4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2016 1:43 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Loading/Manipulating a full character turnaround speed problem?

justinf17886851 Level 1

I have a full character turnaround (Left Profile, Left Quarter, Front, Back, Right Quarter, Right Profile) for the head and body.
      They are each at 3k by 3k @ 300 DPI I brought in from Photoshop which I would like to keep for close-up shots.
      Loading takes forever. Like even adding one stick to a body part. And why can I see the mesh for all the other angles when I only want to work in just one (even when I turn the eye off)?

My computer is pretty decent.

Any ideas on how to speed this up without having to drop the resolution or load each angle as a separate puppet (I really wanted to keep him in one puppet for easy head/body turns)?

I'd be happy to upload the character if that will help!

Thanks for all the help friends!

• 1. Re: Loading/Manipulating a full character turnaround speed problem?
          justinf17886851 Level 1

Oh, I should note that once the character is loaded in the preview screen it's fine and runs smooth, but if I go into the puppet view to make a tweak it's like it has to load all the puppets over again, even if I'm just modifying one of the angles.

• 2. Re: Loading/Manipulating a full character turnaround speed problem?
            CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Yes, if you upload the character we can take a look to diagnose. It may be a very dense mesh. Preview 4 will be better about keeping the mesh less dense (& thus run faster). One way to speed it up in Preview 3 is to delete handles that you're not using.

• 3. Re: Loading/Manipulating a full character turnaround speed problem?
              justinf17886851 Level 1

Awersome! Thank you very much.

Do I lower the mesh (default of 3) in Character Ani?

Either way, here's the editable google drive link with the character

animator's PS file:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4Fx0U206e5QM2kxY1BVVEduOGc&usp=sharing

Thank you so much!

• 4. Re: Loading/Manipulating a full character turnaround speed problem?
                CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

Great puppet!

Since you have a keyboard shortcut assigned to all views,when the puppet is first imported, it completely disappears (since applying a shortcut makes that layer disappear until the shortcut is pressed). I assume you're applying Head Turner so that your head angle controls which view shows up, which fixes the disappearing issue.

Your blink layers are named like this: "Right Blink (!)". But should probably be either "Right Blink (b!)" or just "Right Blink" -- the "!" modifies the keyboard trigger to Hide Siblings, so it doesn't make sense without a trigger letter or number.

> They are each at 3k by 3k @ 300 DPI I brought in from Photoshop which I would like to keep for close-up shots.

Your PSD is 2586 x 4139, which is large but not unreasonable. To reduce memory load, I used the PS crop tool to trim it down a bit more, mainly to ensure that no pixels were being retained outside the document bounds ("Delete Cropped Pixels" tool option for crop). I had to make sure all layers were turned on in PS to be sure I wasn't amputating anything important.

> Loading takes forever. Like even adding one stick to a body part. And why can I see the mesh for all the other angles when I only want to work in just one (even when I turn the eye off)?

Each layer adds to the mesh of its parent group (even when the eyeball is off -- since later it may be turned on during animation), UNLESS you've turned on Warp Independently. This is either done by selecting the layer in the puppet panel and checking the option in the properties panel, or by adding a "+" in front of the name in PS/AI. You have already done that for all the views in the Head group, but not for the views in the Body group. Besides the checbox, this is indicated in a subtle way: the puppet icons in the puppet outline on the left side of the puppet panel show as white for Warp-Independently groups, and dimmed for non-Warp-Independently groups.

> My computer is pretty decent. Any ideas on how to speed this up without having to drop the resolution or load each angle as a separate puppet (I really wanted to keep him in one puppet for easy head/body turns)?

Can you give some more details on platform, OS, CPU speed, memory?

One way to speed up puppet panel editing is to double-click on the group that you're working on. That will open just that group as a separate puppet in the puppet panel (you can switch between the different puppets in the panel using the dropdown menu in the panel tab at the top).

We are also working on optimizing the app in various ways, so this should get better. Thanks for the feedback!