8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 12:43 PM by votawtool

MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING

votawtool

When I print a document the page margins will shift by approximately 1/10". With portrait orientation this is a left/right shift where the left margin increases by 1/10" and the right decreases by same. With landscape orientation the top margin increases and bottom decreases.

DOCUMENT SETUP

1 page

facing pages unchecked

all bleed & slug set to 0

all margins: 0.5"

PRINT SETUP

Page Position: Centered

Use Document Bleed Settings: On

I get same results when printing to a different printer.

I get same results when creating a PDF from file menu: Export/Adobe PDF (Print). The pdf appears centered on screen but printing to paper results in same shift.

Using InDesign CS5.5 (7.5) WIN 8.

PLEASE HELP!

• 1. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

.1 inch shift is well within spec for most desktop printers. It's possible with some printers to shift the image on the page in the driver, but before you do that you really need to do some heavy testing with a good target that shows what should be the center of the page and run multiple copies in several different runs to see how much drift there is just in the paper handling.

And be sure you set the print dialog to print Centered....

• 2. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING
            votawtool Level 1

Thanks for your reply Peter. This situation has only started recently, whereas previously I've gotten much more accurate printouts. Also, it would seem to me as unlikely to happen when exporting to pdf. Besides testing the pdf on the different model laser printers that are in house I've sent copies to associates and all are getting the same result. Note also, that if I change the document orientation to landscape the left/right margins stay equal but the top/bottom margins are offset, almost as if gutter specs were present in the document setup. Am I missing something? (Note that in all of my testing the print dialog has been set to Centered.)

• 3. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING

If this is restricted to one document, I wonder if you might have used the page tool to shift the page slightly (presumably by accident).

Does it fix anything if you export to IDML and try again? See Remove minor corruption by exporting

I'll send you an upload link and you can send me the file to examine and print here, if you like.

• 4. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING
                votawtool Level 1

I've pulled up several different documents and getting the same results. For example, a document that was created a couple of years ago I printed off multiple copies about a month ago with good results. When I print it now on the same printer I'm getting the shift.

After becoming aware of this issue I tried various testing however did not try export to IDML. I did however do an uninstall and reinstall of InDesign. If I remember correctly there was an option during the uninstall to remove preferences, which I did.

I have just now uploaded a file to the link you provided. Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING

No sign of your file....

• 6. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING
                    votawtool Level 1

I uploaded two files, InDesign_Print_Test.indd and print_summary.txt, this morning (I did attempt to upload file on 02/25 but did not receive an auto confirmation like what I received this morning. Thanks again for your help on this.

• 7. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING

Got your files, and I made two modifications to help in testing: I added a pair of rules that run from margin to margin centered on the page (to compare to a folded sheet), and added a text label to show which quadrant is top right.

I did a quick export to PDF and printed that on my cheap Samsung printer (I'm currently not at my office), as well as printing direct from ID, where I am able to print upright and rotated 180 degrees. I've pulled a half dozen or so prints, and they are remarkably consistent for an inexpensive printer. The PDF and native upright print are as near as I can tell identical, and both skewed ever so slightly low, and a bit rotated on the page (perhaps around 1 degree, which is likely due to the paper not being loaded perfectly square, or being cut out of square).

The rotated print is the one that is significant. It also aligns off center by the same amount, but on the opposite edge. This is confirmed by putting the two prints on top of each other oriented as they left the printer and viewing on my makeshift light box (a window). They show no offset to one another. Rotated to the same top/right orientation there is an overall offset vertically of about .125 inch, and horizontally about .0325. The actual offset for either page would be half of these amounts. This is well within the expected performance of a desktop printer like this, +/- .0625 in either direction.

The rotation test confirms the problem is the paper transport in the printer, not the file. I see similar performance on my very expensive Xerox Phaser 7800 at the office, with small amounts of drift from sheet to sheet on a long run (a real pain when printing business cards). It's just the nature of the transport mechanism to be off a bit. I don't know if your HP has the ability to shift the image on the sheet through the driver. If it does you can try that, but don't expect perfection.

• 8. Re: MARGIN SHIFT WHEN PRINTING OR EXPORTING
                        votawtool Level 1

Thanks Peter for confirming this is not an InDesign issue.