry, it does not work properly as you loose with that command underlines, strike throughs, paragraph rules, text frame strokes and fills, automatic numbers and bullets, cross references and way more of content. Don't use that command except for design reasons.

If you don't convert text to outlines, as no one should do, you would not to undo and you would not have a crash. There is so much going on with that command as it not supposed in that way you are missuising it.

If you have these items placed and linked properly it is ok to switch between programs, but not if you copy and paste between them.

• 18. Re: InDesign is not working!
                                          GoranSoder Level 1

Lol... I am not using the tool to make PDF print ready.... oh boy.

I tell you what.... I don't care!

You go ahead and use it as you like... and I use it as I like.

I was just coming here to help out telling this community that it is a problem.

I have already solved it on my end. Good luck with everything.