5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 9:36 AM by 99jon

LR will not send edits to PS

FWG99 Level 1

I previously posted this issue on the Creative Cloud forum as initially I thought that was the right place but now I am thinking it should have been here. Following upgrading my PC to Win 10 I have had major issues with LR and PS mostly around the edit interface. In isolation both programs work as per the book but the problem starts when I try to send an edit to PS. I have been a user of these programs for a number of years but this has me stumped!

In detail what happens is as follows.

I open a file (usually a CR2 type but sometimes JPEG - it makes no difference) in LR for the first edit which is completed as normal.

I the used the menu option in LR "Edit in PS CC2015" (note as one suggestion on the forum I set up PS as an alternative external editor but the result is the same)

PS opens with a warning that it wants to make changes to my computer, which I accept, but the file does not open.

Approximately 2 MINUTES later there is a message on the LR screen "The file could not be edited because Adobe PS CC 2015 could not be launched". (NOTE THAT IT HAS BEEN LAUNCHED AT THIS POINT!)

Click "OK" to that message and another message appears "LR was unable to prepare the selected file {full path and file name.CR2 } for editing. It will not be opened" BUT AFTER A SECOND WARNING ABOUT PS MAKING CHANGES TO MY COMPUTER, (click OK)  ITDOES OPEN WITH ALL THE LR EDITS PRESENT BUT WITH A .tiff EXTENSION!

As a final twist LR immediately writes an "edit" copy of the .tiff version directly to the hard drive with no warnings of any kind.

To forestall some questions I have fully deleted an re-installed both Creative Cloud Desk Top, PS and LR three times with exactly the same results. My computer has a 6 core 3.3 GHz processor and a Radeon HD6670 graphics card and  24 GB ram so the PC should not be any part of this issue. Is LR/PS incompatible with Win 10? As a subscriber to CC I always have the latest software version and as part of the Win 10 upgrade all my other drivers were upgraded to the latest standard.

I apologise for the length of this post but I do want to try to get a resolution if possible before reverting to Win 7 and I have apparently one month to do this!

• 1. Re: LR will not send edits to PS
          xtudionl

>> ITDOES OPEN WITH ALL THE LR EDITS PRESENT BUT WITH A .tiff EXTENSION!

As a final twist LR immediately writes an "edit" copy of the .tiff version directly to the hard drive with no warnings of any kind.<<

Look at this:

external_edit.jpg

By default it opens as a TIFF

By default it ads -Edit to the filename.

If Stack with original is selected it will store the edit next to your RAW file in the same folder

• 2. Re: LR will not send edits to PS
            FWG99 Level 1

I know LR send a .tiff to PS but I have never noticed that LR/PS write to the hard drive directly with no warning which is what it is doing. Also what is the huge delay and the warnings which actually are not true? That is the point of my post and the problem. It is taking ages to process each photo (or group) which it has not done before my upgrade.

• 3. Re: LR will not send edits to PS
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It may be worth checking your Windows 10 default applications.

System >> Default Apps

It could be that the setting for opening tiff files is defaulting to the Windows Photo Gallery or the Microsoft Photos app. Try changing the default for all tiff files to Photoshop CC 2015. If it is not listed, click the Find More Apps button.

• 4. Re: LR will not send edits to PS
                FWG99 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion. I have just tried that but has made no difference. I do not understand the massive delay and incorrect error messages. Isn't anyone from Adobe watching these forums?

• 5. Re: LR will not send edits to PS
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s a bit puzzling. Does it work if both LR and PS are already open?

Try launching Creative Cloud and signing-out (click the settings – gear icon) and then sign-in again. Go to the Apps tab and wait for all the apps to refresh. When the buttons change to “Open” launch both applications and try again.

If nothing changes what happens if you chose from the LR menu:

Edit in >> Open as Smart Object in Photoshop