20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 8:30 AM by richardc7158224

Dangle Upwards?

Hitchcackle Level 1

I have a character that has antennae that stick up in the air. I want them to wiggle as the character moves his head.

I tried using dangle but they end up being too droopy. I really only want them to be affected by physics very slightly but no matter how i adjust the dangle settings I can't get them to stand up enough.

I basically want to increase the stiffness but I don't know how.

He also has a piece of wheat that's sticking out from his mouth that I want to wiggle similarly.

Thanks

Adam

• 1. Re: Dangle Upwards?
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Is this kind of what you are looking for? (you might have to click the image to see the motion)

Ear_002.gif

• 2. Re: Dangle Upwards?
            Hitchcackle Level 1

yes and I want it to move as a result of the head moving.

• 3. Re: Dangle Upwards?

Then I guess this is a better example (click the image if it doesn't move). And here also is the Ps layout.

The origin points are at the bottom of the ears; the dangle points are at the top.

Ear_005.gif wriggle.jpg

• 4. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                Hitchcackle Level 1

That's exactly the effect I'm looking for.

I forgot to mention, I'm building this in Illustrator. Here's what my layers look like

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 10.09.13 PM.png

The Antennae's won't move the way it's set up now (I tried to mimic what you have in your bunny file)

The way the wheat is set up, (at the bottom, highlighted) I get the dangle, but so much that it droops way down, like a piece of spaghetti

• 5. Re: Dangle Upwards?

Sorry, I don't use Illustrator so can't be much help on that.

Regarding the wheat dangling more than the antennae, are you adjusting each separately in Ch?

I did notice that the Ai layout looks much more complicated than a similar puppet in Photoshop might look. There's probably more going on than meets the eye.

• 6. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                    Hitchcackle Level 1

Well the wheat dangling more is only because I changed my layers trying to match yours so don't worry about that.

I guess what I'm really trying to do is have more control over the effect from within Ch. Are there any other parameters than these? Maybe there's another place to edit these?

ChAnimDangle.png

I've got everything (stiffness and attach strength) cranked up all the way. But it's getting effected so much. It originally looks like this:

ChAnimManny.png

I kind of figured I would have more acute control over it. I'm probably missing something..

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Dangle Upwards?

I used your wheat idea to put a carrot in the mouth of my rabbit. Then I went into Ch puppet panel, deleted the overall dangle behavior and activated a dangle behavior individually for each ear and the carrot. This gives me better control.

Scene - Bunny3_1.gif

• 8. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                        Hitchcackle Level 1

That is exactly the effect I'm looking to get.

How are you deleting the overall dangle behavior? Delete the layers underneath both antennae and wheat that are called "Dangle"?

• 9. Re: Dangle Upwards?

The overall dangle behavior shows in the puppet panel when no layers are selected (see the arrow on the right). Just click the horizontal lines on the right to get the remove option.

Overall.jpg

Then, I select each dangle group, and add a dangle behavior for that by clicking the + sign next to behaviors. That's all I did. This gives a dangle behavior for each item, which is what you want.

Overall_002.jpg

• 10. Re: Dangle Upwards?

This is what it looks like in the scene

Overall_003.jpg

• 11. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                              Hitchcackle Level 1

I've activated the dangle of each antennae and the wheat separately and the scene properties panel looks like it's supposed to but I'm still getting droopy dangle.

It's like my parts are too weak to hold themselves up.

SaggyManny.pngDangleSettings.png

Is it because they are thin strokes? Is the carrot you used sturdier because it's wider?

• 12. Re: Dangle Upwards?

It does seem to depend on the thickness. I'm surprised at that.

Try this: For the wheat, increase wind strength, say to about 50. Adjust the wind direction to point up a little. This should hold the wheat up.

• 13. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                  Hitchcackle Level 1

Thanks for your help!

• 14. Re: Dangle Upwards?

Another thing to try -- move the origin further towards the floppy end of the wheat, say half way. This should stiffen it.

• 15. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                      RockyDavies Level 1

I'm having this same struggle.  I tried all the steps and the wind strength and direction change helps a bit but still doesn't feel right.  Its like you need a directional gravity control.

I have a thin robot antenna with a heavy component at the top and it just doesn't spring side to side as I want it to. (it doesn't look like KJerryK's cool bunny ears)  The wind change makes it spring more up and down vs. side to side.  If I change the wind direction for more of a side to side motion, the antenna droops over.

• 16. Re: Dangle Upwards?

Can you post a screen cap of your puppet?

• 17. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                          CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Another way to "thicken" thin parts is to select the layer in the puppet panel and increase the Mesh Expansion value in the properties panel. Word of warning though: this increases the mesh boundary for all objects that share that mesh, and if you go too far you'll cause independent parts to merge together. Click Show Mesh at the bottom of the puppet panel to see exactly how the mesh is reacting to being expanded.

We hope to have more control over dangling and gravity direction in the future.

• 18. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                            RockyDavies Level 1

(sorry to jump in on Hitchcackle's thread, but hopefully it can help others too)

Here's a shot of my puppet.Daw-Puppet-preview.jpg

Its the antenna there at the top.  I want it to spring a little left to right when his head moves side to side.  I tried the setup you wrote in above and I can get it to be a little springy and not just flop over, but the spring is more of an up and down spring versus a side to side spring.

I placed a fixed point about halfway up and then a dangle point in the top block.  I have to have a strong upwards wind to keep it standing up or it droops over in half.  Because of that strong upwards wind, the spring is also up and down.

I'll have to take a look at Dave's mesh expansion when I get a chance.

• 19. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                              richardc7158224 Level 1

This is really useful. I also have a character with antenue and this should help me achieve what I need. Cheers !

• 20. Re: Dangle Upwards?
                                                richardc7158224 Level 1

I was struggling with this but found that adding a origin point at the base of the antennae and a dangle point at the top solved this. I didn't have to fiddle with the dangle parameters too much either.