7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 5:26 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements

GednotJed

Hello adobe premier elements forum, I'm having difficulty trying to use my scarlett 2i2 usb interface as the sound source for recording via my webcam (Microsoft lifecam studio) directly into Adobe Premier elements. I'm hoping there is somebody out there who may have done this already with a degree of success. Can anyone help.

• 1. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That device won't interface directly with Premiere Elements.

In fact, I'd recommend you record your music or audio using software like SoundForge Studio (inexpensive) or even Audacity (free) and then save it as a WAV file, then load that file into your Premiere Elements project. Premiere Elements really isn't the best program for recording live input into.

But of course neither is a webcam the best device for recording audio. With such a nice audio recorder, why not use a decent microphone?

• 2. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements
            GednotJed Level 1

Thanks for your response Steve. I'm sure you're correct and I do have Audacity but I have a lot of video's I need to make and it is going to take a lot more time and messing around to record separately and then combine the tracks from separate sources. That would probably give better quality but the extra time involved is just too impractical for me. I'd never get my work done.

I don't quite understand why you can be so positive that Premier Elements wont interface with a USB separate sound source. the menu's do suggest it is possible to have a separate sound source other than the WDM sound integral with Premier Elements.

That said  at the moment I can't even get the video to export and produced synchronised sound with video....its a mess. Anyway I'll keep trying.

Cheers

• 3. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements

It WILL interface with that device. It's just rather convoluted and not nearly as neat and clean as interfacing through a program made to record audio.

Assuming you only want audio, plug everything in. (Do you need to go through you webcam? Doesn't the Scarlet plug into a USB port?)

1) Go to Windows/Sound control panel and set up Recording to use your device

2) In Premiere Elements (You don't say which version you're using, so I'm assuming 14). Under Edit, go to Preferences/Audio Hardware and click the Settings button.

3) In ASIO settings, ensure that Input is set to your device.

4) In Premiere Elements, go to Tools and select Narration.

This will open up the Narration panel, into which you can record.

There are other ways -- though I don't know how effective Premiere Elements is with interfacing with a USB webcam.

• 4. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements
                GednotJed Level 1

I like your lateral thinking. The problem is I don't just need audio, ultimately I will be recording a live music video so its essential video and audio are synchronised. I tried recording voice audio separately as you said via narration and it works ok. The thing is whenever I come out of the capture/record screen and then return to it, the sound setting defaults automatically back to the LifeCam mic from the focusrite - it seems to me there is a fault with how the software accepts an alternative mic source. I think your suggestions have lead me to that conclusion and helped verify it so thanks for that. Oh and yes your are correct, the focusrite interfaces with the pc independently from the webcam.

• 5. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements

The only other way I know is to you Add Media/From Webcam or WDM -- assuming Premiere Elements reads that webcam.

I just think you may be pushing against the grain here, Ged. A webcam isn't the best source for video or audio and Premiere Elements isn't the best program for recording live. It might be better to find the right tool for the job rather than choose the tool first and then try to make it work.

• 6. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements
                    GednotJed Level 1

Well Steve, actually the procedure to follow for using Scarlett 2i2 USB interface with Adobe premier elements is actually straightforward and I new this at the outset before posting my thread:

Assuming APE

1. Click on 'Add Media'
                    2. Click on 'Web Cam or WDA'

Then when the Record screen appears with its Capture and Audio source from audio source select the 'Line in (4 - Scarlett 2i2 USB) from the drop down menu. That should be it but the problem is it doesn't work as it should and so what I was looking for was perhaps behind the scenes set factors that I was unaware of.

You point out that APE is not going to give a quality result for what I'm doing, but I think I can decide what quality is suitable for my purposes and I'm happy at this stage to accept the limitations of webcam capture with a separate audio capture within a video editing suite - that's fine for my purposes which is tutorials albeit that include music played on an acoustic instrument.

Also regarding quality, I have tried several other video editing softwares including Cyberlink Powerdirector 14 and VideoPad (NCH). Both of these work fine with Scarlett 2i2 interface with no issues. The problem was the user interface on these is no where near as practical and easy to use as APE.

So...I hear what you say about quality and that a better result is achievable but there is no reason why what I'm trying to do on APE should not work. If it works fine on Cyberlink and NCH video editors and the quality produced meets my requirements then I don't understand why it so difficult to get to the same point with APE.

Regarding your confusion as to why I started another thread, I can see why you would think it is the same topic but I didn't see it like that. The purpose of this thread was to explore the Focusrite 2i2 USB interface and how it integrates with APE, whereas the point of the other thread is to explore and examine more closely the LifeCam Studio Webcam interface as oppose to the Scarlett 2i2.

When you suggested I should try the voice narration I realised that the Scarlett 2i2 works when isolated (up to a point at least). Certainly enough for me to assume that the main issue is probably with the LifeCam Studio or general webcam interface, hence the other thread.

If you have any other suggestions as to why Scarlet 2i2 won't run alongside the LifeCam Studio I'm all ears. However, because I'm experiencing so many stability issues with APE I think the issue is part of a big can of Windows 10/APE/webcam driver/Audio driver/ worms. I hoped more people might have engaged with the thread to help.

Cheers

• 7. Re: How do I use Scarlett usb with adobe premier elements

If you've got CyberLink PowerDirector, I'd recommend you capture your live video with it. It's designed to do this sort of live capture.

You can then edit the video and/or audio in whichever program you prefer.