5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 5:42 AM by Steve Grisetti

Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.

davidm1626749

I am using Premiere Elements 14 and have been editing a video that I've saved successfully to a DVD disk. However, Elements 14 only allows a 720X576 file on a DVD when my TV can show 1920X1080, so I decided to burn an AVCHD file to my Windows 7 computer hard drive,  so that I could then transfer this higher quality file to a DVD disk. When I do this the AVCHD file seems to be burning successfully to the computer folder until it reaches 98 %. At that point Elements 14 freezes and up comes a message ever time saying that the program has encountered a problem and will close.

This failure in Premiere Elements has been reported in the Adobe forums a number of times, so it is clearly a design fault with the Adobe program. Is there any way of working around this fault? I would appreciate feedback suitable for a layman's understanding rather than feedback that only a technical expert can understand.

If there is no successful way of burning an AVCHD file using Premiere Elements how to I return the program and get a refund?

• 1. Re: Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want avchd on a dvd disk you need to make an avchd iso, is that what you are trying to do?

• 2. Re: Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ann is right. An AVCHD disc is a completely different kind of disc. It is not a higher quality DVD disc.

In fact, an AVCHD disc will not play in a DVD player. AVCHD discs are high-definition video and will only play in BluRay players.

In version 14, you create an AVCHD disc by selecting Export & Share/Disc/AVCHD.

The process you are describing -- outputting an AVCHD file and then copying that file to a DVD -- will NOT produce an AVCHD video. It will produce a disc with an AVCHD file on it, which can only be played on a computer. Not on a DVD or BluRay disc player.

Meantime, failing at 98% usually indicates that you either have a Stop Marker at the end of your movie (do NOT do this) or that you have a blank space on your video timeline.

• 3. Re: Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On a side note: there will fit about 20 minutes of timeline on an avchd disk.

Not all BD players will play an avchd disk correct.

• 4. Re: Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.
                davidm1626749 Level 1

Thankyou for taking the time to suggest answers to the problem. After sending my question to the Adobe forum I did a search on the Adobe help site and came across “Error compiling movie” during render or export in Adobe Premiere Elements.”  This was the closest definition I could find to the problem I was having. This posting listed a number of things I could try to overcome the problem. I started with the simplest recommendations. In Premiere Elements Disable Autosave  and   Disable any applications that could be interfering with the render process.

I disabled autosave in Premiere Elements settings. I then changed my computer’s power saving settings to stay on rather than go into sleep mode or switch on the screen saver. I hoped to avoid interrupting Premiere Elements during the exporting process.

I follow the standard advice to ease the demands on my computer’s hard drive when processing video by storing files on an external drive while the computer’s processor does the hard computing work. In order to simplify the exporting process I saved the exported AVCHD ISO file directly to a new folder in  my computer’s hard drive rather than to the external hard drive.

Having taken these simple steps the problem I had been having was solved and Adobe Elements successfully exported the AVCHD ISO file.

My video was 57 minutes long; it contained adjustments to the sound, to the brightness, colour balance and contrasts of clips. It contained menu markers. I did not remove any of these as some postings recommend.

I copied the exported AVCHD ISO  file to a DVD disk, not a Blu ray disk. In Premiere Elements Export and Share there is a tick box saying Fit Contents to Available Space. The resulting DVD disk played easily on my blu-ray player connected to my TV in the lounge, producing a superb high definition 1920 X 1080 image on my TV. All the main and scene menus that I added to the video worked without problem.

I hope this helps the people who have encountered the same problems that I was having.

• 5. Re: Burning AVCHD file to computer hard drive in Premiere Elements causes program to close at 98% complete.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad you found a solution, David.

However, do note that your DVD is NOT 1920x1080, even if it does look great in your TV lounge.

A DVD is a DVD. It's 720x480 standard definition, even if you created it from a high-def video file. Modern disc players and HDTVs do a very nice job of upscaling DVD video so that it looks almost as good as high-def.

But in reality, your new DVD is exactly the same resolution as you'd have gotten by simply going directly from your original project directly to a DVD.