4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 10:12 AM by rbencz

change Boolean variable on the stage

rbencz

hi! this is my first post here! so I've been playing around for a while with the Adobe Edge Animate for a while and it's pretty cool and I'm trying to create a super basic layout with a looping video, and when the user press the button, the current video plays until the end and then starts the new one. the button simply it changes the the variable state from false to true, pretty straight forward but for some reason it's not working. I'm an artist, so I don't know much about code besides if/else haha

here is the code on the stage (it's set on the CompositionReady):

var loop1 = sym.$("loop")[0];

var nextLoop = new Boolean();
      console.log(nextLoop); //false

loop1.onended = function(e){
      if (nextLoop == true){
           // Show an element
           sym.$("loop2").show();
           // Play a video track
           sym.$("loop2")[0].play();
           }
           else{
           loop1.play()
           }
      };

and here's the button code:

sym.getSymbol("next_btn").play(); //fade out
      //change nextLoop state
      sym.getComposition().getStage().nextLoop = true;

I'm pretty much sure it's a syntax error, but I really don't know how to fix it

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: change Boolean variable on the stage
          ddhayles Level 3

Hi rbencz

You will need to create a global variable for it to function correctly, I have commented the 2 lines I have added:

sym.setVariable("nextLoop", false); // Create a new global variable called 'nextLoop' and set it to false

var loop1 = sym.$("loop")[0];

loop1.onended = function(e){

nextLoop = sym.getComposition().getStage().getVariable("nextLoop"); // Get Global Variable and set it to a local variable

if (nextLoop == true){

// Show an element

sym.$("loop2").show();

// Play a video track

sym.$("loop2")[0].play();

} else {

loop1.play()

}

};

And then on your button place the following code:

sym.getComposition().getStage().setVariable("nextLoop", true); // Change the value of the global variable 'nextLoop' to true

• 2. Re: change Boolean variable on the stage
            rbencz Level 1

yes!! it works like a charm, thank you so much!!

so anytime I need to modify an variable I've to use the "setVariable", pick the variable's name and change it's value, is that right?

• 3. Re: change Boolean variable on the stage
              ddhayles Level 3

No Worries, so first you need to declare the variable as a global before you do anything else at document.compositionready using sym.setVariable()

i.e.

sym.setVariable("nextLoop", false); // Creates a new global variable called 'nextLoop' and set it to false

You can then assign that global to a local variable anywhere you like, inside any symbol, at any level by using getVariable() and targeting it on the root sym.getComposition().getStage().

i.e.

nextLoop = sym.getComposition().getStage().getVariable("nextLoop"); // Gets the Global Variable and set it to a local variable

Then whenever you need to change the Global variable you can target the original path of the first variable you set using the setVariable() again:

i.e.

sym.getComposition().getStage().setVariable("nextLoop", true); // Change the value of the global variable 'nextLoop' to true or false

Hope that helps.

• 4. Re: change Boolean variable on the stage
                rbencz Level 1

got it!! thanks a lot for the help!