4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 2:30 PM by Steve Grisetti

Which Version of Premiere Elements Do You Like Best?

head spin Level 1

Premiere Elements is now up to version 14? I'm guessing the moderators and quite a few of the members have used many of the versions, and I am curious as to which might be a favorite and why. The reason I'm asking is I think I'm needing to upgrade and it's mind boggling to me to sort through stuff. Maybe there are other dummies like me who would like your input also. (no offense intended)

I currently have PrE 9 which I know is a 32 bit program and I have a Windows 7 64 bit desktop with i7 processor. I do not want to go to Windows 10 as my mind can't wrap around how to navigate to find anything. I never could comprehend XP either, but I could figure out Vista and Windows 7. So I realize that I would have to go PrE version 10 or newer to use the 64 bit capability of my computer. Because I am using this to edit VHS tape material ( through Pyro capture device to DV-AVI) I am looking for a version that has maybe these best features:

Easy to set project presets

Simplest user friendly screens, timeline

Best Menu Selection (Most Menus?)

Sharpening and Color Enhancement

I have a 24" monitor but my eyes aren't what they used to be so that's a factor also in maybe which version is easier to work in some of the screens.

I know these are really broad questions and you can't recommend any one version because someone will come back later and say "you told me this was the best one. I bought it and it's not worth a hoot". But I value your opinions and your expertise so whatever input you have is appreciated.

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Which Version of Premiere Elements Do You Like Best?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because I am using this to edit VHS tape material ( through Pyro capture device to DV-AVI) I am looking for a version that has maybe these best features:

With PE 14 you cannot capture from tape any more. The feature has been removed.

Easy to set project presets

Simplest user friendly screens, timeline

Best Menu Selection (Most Menus?)

Sharpening and Color Enhancement

All of these featrures are present, but you need to download a trial to test it yourself.

I have a 24" monitor but my eyes aren't what they used to be so that's a factor also in maybe which version is easier to work in some of the screens.

Might need to get some glasses.

• 2. Re: Which Version of Premiere Elements Do You Like Best?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The program took a giant leap forward with version 11, which dramatically changed the interface, set up projects automatically and allowed for mixing of media sources.

Any version from 11 to 14 would be an excellent choice. The differences are in the features each included and in how much those features mean to you. The Premiere Elements FAQ link on the right side of this forum will take you to links that list the features included with each version.

Meantime, I'd also definitely recommend an operating system upgrade to version 10. If you can run XP, you can run Windows 10. The basic interface is not all that different -- but the advanced technology and better operating system security and support are definitely worth the minor learning curve.

• 3. Re: Which Version of Premiere Elements Do You Like Best?
              head spin Level 1

Ann and Steve,

Thank you. I have glasses but need new ones lol. You've narrowed down my choices between versions 11 to 13 I think. To clarify, I do not comprehend XP or Windows 10 so I hope I can continue to use Windows 7 for quite some time. A couple more questions please.

More and more programs are requiring a cloud connection to function. Has Adobe done this with these versions 11 -13? I do not have my video computer connected to internet with the exception being to activate or update something. Then it's disconnected again. I really don't want to be connected to the cloud. I don't upload anything on this computer.

Which versions from 11 to 13 had the fewest glitches? If I'm thinking right, version 10 had some problems which you guys were instrumental in fixing.

How many versions of PrE have you had on your computer at the same time? I have 7 and 9 on mine at this point but don't know if I would need to uninstall one or both to keep from having problems with a newer version.

I am researching 8mm film transfer machines and the latest thing is HD-AVI (MJPG). I didn't realize 8mm and super 8 film was high definition. Would I be able to import this AVI or is this out of the scope of PrE? We have a lot of 8mm film to do and it's super expensive to have a lot of footage done commercially.

I guess I'm still curious which version you guys use more than another (a favorite)? Or another way of phrasing the question would be if you were teaching a class or writing a book for novices (as Steve has done) which would be easier to teach or explain how to use the workspaces?

• 4. Re: Which Version of Premiere Elements Do You Like Best?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Versions 11 through 14 are all very reliable. Especially the PC versions. (Mac versions seem to be struggling with El Capitan.) Versions 11 through 14 all use the same basic interface and all are equally easy to use. It's really the features that define each version.

You can have as many versions of Premiere Elements as you'd like at once. They don't interfere with each other.

I would recommend against using an 8mm film transfer machine that saves as MJPEG. MJPEG is kind of a sketchy format for editing. It may work fine on your computer -- but success editing it seems to vary from computer to computer. If you can give it a test drive before you buy the device or at least have the vendor give you some video that was produced by the device so that you can test drive it in Premiere Elements, that might be a wise move. No point in investing in hardware and software that won't work well together.