3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 4:57 AM by Rick Gerard

Changing background in motion

riveraj14

Hi,

I am editing a music video for an up and coming artist who has just been on sway in the morning from mtv. I am looking to create an effect that changes from the original color of the video to them being the only thing that is saturated or vice versa. I just would like to change the video look once the camera pans past the street sign so feel free to suggest any other more simple effect. I've attached pictures so you could get more of an idea of what I am talking about and what I want. I've tried masking this, but I got no where. Any help?Capture.JPG  Capture2.JPG

• 1. Re: Changing background in motion
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Keep trying. You may not like it, but tedious manual masking is about the only way in your shots.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Changing background in motion
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

MTV huh?  Cool.

• 3. Re: Changing background in motion
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The procedure is to create a matte that you can use to control your color effects. This is made more difficult because there was no pre-production planning for that kind of effect so the shot is not suitable for automated tools to create the matte. For example, here's what happens when you try and use Rotobrush on that shot. The colors are too similar and the edges too soft for the tool to work very well.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 4.34.24 AM.png

So at least in this shot things are not going to work. Another option for this shot would be to try and use AE's mask tracking. I added a little movement to your still image to simulate camera motion and tried AE's mask tracking. This is where a very tight mask ended up after just a few frames:

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 4.40.28 AM.png

The results were better than Rotobrush but still would require a bunch of hand work. You may be better off using Mocha AE to generate your masks.

The last option would be to hand roto the shot. Because of the complexity of the shot, the size of your actors and camera movement this option would take a very long time.

Once you have a good matte for your shot you would set up the composition with the matte layer on the top, an adjustment layer below, then the footage on the bottom. You then apply something like Hue and Saturation to the Adjustment layer and animate the opacity of the adjustment layer to bring your effect in and out. Basically the shot would look like this but you would need a much better matte.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 4.53.59 AM.png

If all your shots are like this it's going to take you hours and hours to create the mattes. If you decide to go ahead with the concept it's important that you edit the piece in Premiere Pro before you start the effects work so that you won't be spending a lot of time on frames that will never be used in the production. When you do this effect on a shot only use one shot per comp. You'll go nuts if you try and do this to an edited project with a bunch of cuts in the clip.