5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 10:56 AM by larryn58205743

blend 1 video with another

larryn58205743

I have a file of video of myself playing keytar. While playing the same song another time, someone started to dance to this song, and another person shot some video of some of that. I'd like to combine both videos, and thus be able to insert the shorter file with that person dancing and take away that same section in my other file. IN other words, mix and match. When I search on this, I see that Adobe pro can do this. Can I do this with Premier elements?

LNovik

• 1. Re: blend 1 video with another
          larryn58205743 Level 1

I should add that since the last post, I was able to figure out some things. However, the one technique I am using doesn't seem to work fully. Specifically, I was able to cut my longer file at a particular point, and was then able to insert the smaller file where I wanted. However, this only worked for the video part of the file. I was unable to split the audiio part (ie, the scissor icon was only present in the video area.) I must say that I had previously separated the audio and video parts so I could move one a little in relation to the other, but I was unable to find how to reverse this---thinking that if I unseparated them, I could cut the audio and video together, and then move them both out of the way. Hope that's clear.

LNovik

• 2. Re: blend 1 video with another
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It all depends on how you want to composite the videos, larry.

If you want to do a split screen or a picture-in-picture, with you in one part of the video and the dancer in the other, that's fairly easy.

But if you want to make it look like the two of you are standing next to each other, in the same room, despite the videos being recorded in different locations, that's pretty much impossible without a much higher-end program, like After Effects -- and then only with a very high skill level.

Although it also sounds like what you're really trying to do is show you playing the music and then briefly cut away to video of the dancer dancing to your music. If so, that's a fairly simple "j-cut".

• 3. Re: blend 1 video with another
              larryn58205743 Level 1

Hi,

You are correct in that I am trying to do the last thing you suggested, namely show myself playing the music and then briefly (for about 30 seconds)  cut away to video of the dancer dancing to my music.To accomplish this at first, I was trying to put a split in the clip where I wanted to insert the part with the dancer. However, I was unable to split the audio part-- just the video part. I then decided to simply  leave in the audio from my original, and let that be the background for the dancing. However, I would think there should be a way to split the audio as well, if I wanted to do that. Perhaps that is what you are suggesting with the "J-Split." I 'll keep working on it. I do see that the more I use it, the more I figure stuff out.

Thanks for your input.

LNovik

• 4. Re: blend 1 video with another
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's how you do a J-cut. (It's illustrated in my book, on Amazon, if you're interested):

1) Place the video of you on Video 1

2) Place the video of the dancer on Video 2, above the video of you, where you want it to start

3) Right-click on the video of the dancer and select Delete Audio

Voila! J-cut.

• 5. Re: blend 1 video with another
                  larryn58205743 Level 1

Thanks. I'll check out the title.

LNovik