8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 12:50 PM by MGo

LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically

MGo Level 1

I've bought a new lens, Tamron 45/1.8. Photos taken with that lens and newly imported into LR CC (latest version) are not automatically assigned to the corresponding lens profile.

If I choose 'Tamron' in the brand list box (inside the 'Profil' tab where to activate the lens correction ...) the model and profile settings are chosen automatically - and correct.

But why doesn't it work completely automatically as it does for oth (Tamron) lenses?

If I "save new defaults for lens profile" (not sure if the text is correctly translated; I'm using a German LR) the lens detection works fine also for new imported photos. But I'm quite sure that I've done this for my other lenses...

• 1. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This lens was added to LR 6.2.

Can you upload a copy of a photo taken with this lens to www.dropbox.com (or similar large file hosting site) and post a public share link to it, here?  I'd like to see if it acts the same for me or not.  Preferably this should be an original raw file from the camera not a DNG.

• 2. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically
            MGo Level 1

I've sent you a message...

• 3. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically

I downloaded your raw photo and the lens is not autodetected for me, either. 

If you notice in the send dropdown, the list of all the Nikon lenses, there are two profiles for Tamron 45mm f/1.8 with prefixes of F013E and F013N.  I think what’s happening is the firmware of the lens is giving a different lens ID compared to the two versions of this lens Adobe has already made profiles for, so yours may be a third version.

If you haven’t you could try and update the firmware for the lens and see if it somehow matches one of the two existing profiles.

I have submitted your photo to Adobe for analysis and hopefully they can include a third version of the profile that matches your lens in a future update.

• 4. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically
                MGo Level 1

Hey, great, thank you.

Let's wait for Adobe for an update on their profiles- meanwhile I will handle it manually

Best regards

Martin

• 5. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically

Adobe does provide a process for matching the right lens if its initial guess is wrong or not found but the right profile does exist.  The way to do it is in two steps:

1)      Select a photo taken with this lens, select the correct profile, in the Setup list, choose Save New Lens Profile Defaults and confirm if necessary.  Notice that if you select Auto the lens isn’t detected but if you select Default the lens is.  The next step will set the LR Default to Default instead of Auto.

2)      Now select another photo from the same camera that has NO ADJUSTMENTS, doesn’t matter what lens, go to Lens Corrections, select Default in the Setup area, press the Alt(Opt) key and click the button that’s changed from Reset to Set Defaults… with the Alt/Opt key and update the LR defaults to the current settings.  It’s important that the photo has no other non-default settings applied otherwise all of those will also get applied to every photo as its defaults.

Test that things are working by going to a photo that doesn’t have any adjustments but taken with the same lens, and click Reset.  The new Default (instead of Auto) lens profile Setup should be selected and the correct lens should be chosen.

Photos already imported will still need the Auto changed to Default, but newly imported photos should be ok.

• 6. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically
                    MGo Level 1

Hi.

I appriciate the time you spent to help me out!

Thanks again for the high quality answer and tip.

• 7. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically

I just got feedback from Adobe that says the non-auto-detection for the lens as is designed.  I don't know what this means, but maybe it's because there are two subtypes, already, or maybe the LensID for the lens is a duplicate of another lens and this requires your having to set a default as described, above.  I don't know but it looks like things won't change from Adobe's end and setting the default is the best solution.

• 8. Re: LR doesn't detect lens profile automatically
                        MGo Level 1

OK, thanks again.

I understand and will continue working manually. Maybe I will change my mind and think about the Sigma 50/1.4 lens - not because of the above issue but due to too much CA of the Tamron lens...