4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 11:53 AM by jhourihane

import photoshop composition layers

jhourihane Level 1

I have an empty AE project and am trying to import a psd using "import as composition - retain layer sizes / editable layer styles"

One I press import with the dialog set as above the "importing selected items..." message appears and just sits there - progress bar shows blue stripes but does not change.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

John

After Effect 2015.2

Photoshop 2015.2

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• 1. Re: import photoshop composition layers
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try it with a very basic Photoshop document. Like, just one layer with a square shape or something. See if that works. (Make sure your Photoshop document is set to RBG, not grayscale or CMYK or something.)

• 2. Re: import photoshop composition layers
            jhourihane Level 1

Thanks Szalam,

I tried with a single layer PSD RGB 72dpi 640x480 pixels, it still crashes after effects.

The only method of importing a PSD which does not crash after effects for me is to use "import as footage" which of course will take much longer because I would have to do this for every layer to get the required results.

Best regards,

John

After Effect 2015.2

Photoshop 2015.2

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

• 3. Re: import photoshop composition layers
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure AE is up to date. Make sure Photoshop is up to date. I can not find any problems importing a PSD as a comp on Mac or Windows unless there is something really odd going on in the PSD and even then I don't get a crash.

• 4. Re: import photoshop composition layers
                jhourihane Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for jumping in here!

As per my mail both Photoshop and After Effects are updated at the time of writing to the latest versions.

As per my mail I am running Windows 10 64-Bit not OSX.

I am happy to provide any additional information or files to you, or anyone who has any interest in investigating this issue.

Many thanks again for any further assistance you can offer,

John