14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 3:19 PM by Rick Gerard

newbie wants anchored stabilization

Steve Zeeeee Level 1

All i want to do is one of those anchor point stabilizations,

but there are so many options in tracker panel, I am stumped.

And no sampling scheme so far has worked.  But I do get a lot of "tracks". 

Tutorials?  Tho one i followed did NOT work for me.

Thanks anyone

\

Steve z

• 1. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And what exactly are you trying to track? What tutorial? Sorry, but you are describing a blue elephant under water and your post doesn't make any sense without seeing your footage and a better explanation of what you are trying to achieve.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you don't want the camera tracker. You want AE's basic point tracker. Details here: Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

• 3. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
              Steve Zeeeee Level 1

I have a hand held clip which is kinda stabilized from the camera.

Now I want to stop all hand held movement. I presume there is

a technique where we can identify a consistent object or image point(s)

and AE will freeze that spot for me, frame by frame, and the footage

will look stable.

Last time I tired this, the tracker traced all over the place. I wanted the

video frame content to move all over the place.  There are numerous

settings in the tracker panel and I'm thinking I need to know which of

these is appropriate.  Thanks

Was the heading for this:

Track or stabilize motion with the point tracker

• 4. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can either use Warp Stabilizer VFX or AE's point tracker to do it. Follow the link I gave in my last post for several good resources and links to tutorials.

• 5. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                  Steve Zeeeee Level 1

Wow, did my "no motion" VFX in AE and it threw the central lit stage surrounded by black,

right off the canvas.  What a terrible start where it seemed like an obvious simple situation.

• 6. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, we don't know the state of that hand-held shot.  If it's bad, nothing will work.  AE's good at a lot of things, but it can't work miracles.

• 7. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                      Steve Zeeeee Level 1

well the original is pretty smooth but travels around a little bit,

certainly well within the frame.  If i shrink the canvas it is all

there and pretty well stabilized, but useless since it is beyond

the canvas (photo).  Playback is always herky jerky tho.

How do we get around that?  Been plaguing me ever since I

got PPRO & AE.  Also why cant we confine analysing to just a

portion of the vid to see if it is going to work?  Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.17.46 PM.png

• 8. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but "certainly well within the frame" doesn't sound encouraging for your success.  Stabilization works best when the movements are small. 

If you want to stabilize a smaller portion of a longer clip, make it shorter in a different application -- like Premiere Pro.  Then export it as a brand-new clip.  While you're at it, export it in a lossless or darned-near lossless codec to give yourself good image quality later.  I like QT's in Animation, PNG, Photo JPEG or ProRes 422 codecs for the chore.

• 9. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                          Steve Zeeeee Level 1

"doesn't sound encouraging"

well, it certainly never runs to the edge of the frame AND

the clip IS stabilized off canvas, so it seems stabilizable.

• 10. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Warp Stabilizer -- which is what you want -- works by... guess what?  Stabilizing and WARPING your image to create the bits of video no longer there.  If your image moves around too much, the edges of the stabilized shot are going to look goofy.

But if that's no concern to you, I say press on!

Or you could just re-shoot.  Using a tripod.  So you don't get these kinds of problems in the first flippin' place, y'know?

Geez, some people.  "Hey, I've got brand new software, and they say it can fix my mistakes!  I bet it can fix anything!"

No, it can't.

• 11. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                              Steve Zeeeee Level 1

well it's pretty hare to get a tripod into a concert...

But I have plenty of surround and 4K so there has got to be a way.

It DID "no motion" stabilize very well, just way off the canvas !!

• 12. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In a concert you are going to have a lot of stuff moving on the stage, lots of moving lights and very little detail in the fixed geometry in your shot. This means that Warp Stabilizer isn't going to have very much good data to work with and it's not going to do a very good job.

If you are holding the camera fairly stable and there are two points that have sufficient detail to track you might be better off with Stabilize Motion with rotation than warp stabilize. You'll have to crop the shot a bit but if there's anything you can get a decent track from you should be OK.

Here's the technique.

1. Trim your clip to include just the part you want to have in the final edit using the Footage Panel in AE or better yet rough cut your video in Premiere Pro and then copy and paste the cuts you want to stabilize into an AE comp or select the trimmed footage in the Project Panel and then use File>New Comp from selected to create your comp
                                2. Select the Motion Tracking workspace.
                                3. Select your clip in the Comp Timeline and double click to open in the Layer Panel
                                4. Make sure your clip is selected in the Motion Source option in the Tracker Panel
                                5. Choose Stabilize Motion then add rotation to bring up two tracking area targets
                                6. Pick two areas of detail in the shot that are going to stay in frame for the whole shot and that have sufficient detail to track
                                7. Warning... 99% of the folks that I teach tracking to use the default tracking area size and in almost every case it's way too small. Make it about twice as big and pick plenty of detail and you should get a good track.
                                8. When the tracking is complete and you have checked and fixed any parts that jump around or fail hit apply.

Return the the start of the timeline and check your stabilized shot. Look for exposed edges and pick the spot with the biggest hole. Now either create a new comp that's a little smaller than the original like a 720p comp from a 1080-p comp and drag your stabilized comp into the new one or add a null layer to the timeline, parent the stabilized footage to the null and scale up and position the null to fix the edge problem with the footage.

• 13. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                                  Steve Zeeeee Level 1

Great thank you.

Be sure to copy paste this for all the user questions!

I almost did most of the things you wrote, and now I'm good thank you.

I dont expect an answer, but playback is wretched,

just like the old AE.  I understand we have to wait for some kind

of ram rendering.  That's the green bar, rightr?  But that green bar

never does the whole 40 second clip.  And If I do ANYTHING like

move the play head or pause, all that ram rendering is lost and here

we go all over again herky jerky and as above.  In fact, I just exported

the whole clip unseen and hoped, and it worked out.

• 14. Re: newbie wants anchored stabilization
                                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To improve playback try adding the Render Cue to the bottom of the timeline and then shrink it down as much as you can so it's just a bar. It's an odd workaround that seems to be working on all of my machines.