1 2 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 6:20 AM by etherwork

Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

usersjc99 Level 1

I am able to read library books in ADE 4.5.1.133054 on my Macbook running OSX 10.11.2, and I have no problem transferring files to my Kobo. But when I try to open them on my Kobo, I get the message: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened" due to DRM issues.

My Macbook and Kobo both have the same valid adobe ID authorization. I can also download and open Toronto library books onto my iPad and read them in the Overdrive app. 

I have done a factory reset on my Kobo, ensured that the Kobo is running the latest version, uninstalled and re-installed ADE on my Macbook, deauthorized and reauthorized both my Macbook and Kobo. Nothing has worked.I am stuck!

The problem is recent. Previously I never had any difficulties transferring books from my desktop ADE to my Kobo and reading them on my Kobo.  Do any readers out there have any suggestions?  Thanks

• 2. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
          usersjc99 Level 1

THANK YOU! I found the following worked (for the benefit of anyone else who comes across this post):

- deauthorized my computer while ADE 4.5 was still installed

- uninstalled ADE 4.5

- renamed and moved the Digital Editions folder so there could be no possibility of reusing any files in that folder

- downloaded and installed ADE 3.0 found here: Adobe Digital Editions downloads

- authorized my computer

After doing the above, library books downloaded to my computer using ADE 3.0, and then transferred to my Kobo Glo, I am now able to open and read on my Kobo Glo. HURRAY!!

Note that I did not need to deauthorize / reauthorize my Kobo Glo.

Lesson learned: never never never install a newer version of ADE!!

Thanks for your help Nanaky.

3 people found this helpful
          • 4. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
            maureenhutch Level 1

Gosh so many people are reverting to ADE 3.0, but that appears to be totally unnecessary.  Here is what I did on ADE 4.5 and it worked for me:

If you’re having trouble getting library books on a kobo (quite probably a new one because changing things typically causes problems), try deleting all authorizations - (on your computer and on your ereader, but keep the ereader connected.)  Then go to your public library website and get a NEW book - (something about trying to open a book that you already took out somewhere, causes a glitch - for example if you previously opened a book on a tablet or phone, then that’s it - there will very very likely be NO OPENING it elsewhere, so make sure it is a newly borrowed one. If you are out of new borrows, you will have to use adobe digital editions to RETURN one your digital library books.  CLOSE and reopen ADE so that the return definitely happens).  After deleting all, authorizations (check in all locations to make sure it shows no authorizations), download the new book to your saving spot,  then click it to make it open in adobe digital editions:  Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. Use the drag down menu to find your library’s license type, for me it is Overdrive. Then enter your (Overdrive) email address and password. This should cause the book to open AND it also should cause your connected ereader to become authorized at the same time.  Click the back button at the top and then click your ereader, and then it’s gear sign to look to see if the ereader is also authorized. Even if it is not authorized, try dragging the new book onto it.  This should work immediately (as it did for me), or it should ask for an authorization.  You can then click on the ereader (not on all items) and see if you can open the book as it sits in the ereader area.  If it opens there, you should be good.

4 people found this helpful
            • 5. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
              janap79019031 Level 1

why did you have to " renamed and moved the Digital Editions folder so there could be no possibility of reusing any files in that folder"

• 6. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                janap79019031 Level 1

I unauthorized my computer and my kobo aura device from adobe digital editions.

Uninstalled adobe digital 4.5 version.

Downloaded the adobe 3 edition

Downloaded a new e-book from my library that I have never downloaded. It loaded fine

Then downloaded and transferred a book I was having issues loading to my e-reader and it loaded fine FINALLY.

It's as if the loading on the new e-book from the library created a new path to loading books!

• 7. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                  dodim74752965 Level 1

same thing happened to me this morning..i could read last night before bed, and all of a sudden this morning "Oops" message pops up! WTF!! spent hours working on this doing everything kobo live chat told me to do and un-authorized, re-authorized, un-installed, re-installed..on, off..etc...this really sucks because this is a brand new kobo glo and for the past 5 years i NEVER had a problem with my old kobo..til it died....

• 8. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                    okofoto Level 1

It seems that what you suggest works, judging from the responses. But it could be more reasonable to flood both Adobe and Kobo with emails and phone calls as there is, quite clearly, a communication problem between the two, each likely thinking it is the other's fault. This said, I would guess that Adobe is a bit more to blame since the problem does not appear for everyone and even in my case (if I remember correctly), it is only one of  the two libraries I use whose books won't open. The culprit is very likely something very stupid in the code and those who wrote them at either side ought to be able to find it. They should also check the software they provide to libraries.

I have tried many things and ready many comments and vented frustrations (including mine when it happened to me) and have sort of given up - the books that do not open I read on my tablet in Overdirive even though the screen is not as pleasant and the tablet big (Note 12.2).  I will also try the Kobo on the tablet, for testing purposes.

• 9. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                      okofoto Level 1

PS to the preceeding post. I posted the following about a month ago and it leads me to the wish to do another few tests.

1. I will try my wife's Kobo.

2. I will go to a store and ask to try a new Kobo

This will at least tell me if it is my Kobo or if it is general. In case it is my Kobo, I will suggest we all get together and demand replacement. But only if the tests are conclusive (and in that case I will also apologise to Adobe),

This is the old email:

It is actually more complicated than that.

I downloaded a second (random) book to test. All worked perfectly well, but the first book still would not open on the Kobo (repeat: I had de-authorised and re-authorised both the PC and the Kobo). I concluded the problem was with the file (which is what ADE or Kobo, cannot recall which, suggested) and wrote a longish message to the library asking them to refresh the file. As soon as I sent the message, the book became readable.

My feeling is that there is a problem with my Kobo. It does do strange things from time to time, unlike the first one I had (that I gave to my wife so I can buy the Glo and read in the dark).

Conclusion: still have no real idea.

• 10. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                        Sharad Vatsa Employee Moderator

Hi,

Please try following below steps and check whether this helps in resolving the issue:

1.        De-Authorize Adobe account by navigating to Settings->Accounts on the KOBO device.
                        2.        Launch ADE 4.5.2 (latest version). You may install it from Download | Adobe Digital Editions in case you do not have the latest version.
                        3.        Connect KOBO to Adobe Digital Editions.
                        4.        Select the device listed from ADE left-side panel.
                        5.        Click on device options and authorize KOBO.

Kindly try this and let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Sharad

• 11. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                          okofoto Level 1

Sorry, no.

I have tried this a great many times, it  never works. Even when

miraculously sometime later the book becomes available on the Kobo, it

seems unrelated to the procedure. That is, I can do it many times,

including a a factory reset on the Kobo, and still get "not authorised",

but a day or two later the book, even though in black in the Kobo page

(i.e. not authorised) suddenly becomes authorised.

gh

• 12. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                            PaulDingham Level 1

Thank you Maureen, this worked perfectly for me (delete authorisations on Kobo and Mac, borrow new book to trigger re-authorisation on Mac (no need to reauthorise on Kobo, guess that syncs automatically)).

Now for some reading at last :-)

• 13. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                              karenb24628560 Level 1

Thanks Maureen, ran into the problem myself today, tried your solution and works like a treat now.

• 14. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                margaretm67642306 Level 1

Thanks so much - this worked for me with my Mac/kobo combination - couldn't afford to remove Adobe Digital editions 4.5, since I had stopped being able to download anything to ADE 3, so was very frustrated and this worked (so far!) great - thanks for sharing!

• 15. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                  as4069515 Level 1

For what it's worth EVERYTHING covered/suggested in these links has been tried and NOTHING has worked !  Factory resets,  both old and new ADE versions tried , directory renaming, deauthorizing and reauthorizing, licensing resets, downloading different books etc. etc. and all done/tried in varying combinations and sequences and the Oops message STILL keep appearing !  Nobody, inlcuding anyone connected to either Adobe or Kobo seems to have a reliable answer or want to take responsibility for anything so it looks like the only solution for the rest of us is to dump the Adobe/Kobo association and look for better alternatives. Googling this problem shows that it's existed for a LONG time. 

• 16. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                    angiem49031384 Level 1

THIS! Thank you Maureen! After days of troubleshooting (I tried everything that has been discussed in this and similar threads) this is what worked for me. Until now I hadn't noticed the drop down menu when prompted to enter my Adobe ID. My library also uses Overdrive, so I scrolled the drop down, found Overdrive and entered my Overdrive username and ID (rather than my Adobe ID - the default prompt). Be warned that even after this, the transfer of library books was finicky. It worked well with a single book at a time (ie. download epub from library, open in ADE, transfer to Kobo and repeat). After trying to copy multiple books to my kobo at one time I ended up with the "oops!" error message again.

I would like to add that version 4.5 worked for me just fine with Adobe ID for one, maybe two downloads, and then I started getting the error message. Why so random?

UPDATE: Not working again. I am so DONE. This has taken away a week of my life. I am returning my kobo as soon as I find the receipt.

I am really surprised at Adobe for not figuring out how to streamline this process. I am normally a big fan of their software.

• 17. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                      AJIT_M Adobe Employee

Hi Angie,

I have sent you an email. Please respond back to the email so that we can proceed and troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

Ajit

• 18. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                        sumeride Level 1

I also have tried all these things and nothing works.  My Kobo Touch worked just fine until I downloaded ADE 4.5, then everything quit working.   I have also done the Factory Reset, authorize, unauthorize, uninstall, install, etc., etc.  Getting very frustrated.  There has to be a solution to this problem somewhere.

• 19. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                          jackieg31291561 Level 1

I just downloaded a book from my local library i have been doing this for years. i am using ADE 3.0 and a KOBO touch., It has been working fine and I checked and everything is authorized. I got this error: Oops! This document couldn't b opened this document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. I have tried the fixes in the forum and nothing worked. Please help.

• 20. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                            jackieg31291561 Level 1

can you help I have done everything in the forum. uninstalled ADE 3.0 (PC windows 10) (i had a different problem in december and the upgrade was not the answer) , the regedit delete the authorization for the computer and the ereader. restarted multiple times. reauthorized several times. I even tried downloading the book from another library. still this  Oops! This document couldn't be opened this document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. I have tried the fixes in the forum and nothing worked. I tried the chat but this is an unsupported product. I get library books at least weekly and really want to be able to read them on my kobo ereader.  Please help.

• 21. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                              sumeride Level 1

I too have tried everything mentioned in the previous posts.  I feel there has to be some glitch between Kobo and ADE because I downloaded ADE 3.0 to my iPad mini and downloaded books from the Library and it worked like a charm.  I downloaded books to my Kobo Touch for years with no problem.  The computer experts at Kobo and ADE need to put their heads together and fix this glitch.

• 22. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                RonWD Level 1

Agree with above poster. Nothing works to fix this problem. I think the problem is with Kobo .

• 23. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                  jackieg31291561 Level 1

Adobe while this is free software this is what we HAVE to use to move books to our Kobo ereader. If you won't support it when there is a problem offer an alternative...

• 24. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                    RonWD Level 1

I suggest you read my post again. I stated quite clearly that I felt the problem is at the Kobo end. Did you not pay for your Kobo lol?

• 25. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                      chrisk9707536 Level 1

I am having the same problem, and like many others have tried everything suggested with no success. Is there a solution to this?

• 26. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                        RonWD Level 1

Yes there is a solution .It's not perfect but it worked for me. You have to do a factory reset on your Kobo. After it boots up again DO NOT connect to the Kobo web site. You should now be able to open librairy books on your reader. My instructions may not be as clear as some other posters so search in the Kobo forums for a better "how to" on this solution but it worked for me.

• 27. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                          chrisk9707536 Level 1

so I can access library books, or my kobo books, but not both?

• 28. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                            chrisk9707536 Level 1

I just noticed this evening that ade is time stamping files 6 hours ahead of the current local time. I know some of the suggested solutions have mentioned to make sure the date and time on your kobo are correct, which I have done and they are - but if ade thinks it's 6 hours from now, maybe that's causing the issue?

• 29. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                              DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

This is my first Only Ereader - Kobo Glo HD. and I have spent D A Y S - H O U R S trying to solve this problem, as I am Retired and I do like a Challenge - But this situation everyone is having is UNEXCEPTIONABLE in this day and age of Technology from what Forms I have been reading.

If the time difference is an area that has not been dealt with - when everyone including myself has uninstalled - installed - 3.0 - 4.5 - authorized - unauthorized - Deleted Device, etc.Many - Many - Many times.

WHY not change our Computers to 6 hours ahead and also change the time on our Ereaders to 6 hours ahead.

Do you not think that this might have a chance of fixing the problem?  Why has not ADOBE given out this information seeing that SO many of us Ereaders need ADOBE to access out Library books that there is a Time Difference.

Regards - Rosalind

• 30. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

I just noticed that my Latest Reply was 3 hrs. back - so you must be in Western Canada, which puts a difference slant on just changing 6 hrs. ahead Computer & Ereader.

For the TIME DIFFERENCE from ADOBE - we would have to find out what TIME ZONE ADOBE was Operating from to then do the TIME Change on Computer & Ereader.

My Sister & B/L live in Bali, Indonesia and there TIME ZONE is Hong Kong,Beijing - a day ahead.

That is something I am going to fine out Tomorrow and them I will change my Computer & Ereader over, as I am expecting 2 Books from my Library to come available in the next few days and see if that works.

Regards - Rosalind

• 31. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                  DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris: AND EVERYONE ELSE who is having Problems/Issues downloading Library books to their Ereaders (Mine is a Kobo Glo HD Ereader.

I just found out something I never knew or was told about how to transfer my Library books to my Ereader other than picking up and dragging into my Ereader AND THIS WORKED for me.

1. Download Books to Bookshelf from your Library - I think most people have no trouble doing this part..

2, Install Ereader with USB cable.

3.Click on HELP to Authorize your Computer.

4.Then Click on your Ereader and when it is highlighted - click on the (GEAR)  to the Right  and a Menu says - Authorize Information.

5. If your haven't already Authorized you Ereader it will pull down a Menu to put in your ADOBE ID - WHICH SHOULD BE THE SAME AS YOUR COMPUTER ADOBE ID - and a Menu come down saying - Device Authorized

6.Then RIGHT Click on a Title Book in the Bookshelf - This brings down a Menu - Read

- Copy to Bookshelf

- Copy to Computer/Device - Computer

- Kobo Reader

7. Click on Kobo Ereader (Or what your Ereader is)

8. Then Sync your Ereader to Download your Book

9. This should work??

10. ALSO - when you Right Click on the Book Title -  the Drop Down Menu - you should Explore what else it says.

Good Luck Everyone - I do hope this is New Information for Everyone.

Also - as in a earlier comment - I AM NOT going to change my Computer or Ereader to a different time, as I think this is the solution to our problems/issues.

Regards - Rosalind

• 32. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                    chrisk9707536 Level 1

I tried changing the time on my ereader to match, it didn't help.

• 33. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                      DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

Did you not Read my latest reply - it reads - Hi Chris and EVERYBODY ELSE, etc. and follow 1-9.

Regards - Rosalind

• 34. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                        chrisk9707536 Level 1

Yes I read it Rosalind. I had already tried copying the books to my ereader using the method you described, several times like everything else - it didn't work for me. Good for you though!

-

Original Message -

• 35. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                          DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

Real Sorry to hear it didn't work for you - I do hope that some others have better luck with what I have written.

Well it is working for now - but it seems that ADOBE has a habit to working one minute and not the next from what I have been reading on your Forum and other complaints - So I am not holding any hope for future Library downloads - because whatever ADOBE says IT IS NOT OUR MALFUNCTIONING EREADERS.

You would think that by now ABODE Head Office would have solved this problem; as it seems to have happening as far back as 2012 and continuing to today.

IT IS SO RIDICULOUS to read the Responses from ADOBE - so that we can proceed and troubleshoot the issue

They damn well know what the Issue/Problems are - as they have access to this Forum what everyone has been voicing.

That's it for me - I AM DONE - We all have tried everything ADOBE has told us to do to no Avail.

Regards - Rosalind

• 36. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                            chrisk9707536 Level 1

So finally, I have an open library ebook on my ereader! Sorry to say, I did several things at once, so not sure if it was one or the other or a combination that finally solved the issue for me. But this is what I did.

In ADE I unauthorized my computer, then closed ADE. Using file explorer, I deleted everything adobe related from the ereader. I also deleted the "my digital editions" folder from my computer, as well as any individual files I could see related to the latest ebook I had downloaded. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled kobo desktop. While that was syncing, I logged into OverDrive and downloaded my borrowed book again. I had deleted enough stuff that I had to authorize my computer with ADE in order to download it. I authorized my computer using my OverDrive account rather than my Adobe ID. Then I closed ADE, connected my ereader, and let it sync with kobo desktop. When that was complete, back to ADE. It wouldn't even recognize the ereader. So I tried using file explorer to drag the ebook onto the kobo, and of course I couldn't open it. But after removing the ebook from the ereader, and then connecting the ereader to my computer, ADE found the ereader. I authorized it, and then copied the ebook to the ereader using the opposite mouse click to get the drop down to select copy to kobo rather than just dragging it. And here I am reading "Furiously Happy."

-

Original Message -

• 37. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                              DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

VERY Glad that at least there is now 2 of us that are able to read a Library book on our Ereader.

I do hope there are Others that read our Blogs and had equal Success.

Very Nice Chatting with you - Have a Nice Day.

Regards Rosalind.

• 38. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                                DNILASOR Level 1

Hi Chris:

One more time - I finally figured out the Op's - It seems that ADOBE blocks SOME books that are DRM.

DRM means that the Books CAN NOT BE COPIED - but can be read on the Computer.

(Digital Rights Management or DRM is a scheme that controls access to copyrighted material using technological means. It may refer to the usage of proprietary software, hardware, or any type of content: music tracks, video files, ebooks, games, DVD movies, emails, documents, etc. DRM is all about copyright protection.)

Mine was M.C. Beaton - Death of a Village - I read most of the others on my Computer and was getting tired of doing that and searched and searched different sites and found - DRM does not allow to be COPIED.

So in most cases it is not ADOBE - but the Book we are trying to Download to our Library to read on our Ereader - not on our Computer.

Hope that is some help to you.

Regards - Rosalind

• 39. Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"
                                                                                  healthyskincana Level 1

Ajit,

PLEASE HELP!  I see you offered to assist Angie and I am also having severe issues with my Kobo Touch.  I was able to successfully download the book into ADE (both versions - see below) and move it into my Kobo.  When trying to read them on the Kobo Touch I receive the following message:

• Oops! This document couldn't be opened
                                                                                    This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again.

I did what many others have suggested in many forums.  I did a factory reset of my Kobo Touch.  I have authorized, de- authorized and reauthorized multiple times (both the Kobo Touch and my computer).  I removed the book from my library on the Kobo and on the computer.  I went to My Digital Downloads in My Documents and deleted the books from there.  I uninstalled and reinstalled ADE 4.? and then thought since this is an older Kobo maybe I needed an older version of ADE and then installed 3.0.  I tried getting out a new book to see if that would help (as was suggested as well).

I went to my library and they said they would get back to me.  I also "chatted" with Kobo and they said I would need to address it with Adobe (which is pretty much impossible since you don't have customer service for your free products).

I also tried authorizing (as suggested twice and it did work for two people) it with Overdrive, but now it's not recognizing my authorization so I am now unable to download the book into ADE or return it to the library whether I sign in with my Adobe ID or my Overdrive ID!  Uggh!!  So I can't even read it on another device

It is additionally frustrating that not only is it apparent this has been an issue for a long time but there is no help for this issue on your troubleshooting page (and I did try the troubleshoot you have for error messages even though this message wasn't one of them) and we cannot receive assistance from customer service.

PLEASE HELP!!!

1 2 Previous Next