3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 4:38 AM by IMC2014

RGB to CMYK

IMC2014

How do I convert RGB pictures to CMYK in InDesign CC 2015 so I can send document to PDF for printing?

• 1. Re: RGB to CMYK
          Derek Cross Level 6

Use the InDesign Acrobat PDF presets and export using PDF/X-4

But check with your printer first - they may provide/want a different spec.

• 2. Re: RGB to CMYK
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Before you can convert you need to know which CMYK profile to use, or it is worse than useless. Many printers now prefer your RGB and convert themselves.

• 3. Re: RGB to CMYK
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If your printer requires CMYK without transparency export your InDesign file as PDF/x-1a.

If your printer allows RGB, but no transparency, but he will require an output intend, export PDF/X-3.

If your printer allows RGB and transparency without layers, export as PDF/X-4:2008

If your printer allows RGB and transparency with layers, export as PDF/X-4:2010

If your printer allos transparency but requires CMYK, export PDF/X-4 but change the output color space to convert to the desired color space.

• 4. Re: RGB to CMYK
                IMC2014 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help and the clarification. I'll check with the printer and ask what their requirement is before converting.