9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 11:08 AM by trshaner

I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras

fukujitso

I own a D800 and a D810 and I'm setting colour temperature values to 5,600K on both cameras. I record my photographs in RAW files.

Lightroom is showing 5,400K for D800 shots and 6,000K for the D810.

The renderings for both cameras pictures are very simiIar, but if I change the color temperature in one picture and sync colour temperature settings in pictures of both cameras I get different results: some pictures are hotter or colder.

So, if I'm shooting with the same K settings in both cameras, why are the K numbers in Lightroom different from each other? That makes my workflow very difficult.

Thank you in advance for a solution.

Best regards,

Luís

• 1. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Keep in mind that any CCT value (Kelvin) defines a range of colors. So it's not necessarily strange that two different camera systems might report differing values. This is just a metadata suggestion. These cameras can't really accuracy measure the color anyway (we'd need a true, built in Spectrophotometer). 

See: http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200512_rodneycm.pdf

IF the spectral sensitivities of the two cameras are different, this might explain the differences in the values. I also have no idea if you tested this with a dozen of the same make and model, you'd get identical values anyway.

• 2. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

> So, if I'm shooting with the same K settings in both cameras, why are the K numbers in Lightroom different from each other? That makes my workflow very difficult.

So you set a specific white balance value numerically to be the same in both cameras and Lightroom reports a different one? This is unfortunately quite common and is due to the difference in spectral sensitivity between the cameras and the way Lightroom's color model works and accounts for different sensor sensitivities. For different cameras, you need to set a different white balance value to get the same colors to be neutral in Lightroom. Also, if you don't have the exact same model camera, you will not get the same white balance result in Lightroom even if you set the same white balance in camera. Nikon's own software deals with this differently and has a correction factor in white balance built in per camera model in order to keep the white balance numbers the same even if the sensor's red/blue sensitivity is different. I've wondered before why Adobe doesn't do the same as most other third=party raw software makers do but fact is they don't.

• 3. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

fukujitso wrote:

The renderings for both cameras pictures are very simiIar, but if I change the color temperature in one picture and sync colour temperature settings in pictures of both cameras I get different results: some pictures are hotter or colder.

The best way to make this type of correction is with the Library module's Quick Develop panel. This allows applying a "relative" change (+500 K Temp for example) to a group of images with the same lighting conditions. Jump to the 3:30 minute point in this video tutorial:

Quick Develop « Julieanne Kost's Blog

You can also add your vote for to this request for "relative preset" capability in the Develop module:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/relative_presets_would_save_the_day

• 4. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras

trshaner wrote:

The best way to make this type of correction is with the Library module's Quick Develop panel. This allows applying a "relative" change (+500 K Temp for example) to a group of images with the same lighting conditions.

The issue appears to be the disconnect in the numbers, not the color appearance if I understand the OP. The bottom line is, the numbers are different with the same or similar color appearance and that's to be expected.

• 5. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras

Exactly! If you want to change the WB "appearance" in a group of similar images shot with the two different camera bodies (D800 & D810) relative adjustments is what you want. Otherwise the camera images for each body would have to be adjusted separately to prevent the issue experienced:

"The renderings for both cameras pictures are very simiIar, but if I change the color temperature in one picture and sync colour temperature settings in pictures of both cameras I get different results: some pictures are hotter or colder."

• 6. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

If the Temp/Tint changes using the Quick Develop tools are not accurate enough another workaround is to use the filters to select the D800 photos, change the temp/tint in develop on all of these and then use the filter to select the D810 and change the tint/temp the same relative amount.  Kind of a kludge but it will work.

• 7. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras

trshaner wrote:

Exactly! If you want to change the WB "appearance" in a group of similar images shot with the two different camera bodies (D800 & D810) relative adjustments is what you want. Otherwise the camera images for each body would have to be adjusted separately to prevent the issue experienced:

What you state is correct BUT, I believe what the OP is asking is, why two different CCT values, (not, how to make them the same values and look the same). The answer again is, two camera bodies can produce identical color appearance with dissimilar CCT values. They can and should remain that way; no editing or alteration of the values is necessary and will only alter the current, closely matching color appearance. The OP states:

So, if I'm shooting with the same K settings in both cameras, why are the K numbers in Lightroom different from each other? That makes my workflow very difficult.

No difficulty, leave the values as they are. This difference (only CCT of 600K) isn't anything to worry about; to be expected.

• 8. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras
                        fukujitso Level 1

Yes, QD is not quite accurate has I wished.... so linear progression will do? Adding or subtraction the same value from each camera?

• 9. Re: I'm getting two diferent colour temperature values from my two cameras

fukujitso wrote:

Adding or subtraction the same value from each camera?

That will work if the image files from each camera have the same effective 'As Shot' WB, but different Temp & Tint values inside LR. If you need to apply a small amount of "relative" WB correction the Quick Develop increments will be too large, as you've discovered.

There is a way to apply very fine increments of "relative" WB correction to image files:

I need to make a +20 adjustment to the color Temperature on all my edits? How?

You need to drag the Graduated Filter into the border off of the image. The minimum increment is ~50° Temp and 1 Tint using the below settings, which is very small. This has no effect on other Graduated filters that may be applied to the image.