3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 8:08 PM by Andrew Yoole

How to create a cracking screen effect in AE?

AceEagle

Hi all,

I am currently working on a project for my college work and wanted to create a cracked glass effect, but have a particular style in mind.

For those of you who have seen Jurassic Park, you may recall a scene in the second film I believe, where a character is left suspended on some cracking glass in an RV above the sea. For those of you who don't know the scene you will see it here: The Lost World: Jurassic Park (3/10) Movie CLIP - Over the Cliff (1997) HD - YouTube (skip to 1:24).

The scene I am editing for my mini movie is in a car where the windows are misted up. I want the windows to very suddenly begin to crack, slowly, as seen in the clip above, without any glass actually shattering. I am a little unsure where to begin.

As I am relatively new to Adobe I'm struggling with finding my way around the apps still and would appreciate fully if anyone would be able to give me some tips or hints as to how to go about adding a cracked glass effect without any glass shattering.  The exact style I am hoping to achieve is how the glass cracks in the clip. I have searched far and wide on YouTube for tutorials but most depict how to create a shattering glass which is not what I'm looking for.

would anyone be able to help me?

Thank you very much in advance to all!

Message was edited by: Tahlia Ribbons