5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 2:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

Database

Level 7
      Well, thanks for all of your help. I believe at this point I've exhausted
      the possibilities in trying to get version 1.0.1 of the V12 database xtra to
      work. INM won't budge at all on the price and are requiring my buying the
      latest version.

So, now I'm looking into creating my own database with lists. The game has
      10 difficulty levels and 20 different options so there would be a maximum of
      200 high scores per registered name. If 100 students use the game, there
      would be 200,000 pieces of data + the 100 names. All data would be floating
      point numbers except for the names which would of course be a string. It's
      would be a fairly basic property list albeit a large one.

Would there be a huge performance hit working with a property list this
      large? I'm assuming that memory wouldn't be an issue, right?

Craig

--
      Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
      159-00 Riverside Drive West
      New York, New York 10032
      (212) 928-9581

• 1. Re: Database
          Level 7
          > Would there be a huge performance hit working with a property list this
          > large?

I wouldn't think so, but how are you intending to store this data?
          • 2. Re: Database
            Level 7
            Sean,

I can only think of a property list then storing that on the users hard
            drive using the propSave xtra? I believe that's what it's called. Of
            course, I would avoid a text file...that would be very inefficient.

Each name would be a property and it's associated list would be a property
            list of the level and score, or a linear list with level/score pairs,
            something to that effect.

Craig

--
            Craig S. Wollman

New York, New York 10032
            (212) 928-9581
            "Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:go9ijv$h0j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Would there be a huge performance hit working with a property list this
            >> large?
            >
            > I wouldn't think so, but how are you intending to store this data?

• 3. Re: Database
              Level 7
              > I can only think of a property list then storing that on the users hard
              > drive using the propSave xtra?

Are you sure the propSave xtra is available cross-platform for the
              version of Director you are using? If not, there is vList - and you
              /might/ get away with its free functions. Alternatively there is
              Valentin Schmidt's free SQLite xtra if you want to stick with tables and
              SQL: < http://dasdeck.de/staff/valentin/xtras/sqlite/>

> I would avoid a text file...that would be very inefficient.

I was going to suggest that.
              • 4. Re: Database
                Level 7
                Come to think of it, I guess propsave is not cross platform. Since I only
                need to save and read, vList would probably work.

But, all is moot, for I looked into the program and there are far too many
                references to data. The program was written so inefficiently that there are
                hundreds of places where data is being collected and written...all in
                separate handlers/behaviors.

So, it's going to cost the guy who hired me much less just to buy the new
                version of the xtra and I'll stick with the old code. It wasn't written
                well but it does work.

--
                Craig S. Wollman

New York, New York 10032
                (212) 928-9581
                "Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:go9lub$l7k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> I can only think of a property list then storing that on the users hard
                >> drive using the propSave xtra?
                >
                > Are you sure the propSave xtra is available cross-platform for the version
                > of Director you are using? If not, there is vList - and you /might/ get
                > away with its free functions. Alternatively there is Valentin Schmidt's
                > free SQLite xtra if you want to stick with tables and SQL:
                > < http://dasdeck.de/staff/valentin/xtras/sqlite/>
                >
                >> I would avoid a text file...that would be very inefficient.
                >
                > I was going to suggest that.

• 5. Re: Database
                  Level 7
                  I have to say, sometimes I think I should have been a PI or detective.

Amazingly, In searching through myriad backup CD's I noticed that the source
                  files for the Mac used version 3.3 of the V12 Xtra. I called the guy who
                  hired me and he just happened to remember the name of the guy who created
                  these programs. Integration New Media had that name in their database and
                  they graciously gave me the serial number for the xtra so I could register
                  version 3.3 on the PC.

Thanks to INM

--
                  Craig S. Wollman

New York, New York 10032
                  (212) 928-9581
                  "WOMP" <craig@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
                  news:go9hqu$gb4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Well, thanks for all of your help. I believe at this point I've exhausted
                  > the possibilities in trying to get version 1.0.1 of the V12 database xtra
                  > to work. INM won't budge at all on the price and are requiring my buying
                  > the latest version.
                  >
                  > So, now I'm looking into creating my own database with lists. The game
                  > has 10 difficulty levels and 20 different options so there would be a
                  > maximum of 200 high scores per registered name. If 100 students use the
                  > game, there would be 200,000 pieces of data + the 100 names. All data
                  > would be floating point numbers except for the names which would of course
                  > be a string. It's would be a fairly basic property list albeit a large
                  > one.
                  >
                  > Would there be a huge performance hit working with a property list this
                  > large? I'm assuming that memory wouldn't be an issue, right?
                  >
                  > Craig
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Craig S. Wollman
                  >
                  > Word of Mouth Productions
                  > 159-00 Riverside Drive West
                  > New York, New York 10032
                  > (212) 928-9581
                  >