text-decoration: none;
      color: #CC6633;
      }
      a:active {
      text-decoration: underline;
      color: #0000FF;
      background: background;
      }

On IE and Safari, the image rollovers work, but in Firefox (windows and mac) the don't.

You can check my site here:
      http://www.dayvid.com/front.html

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
          Level 7
          ----------------WARNING----------------

This site starts playing loud annoying music as soon as it loads. There
          may be a way to turn it off but of course I left immediately....

--
          James M. Shook
          http://www.jshook.com
          • 2. Image Roll Over Highlight
            DJ Gecko Level 1
            gee thanks, really helpful and worth the post. That music is from Venezuela and sung by an old friend's uncle, there's a history behind why it's on that page. Dork.

Okay, here's a site that doesn't play music the first time you come (the other site remembers, using a flashShared Object, when a user turned the music off):
            http://www.calicoradio.com/

Here is the site's CSS for image and text rollovers:

image {
            border:1px;
            border-thickness: 1px;
            border-color: #5F5D26;
            border-style: solid;
            }
            a:link image {
            border-color: #7B7933;
            }
            a:hover image, a:active image {
            border:1px;
            border-thickness: 1px;
            border-color: #99FF00;
            border-style: solid
            }
            a:link {
            color: #CC9933;
            }
            a:visited {
            color: #CC9933;
            }
            a:hover {
            color: #99FF00;
            }
            a:active {
            color: #CCFF00;
            }

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
              Level 7
              On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:41:32 +0000 (UTC), "JohnnyDang"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>gee thanks, really helpful and worth the post. Dork.

You'll get lots of help being so friendly.

Gary
              • 4. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                DJ Gecko Level 1
                I've been using these forums for 4 years, and never had a problem before. It was very rude and unprofessional of him to diss my page and friend's music. It was unnecessary, and not relevant. We have all posted and seen links that went to pages that we didn't like but we still helped with the issue in the post. So can we talk about CSS, or are we going to talk about the aesthetics of my site, or my use of strong language?

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                  Level 7
                  > was very rude and unprofessional of him to diss my page and friend's
                  > music.

And you don't think it was rude of you to use the "dork" epithet?

I agree that a continuous 8 bar loop (which a rather clunky join at the loop
                  point) could be construed as annoying. It's more a critique of the
                  repetative effect than the quality of your friend's music which is
                  impossible to ascertain from this loop.

• 6. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                    Level 7
                    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:44:14 +0000 (UTC), "JohnnyDang"
                    <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>So can we talk about CSS, or are we going to talk about the aesthetics of my
                    >site, or my use of strong language?

I appreciated his warning, but I did not appreciate your abusive
                    response. I guess you and I aren't going to talk at all.

I'm outta here.

Gary
                    • 7. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                      DJ Gecko Level 1
                      Are you joking?
                      • 8. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                        Level 7
                        > Are you joking?

No.

• 9. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                          DJ Gecko Level 1
                          That's probably for the best. Bye. And I highly recommend staying away from any movies rated PG or over.
                          • 10. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                            Level 7
                            You're probably gone, but I have no problem with the word(s)
                            themselves...but the rude INTENT of the words.

I think it's ironic that James simply supplied a simple warning about being
                            barrage with a load sound ... a reasonable, and by some a thankful, warning
                            about a sound...not about you, not about the quality of your friend's music.
                            You, on the other hand responded with a personal, rude attack on a talented,
                            professional artist after accusing him (incorrectly) of being rude.

• 11. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                              DJ Gecko Level 1
                              Thanks to google I fixed the problem. I changed image { to img {
                              (see above code)

Thanks for all your help, help that motivated me to google for the answer.

PS
                              Ironically, I get paid to compose original loops, although the "annoying" loop is a sample. Thanks for playing and come again!
                              • 12. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                DJ Gecko Level 1
                                "site starts playing loud annoying music" is a very rude statement, I asked real human beings and they agreed, he was rude. It was in no way a simple warning, it was a critique, annoying, loud, are negative. A professional response would have been to just close the page and say nothing, or ask me if I have a page that doesn't have music playing. These are social nuances, to bad we don't have a forum to help people with these.

---------WARNING-------------
                                Annoying and whining responses to my post
                                • 13. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                  Level 7
                                  .oO(JohnnyDang)

>"site starts playing loud annoying music" is a very rude statement

Rude maybe, but accurate. Sound is by all means the most intrusive thing
                                  on a website, if it starts playing unintentionally. There's no problem
                                  with music or sound samples that the user can play if (s)he _wants_ to.

http://www.segelflug.de/vereine/lsv.sachsen/px/e_0020g.jpg

Micha
                                  • 14. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                    Level 7
                                    > real human beings and they agreed, he was rude.

As oppossed to the unreal human beings here?

You and some others formed an opinion that the statement was rude. Fine. You
                                    have, absolutely, a right to form such an opinion. However this does not
                                    grant you or anyone else to be (likewise) rude. That seems to be the part
                                    that you fail to grasp. Sounds like you are in need of a Social Nuance Forum
                                    as much as anyone.

Do you not see the irony (fallacy) of finding fault with others for the very
                                    same behavior you have performed? Dork is no less pejorative than "loud" and
                                    " annoying" In fact, I personally find it far more pejorative with no other
                                    possible interpretation other than rudeness.

-------------

>> Ironically, I get paid to compose original loops, although the
                                    "annoying" loop is a sample.

Perhaps you meant that the annoying loop was NOT a sample insomuch as you
                                    implied it was your friends music and not yours. Still-in-all, I'm not sure
                                    what one has to do with the other. In my hopefully humble, personal opinion
                                    the "loop meld" is rather clunky which, for me, adds to the annoying factor
                                    of the repetitive loop. As you get paid to create such loops perhaps you
                                    might have improved upon it?

When a fool is informed of foolish behavior his anger is engendered. When a
                                    wise man is informed of his foolish behavior his heartfelt appreciation and
                                    thanks is engendered.

Not that I'm calling you a fool ... I am not. It's just a contemporary
                                    translation of a statement by Lao Tse Tung.

• 15. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                      DJ Gecko Level 1
                                      Michael F, thanks, yes I understand what you have said and I agree, there is a long story, history, why this loop is on the page and the way that it is, I made it in '99 and left it that way for reasons. Later I added a SharedObject so that when people turned it off, it stayed off.

Alan Smithee Jr., my response was knee jerk, reactionary, and if you were as smart as you think you are you would have seen why I responded that way and kept your post shut. You've argued yourself into a corner, now you admit that the warning was rude when before you didn't. If the translation is true than Lao Tse Tung was a fool, he thought there are only two ways to respond, and believed he knew exactly what each response meant, he probably didn't travel outside his own culture very much or at all. You can keep venting if you like, life must be very boring for you.
                                      • 16. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                        Level 7
                                        >>....now you admit that the warning was rude

Incorrect. That was me attempting to be kind to you. It was just saying that
                                        you and your friends have everyright to your opinion as does everyone here.

> ...only two ways to respond...

Where did you get the "only"?

> You can keep venting ...

Or having a dialectic...aka...conversation amoung civilized people. It's how
                                        we share knowledge & feelings & perceptions and perhaps thereby be part of a
                                        process that traverses from foolishness to wisdom. I make no assertions that
                                        I am any where near either end of that spectrum.

Ta. Ta.

• 17. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                          Level 7
                                          ps...

I meant to point out a little text error on your site, but in the heat of
                                          battle it slipped through the cracks.

You have:

"We are working to develop the best work around to avoid this announce for
                                          our IE users."

"announce" should be annoyance.

Another little irony given the contentious content of this thread.

• 18. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                            Level 7
                                            JohnnyDang wrote:
                                            > I've been using these forums for 4 years, and never had a problem before. It
                                            > was very rude and unprofessional of him to diss my page and friend's music. It
                                            > was unnecessary, and not relevant. We have all posted and seen links that went
                                            > to pages that we didn't like but we still helped with the issue in the post.
                                            > So can we talk about CSS, or are we going to talk about the aesthetics of my
                                            > site, or my use of strong language?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks.
                                            >
                                            It's very rude to request help and subject the potential helpers to
                                            unannounced sound (and to your potential visitors as well). At the very
                                            least you should have provided a warning; since you did not, James did,
                                            which I (and others who object to sound they did not ask for)
                                            appreciate. I would expect the same kind of warning if your site had,
                                            er, racy content that might offend the sensitive.

If you have indeed been using these forums for 4 years, you should know
                                            and respect James and find it rather shocking to see him referred to in
                                            such a disparaging way.

--
                                            Bonnie in California
                                            kroko at
                                            sbcglobal dot net
                                            http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites.woa
                                            • 19. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                              DJ Gecko Level 1
                                              Whoa, thanks for all the traffic and ad revenue. I still know that what James said was dorky and rude, but hey, he did earn me a little extra cash. Have fun, keep up the forum Nazi work, there's some really talented forum Nazi work here, good job. Keep posting, keep driving the traffic to my site, when it slows down I'll be sure to drop by and call a few of you dorks dorks.
                                              • 20. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                                DJ Gecko Level 1
                                                PS
                                                I'll continue to make games and animation for kids with learning difficulties, I work on an award winning site (including Flash Forward Film Festival winner, SF 05) that has music playing at the intro of many pages and modules (don't want to give the URL out, the music might offend some of the posters here, and frankly, I don't trust some of the posters here and I fear they might submit angry post on the kids site). So every award, and every new registered user, confirms that some users do like music that auto plays (of course, the music we have on the kids site is less annoying, to some). Again, this site is an amazing and highly respected and well funded site, you might be able to figure out what site I'm talking about. It's non profit and beautiful baby, too bad some of you were of no help at all. Also, my user name on this site is DorkBot. That's how offensive the word Dork is, we are COPPA compliant, so Dork is not offensive... to reasonable people. Dorks.
                                                • 21. Re: Image Roll Over Highlight
                                                  Level 7
                                                  .oO(JohnnyDang)

>Whoa, thanks for all the traffic and ad revenue. I still know that what James
                                                  >said was dorky and rude, but hey, he did earn me a little extra cash. Have
                                                  >fun, keep up the forum Nazi work, [...]

Godwin's Law - sorry, you've lost.

*plonk*

EOT
                                                  Micha