5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 12:02 PM by Steve Grisetti

Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?

Videodoc

Hi!  I have a ton of renamed, short clips in a project I'm working on.  Problem is, as I edit the longer film clips go ziping down to the extreme right (off the monitor)  resulting in a lot of blue air in here as I search for what I need.

And many of my audio clips (narration) have taken off to the right-ward hinterlands, lost from the workspace until I go through that laborious search for them.  Seems to me it wastes a LOT of time.

Can anybody help?

• 1. Re: Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think I know what you're asking, but I'm not clear because of the way you're asking it.

What do you mean by "as I edit the longer film clips go ziping down to the extreme right (off the monitor)  resulting in a lot of blue air in here as I search for what I need?"

And what do you mean by "many of my audio clips (narration) have taken off to the right-ward hinterlands, lost from the workspace until I go through that laborious search for them?"

Please just describe what you're doing and what is or is not happening. There are a couple of ways to trim longer clips so that they appear in the Project Assets panel as shorter segments.

• 2. Re: Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?
            Videodoc Level 1

Sorry to have been a little obtuse with my questions, Steve.  You'll be

interested to note that I'm going through my Elements 14 break-in period

with your book by my side. Sometimes the book has been helpful, but for

these issues, not so much yet.

My project (I guess like most others) is contained in one long video

segment dealing with one subject.  That long segment was added to E14 as

media.  I'm pulling from this long segment shorter clips that will match

the needs of my project script.  I lift a clip from the long segment, and

pull it to the video 1 timeline.  Then I rename it.  This leaves the rest

of the long clip on the video 2 or 3 timeline.  I return to the longer

segment for more short scenes to pull to the video 1 timeline.

All the while, my cut up long segment remains on another video timeline.

But what's happening is those other timelines are getting clogged up right

above my work area.  So, I drag these remaining pieces (still to be used

for short clips) to the right or left of my focus area on vid 1.  After a

while, because I'm pulling clips and inserting them in vid 1, I get a real

mess above my work area.  All that mess gets pulled to the right, so my CTI

doesn't get confused.  I think I've confused it!

What I'd really like to do, *before *I assemble the project, is go through

the entire long video segment and identify the short clips I want to use,

then save them to the Project Assets panel.  I want to do this * before *I

start the final edit.  I could do this in Premiere Pro 1.5 as I captured

content, but it seems Windows 10 did me a bad deed and wouldn't recognize

my efforts to capture from my miniDV tapes.  I tried your suggested work-

around program but it would not recognize my media device, a Sony mini-deck.

So, that's my issue.  Also, I'm finding my narration on audio track 1 is

really getting confused.  I'm deep into the project now (it's a little

under 5 minutes long and I'm at about 3:45) As I play the narration track

back to see which video clip I want to insert at a particular point, I'm

finding totally different audio on the track!  Yes, I have disabled audio

on all the clips.  So, I also have to edit the audio track as I go along.

Is it possible I have a glitchy version of E14....or is it Operator Error,

and it's ME that is glitchy?  Hope this makes more sense.  BTW, I learned

editing concepts on 16mm film, more than 50 years ago.  We'd run the film

through a reader, use scissors to clip out segments we wanted and tape them

up on a use bar, then pick up those pieces and splice them into the project

as we needed them.  That's what I'm trying to do here, too, I guess, only

digitally.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?

I'm not sure about your narration. I think we'll need to troubleshoot that as a separate issue.

But here's how you create small clips from a longer clip:

1) Set the Project Assets panel to List View by selecting it from the Panel Options in the upper right of the panel.

2) Double-click on your video in Project Assets (before you place it on your timeline).

3) In the Clip Monitor, set in and out points to define your shorter clip.

4) Drag this shorter clip from the Clip Monitor back into the Assets panel. It will appear as if it were a new, shorter clip.

You can do this to as many segments of this longer clip as you'd like.

There's also an automatic way that may work for you. Once again make sure you're in List View. It doesn't work as well in Grid View.

Right-click on a clip on the Project Assets panel and select Run Auto Analyzer. This will create a new folder in your Project Assets with the longer clip automatically trimmed to shorter clips, based on changes in the content.

• 4. Re: Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?
                Videodoc Level 1

You, sir, are a gentleman, scholar, and lover of fine wines!!  I can't

thank you enough.  And by the way, you write a really cool book!!

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Can I save short, renamed clips to the project assets folder in Elements 14?

Thank YOU, Videodoc! Be sure to mark this question as answered.