5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 9:31 AM by AJ_MIAMI

LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online

AJ_MIAMI

Is there any way of being able to store a LR catalog on dropbox so one can access it on more than one device to edit?

I am hoping to be able to edit on more than my desktop when traveling with my macbook.   Any suggestions besides storing on an external drive?

• 1. Re: LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi AJ_MIAMI,

We don't recommend to use network location when using Lightroom, since you want to edit the images on more then one machine then external drive would be most convenient device to use.

Refer: Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online
            AJ_MIAMI Level 1

Is there a possibility in the future that my editor can access my catalog & save through an online network?   I am trying to find ways to lighten my load, but LR doesn't seem to have an organization system to have an extra helper, yet provide easy access for all of us.  Any adobe suggestions or recommendations?

• 3. Re: LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The catalog must be on a hard drive that is local to the computer running Lightroom. The catalog cannot be located on a network hard drive. Lightroom is not designed for such shared work. You could give a coworker new images to work on, and then when the coworker is ready to turn the images over to you he could export those images as a catalog. That new catalog, which would include the images, could then be passed to you on an external hard drive and you could then import them into your catalog. But that seems to be a little awkward for a situation like yours. It would probably be better to design a better division of work.

• 4. Re: LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Store the catalog on Dropbox and download from there to the computer you are working on. I don't use any of the cloud based system but don't they all auto sync whatever is in there designated folder to the cloud and then back to the computer?

You can't Open the catalog from the clouds but that doesn't mean you can't store a copy of it there. And then sync to whichever computer you are using then back up to the cloud when you are done.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: LR Catalog Sharing on more than one device online
                  AJ_MIAMI Level 1

Thank you for the feedback.  I always struggle with keeping my labels, keywords, the same when I open my catalog on a different computer.  I always save my info, but it tends to translate differently on different computers.   Do you have suggestions on how to prevent this issue, so the same info holds the same?  All I am trying to do is use my laptop when traveling and editing.