30 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 7:17 AM by Jao vdL

Large catalog of images (500,000)

memmoments

I'm new to LR and have heard so much about it's great cataloging features.

I'm basically searching for an image that is on one of the unmounted drives.  Once I find the image in my catalog, LR points me to the image's location on an unmounted drive.  Once I know where it is I can then mount the drive and retrieve the image. So far everything is working as expected.

Details on the setup:

My LR Catalog resides on my computers internal HD. My normal workflow is that have a networked HD with my current work on it and then once finished I move and archive my work onto removable 1TB HDs. I have mounted each of those drives and imported each drives images into LR. I have about 500,000 images in total at this point.  I did not copy the actual images into LR but I did select 1:1 previews when doing so.

Now here is my problem. I just realized that my computers internal HD is almost full.  The Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata file is over 220GB. 

Question for you season LR users here.

Can I change my previews from 1:1 to another setting like smart previews and save lots of space?  And if I can and do change the previews, when I'm searching for an image on a drive that is removed from the system, will I still be able to see a non-pixellated hi quality image?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks, P

• 1. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I assume that you understand that previews are only utilized by the library module. Lightroom generates a preview as it displays each image in the develop module. I don't Use 1:1 previews. I have chosen a much smaller size. And I have Lightroom configured to delete 1:1 previews after one day. The previews that I use are more than adequate. I do most of my viewing in the develop module. Smart previews aren't going to be a solution because they would be created in addition to the regular previews. With such a large collection, you might want to consider moving your catalog and previews to an external hard drive, and only have the Lightroom program on your main hard drive.

• 2. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
            memmoments Level 1

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for your response.  I'm only using the program in the library mode as I use another program to process all my photos.  I'm using LR only to database my images.  Been changing some of my previews to smart previews and don't see a difference in the amount of space being taken up.  How would one go about deleting the 1:1 previews and choosing a smaller preview?  And also Can I just move the Catalog to another drive manually?  Or does LR have a way to do that?  Or is it really better to just start over? Delete the current catalog, start a new one on a external drive and import the 4 removable drives again?

Last time I just had the program import a drive each night, overnight.

Thanks, P

• 3. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Smart Preview will increase the data storage size. The reason the Previews.lrdata folder is so big is because you have browsed through your image collection which will create preview for each image displayed on your screen, even in the Grid view. You can safely delete the Previews folder, with LR closed, and LR will then recreate it the next time LR is started.

1:1 previews are necessary and not suggested on import. Use Standard or Minimal when importing images.

I suggest you move the LR Catalog file, along with the Previews folder to another drive that is bigger and or has less data than the C: drive or Macintosh HD if you are using a Mac (although that might not be an option on newer Mac computers as they only have one internal drive and no place to add a second drive).

Copy the catalog file over to another drive and then in the preferences you can browse to that new location to always open that copied catalog file. Or once copied you can go to File>Open Catalog and open the copied catalog and the default option in LR is to always use the last opened catalog. Then you can Delete the original catalog and previews folder from your main hard drive.

• 4. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                bob frost Level 3

You can delete your 1:1 previews by going to Library/Previews/Discard 1:1 previews in the Menu bar. Simple! It may take quite a while to get rid of large numbers

Bob frost

• 5. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                  memmoments Level 1

Thanks for the info.   I'll start making the changes suggested tonight.

• 6. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                    memmoments Level 1

I've been trying to make LR work with the way I have my workflow set and it does not look like it is possible.

With the catalog preview file being so large, one suggestion was to move the catalog files off of my HD to an alt drive.  Being on a new MacPro, that only leaves me with a network drive or removable drives which LR says is not possible. So the LR Cat files need to stay on my Mac HD.

Even if I keep the catalog files on my HD the other problem is that I have the 500K of images across 4 1TB drives that are not always mounted.  My intention was to import the images on each drive and then remove the drive.  Then when I would search for an image or group of images, LR would find them and display them with a non-pixelated preview I can see and then click on it to then direct me to which HD needs to me remounted and the location of the image on that HD. I then do what ever is needed with that file etc.

The whole process of cataloging and finding images across multiple non-mounted drives works perfect but since the drives are not mounted I can only see pixelated images when I imported the images into the catalog as Minimal previews.  I do see some images displayed as non-pixelated image but I believe its due to me actually viewing that exact image in LR while the HD with the image was mounted. Not really an option to go through each and every one of my 500,000 images if that does make it so I see a high quality preview.

Am I wrong in thinking that what I'm trying to do with LR is not totally out of the ordinary or is it and I'm trying to do something unrealistic?

Any other suggestions? Anyone else using LR the same way I'm trying to?

• 7. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

You can have the LR catalog and the Previews.lrdata folder on an External drive that is directly connected to your Mac (Not on a Networked drive).

You can have your images on networked drives. So if instead of you having X number of external drives, that you don't have connected all the time to your Mac, you could use one large NAS drive that you access across your LAN. You could also keep the catalog file on an external USB 3 SSD drive, like the Samsung T1 1TB SSD, that are very small.

I think what you want to do with LR is very out of the ordinary. Especially since you don't plan on using the editing features of LR.

Not that someone else might want to do what you are doing but I think it would be rare.

You do know that there are 3-4 TB external drives on the market today that you could store all your images on so you wouldn't need to have 4 separate external drive that your images are split across. And since you have a Mac that one external drive could be connected by Thunderbolt and house all your images, Catalog and Previews. Connect one drive and you have everything you need without taking up internal HD space.

• 8. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                        Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would recommend having the catalog and previews on an external Thunderbolt drive.

But I wouldn't recommend having the images on the same drive. Accessing of the catalog and image files at the same time would slow down access considerably.

• 9. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

Geoff the kiwiw wrote:

I would recommend having the catalog and previews on an external Thunderbolt drive.

But I wouldn't recommend having the images on the same drive. Accessing of the catalog and image files at the same time would slow down access considerably.

Excuse me why are you making this reply to me?

I don't see having both catalog and images on the same drive as a problem. It is done everyday in 99% of computers that have LR installed. LR Program files, Catalog file, Previews folder and images all on the Windows C:\ drive or a Mac's Macintosh HD drive.

Are internal drives faster than externals? Yes they use to be just because of the connection speeds. But these days with TB2 and USB3 along with external SSD's the connection speeds have gone up considerably.

Once the catalog file is loaded into memory, as LR starts and is also loaded into memory, the only time the drive is accessed is to write data back to the catalog file when needed. Like when edits are made or images are imported or to the Previews folder when browsing images. Also I would have to say there are thousands of LR users that keep both catalog, previews and images on the same external drive so they can take all of that from computer to computer. In fact it is recommended for users that want to do that.

• 10. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                            bob frost Level 3

I think you underestimate the number of reads and writes to various files while LR is running. It may read and write to your image files, to your preview files and the two preview index files, to your catalog file, to various temp files, to your acr cache files, and various other files such as your profile, activation stuff, etc. No wonder so many people complain that LR is slow if they have it all on one C: drive! I go to the other extreme: I have the images on their own internal HDD, the catalog and previews on their own internal SSD, the temp files and program etc on the C:\ SSD, and the ACR cache on another internal SSD. That makes it quite nippy!! No complaints from me about speed, except for rendering 1:1 previews.

Bob Frost

• 11. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Spreading the disk i/o across multiple drives is a good thing for disk performance due to fewer head moves.

• 12. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

memmoments wrote:

I've been trying to make LR work with the way I have my workflow set and it does not look like it is possible.

With the catalog preview file being so large, one suggestion was to move the catalog files off of my HD to an alt drive.  Being on a new MacPro, that only leaves me with a network drive or removable drives which LR says is not possible. So the LR Cat files need to stay on my Mac HD.

Even if I keep the catalog files on my HD the other problem is that I have the 500K of images across 4 1TB drives that are not always mounted.  My intention was to import the images on each drive and then remove the drive.  Then when I would search for an image or group of images, LR would find them and display them with a non-pixelated preview I can see and then click on it to then direct me to which HD needs to me remounted and the location of the image on that HD. I then do what ever is needed with that file etc.

The whole process of cataloging and finding images across multiple non-mounted drives works perfect but since the drives are not mounted I can only see pixelated images when I imported the images into the catalog as Minimal previews.  I do see some images displayed as non-pixelated image but I believe its due to me actually viewing that exact image in LR while the HD with the image was mounted. Not really an option to go through each and every one of my 500,000 images if that does make it so I see a high quality preview.

Am I wrong in thinking that what I'm trying to do with LR is not totally out of the ordinary or is it and I'm trying to do something unrealistic?

Any other suggestions? Anyone else using LR the same way I'm trying to?

It's perfectly fine to keep the catalogue itself on your Mac internal HD (I would only suggest an external HD for the catalogue if you need portability). Generate smart previews for all the files, then disconnect your external drives.

If you want, you can even delete the regular previews at this point. You should still be able to browse all your 500000 photos and see large previews which shouldn't be pixelated, add metadata and make adjustments. If you now want 1:1 previews or full size output, you will need to remount the drives.

John

• 13. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

I'm not underestimating anything. I also have everything split up on different physical drives. With current Mac computers that isn't an option as even the Mac Pro doesn't have space or the ability to have even a second internal drive installed let along a 3rd or 4th. Everything has to be connected externally. As for the Mac Book Pro notebooks and iMac all in one systems you can't even open them up even if they had a spot to install a second physical drive.

My response was to the post replying to my post about having everything on an external drive. For the OP that is one of the options. In that same post I also suggested they put all their images on one external drive, leaving the catalog file and previews folder on the internal drive, another option. But having images spread across 4 external drive that are only connected If Needed is kind of foolish in my option. Kind of defeats the whole point of LR or any database system that would reference your total image collection.

• 14. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                    memmoments Level 1

When I was looking at ways to move things around I did at 1st try and move the LR Cat files to a network drive and got a note that said LR did not support Catalog files on Network or removable external drives. I don't remember the exact terminology it said. I did not try and spend any time then in moving them to a USB3 drive due to that message.

As far as larger drives for the images, yes I can get a thunderbolt or USB3 large cap drive, but as you might think the multiple disks I have started a few years ago when I got tired of arriving my photos to DL-DVD's.  I have two file boxes full of those and those are not even being considered in what I'm doing.

• 15. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                      memmoments Level 1

What are the advantages of Smart Previews vs Standard/1:1?  In one of the earlier responses it was said that Smart Previews take up more space in the LR Catalog files.  Would Smart Previews solve me seeing very pixelated previews when the drives are not mounted?

• 16. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                        dj_paige Level 9

Smart previews are used when the file is not on an attached disk, so you will not see the pixelization in the Library Module. You can add metadata or edit with smart previews when the original file on a disk that is not plugged in (yes, I know you are not using LR to edit, but for anyone else reading, it might be useful to know this).

it was said that Smart Previews take up more space in the LR Catalog files

This is a completely meaningless comparison, if that's what was said, the catalog file serves a particular purpose and smart previews serve a different purpose.

• 17. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                          memmoments Level 1

Ok so it seems that smart previews will solve the pixelated previews when the drives are not mounted. looks like I just need to have the LR catalog on a attached HD so it does not eat up all of the space on my internal drive.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

• 18. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm getting into this a little late in the game, but it seems you've come full-circle without accomplishing your objective:

memmoments wrote:

I have about 500,000 images in total at this point.  I did not copy the actual images into LR but I did select 1:1 previews when doing so.

Now here is my problem. I just realized that my computers internal HD is almost full.  The Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata file is over 220GB. 

Can I change my previews from 1:1 to another setting like smart previews and save lots of space?

In reply #1

• 19. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

I forgot to mention that deleting LR's 1:1 Previews does NOT always remove the actual 1:1 Preview files. Here's why:

Why is the Lightroom preview folder so big, even after purging the 1:1 previews?

If the image file's long edge is less than 1/2 the Standard Preview Size the 1:1 Preview cannot be deleted. For example if the Standard Preview Size is set to 2880 then image files less than 1440 long edge will always create and retain 1:1 previews. So what can you do?

Since you don't need 1:1 Previews what is the minimum size preview that is usable? That's why I asked, "You can also use the 'Low' Preview Quality setting, which is actually a medium quality good preview image. Using a smaller Standard Preview and lower quality setting will reduce the size of the Previews folder significantly and allow you to keep the LR catalog on the MacBook internal drive.

You just need to determine the threshold for the Standard Preview size that is smaller than 1/2 the long edge resolution for the majority of your 500,000 image files. For example if the majority of the image files are 2880 (5.5 Megapixel) and higher long edge than the below settings will do the job:

Keep in mind if you go with Smart Previews the disk space required is substantial. A 2880 Smart Preview will be about 1.5 MB or more in file size:

500,000 x 1.5 MB = 750,000 MB = 750 GB = .75 TB

• 20. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

memmoments wrote:

Ok so it seems that smart previews will solve the pixelated previews when the drives are not mounted. looks like I just need to have the LR catalog on a attached HD so it does not eat up all of the space on my internal drive.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Ever heard the expression "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs"? It will always be big, in some terms, but nowhere near as big as your 500000 images, and smart previews generally work out at about 1mb per photo. I would always recommend keeping the catalogue on an internal drive unless portability is an issue.

• 21. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                  Bob Somrak Level 5

I have a  new Thunderbolt I7 iMac with internal SSD.  I keep my photos, catalog and previews on and external LaCie SSD hooked to Thunderbolt and the Raw Cache and Program is on the internal SSD.  I have seen NO problem concerning the speed with this configuration.   One thing you have to think about is not all external SSD's have equal read/write speed.  Some of the cheaper drives are downright slow compared to a drive like the LaCie.  If you are using an external spinner drive and/or not using thunderbolt than that is a different scenario and I would also recommend keeping the previews and catalog on the internal and just keeping the photos on an external. 

• 22. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "It's perfectly fine to keep the catalogue itself on your Mac internal HD (I would only suggest an external HD for the catalogue if you need portability). Generate smart previews for all the files, then disconnect your external drives.

If you want, you can even delete the regular previews at this point."

I agree with the first part but why would you delete the regular previews? My understanding of the "Smart Previews" is that they are used by the Develop Module only when the "Original Files" are not accessible. What happens when you are browsing in the Library Module without preview files will this not affect performance? Just asking? Not part of my regular workflow.

• 23. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                      Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John, I keep my catalog/previews on an external for portability and the fact that my Master Catalog is more than 260GB and my internal drive on one MBP is a 250GB SSD while my second MBP has a 750GB 7200 drive..... to have the catalog on these is not possible. This catalog with 750k files is too slow to use practically so I have a working catalog as well which is now at 431GB for 231k files with Standard and Smart previews rendered on the retina MBP.....

So I would say unless the PO has a large internal SSD then keeping a 500k file catalog internally is most likely impractical.

• 24. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

Geoff the kiwiw wrote:

So I would say unless the PO has a large internal SSD then keeping a 500k file catalog internally is most likely impractical.

Geoff, I would agree with you if the OP is using LR to edit the images, but he's only using LR's cataloging functionality.

"I'm new to LR and have heard so much about it's great cataloging features.

I'm basically searching for an image that is on one of the unmounted drives.  Once I find the image in my catalog, LR points me to the image's location on an unmounted drive.  Once I know where it is I can then mount the drive and retrieve the image. So far everything is working as expected."

"I'm only using the program in the library mode as I use another program to process all my photos.  I'm using LR only to database my images."

So he doesn't really need 1:1 Previews or even Smart Previews to obtain that functionality. Standard Previews will work fine if the Previews folder can be kept to a reasonable size. With a Standard Preview setting of 2880 the Smart Previews will be ~1.5 MB or about 750 GB for 500,000 image files. Instead of Smart Previews if the OP creates and uses 1440 size Standard Previews the Previews folder will be ~1/4 the size or 188 GB. Using the 'Low' Preview Quality setting will reduce it even further without affecting cataloging and search functions. Once the target source drive is identified and mounted the OP will have full capability to review image quality at 1:1 view size if desired.

• 25. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                          memmoments Level 1

OK, Many thanks to all the input here.

There was a question of file sizes, workflow, suggestions of SSD drives, larger drives replacing the multiple drives etc.

Long and sort of how I've arrived at this point.

All of my images are from different cameras as I do have a few and I have other photographers that also work for me on different jobs with their own equipment.  Images can be from DSLRs files of 30 megs to 60 megs and MF digital files of 120 mb to 180mb. Files are raw formats, psd, tiff and jpgs. Each job has a specific folder structure that corresponds with the file types and the progression of the images from raw to final finished images.  A job might have several sub jobs with the specific folder structure in that sub job. I use Capture One software in Session mode not its catalog mode to process all my work. I'm not looking to switch to LR as I've been using CaptureOne for MF since 2001 and for DSLR's since early on with its introduction. All retouching is done in Photoshop as usual.

I had my original MacPro Tower set up with a internal raid of 2 WD Red Drives which housed my digital images. Once the jobs were finalized they were archived onto DL DVD's for storage and I removed them from my raid.  I had been keeping track of the jobs using a program that scans the a disc or HD and adds is structure to a database where I could see all 200+ discs and their structure I had in my database.  I was able to search the database by file name, folder etc and it would point me to the disc to go to. (Basically just like using keywords in LR.) Worked great but I could only see folder and or file names, no images.  When I was looking for an image I knew what job it was part of on the DVD. I'd load the disc and then look through for the image I wanted. Not the fastest way to find something but it worked, Once I got tired of writing to 8GB DVDs I started to place the finished jobs onto 1TB drives using a docking station and used the same program to track images. The docking station made it so the files on the drive were readable on any Mac just like with any portable drive. As of now I have 4 1TB Drives and started a 5th, these jobs go back to about 2012. prior to that I'm not concerned about right now and probably never will be. I'm not going to go through 200 discs and copy them onto a different medium like a HD, SSD or raid.

Last year I got a new MacPro tower and since it does not have the ability to add internal HD's I only put in a 500MB SSD as the internal drive was only going to have programs on it. No data/images. I decided to continue using my old MacPro's raid to keep my jobs in progress on.  Some might argue the workflow would be slow but in all reality it's not. No slower than when working off of a Networked Drobo drive as I do when I'm shooting at a clients studio or when I had a Lacie networked raid.

I'm only interested in using LR to find archived images when they are needed. I actually feel its safer to not have the physical hi-res images on a mounted drive 100% of the time. I'm not going to be using LR to access these archives on a daily basis. LR I know is not really meant to be used only in this way.

The hurdles for me seem to be the size of the (Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata) file and having a non pixelated preview of the images when the Archive 1TB drives are not mounted.

On my 1st going I imported the 522,000 images as 1:1 previews which gave me non pixelated previews of the images on my Non mounted drives. The Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata on my internal drive swelled to just over 220GB. Too large as I only had 300GB free on my internal SSD.

After reading what many have mentioned and suggested doing, I'm going set up a new catalog placing the catalog files on a USB3 drive I have and then import 1 of the 1TB Drives as smart previews and see how responsive LR is with that setup and how large the Catalog Preview IRdata file becomes.  I'll review the setup and it results. if it seems to be the solution I'm looking for but it is a little slow,  maybe dedicating a Thunderboltt drive for the LR cat files might be an option a that point.

Thanks again for all of your input and suggestions.

• 26. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm only using the program in the library mode as I use another program to process all my photos.  I'm using LR only to database my images. 

I am going to be the heretic here but if you only use the Library module I would not advise you use Lightroom at all. There are far faster and far lighter weight solutions for that. Even Adobe's own Bridge (free with a CC subscription) is a much faster solution for example and it doesn't generate 10-100's of Gigs of previews. Many people that have to ingest and organize enormous amounts of pictures swear by Photo Mechanic as another example. Lightroom really shines because of its integration but if you only use the library part you will run into disadvantages pretty quickly that are logical from the way the program is built as an integrated suite but that are not conducive to it being a fast file browser and organizer.

Last time I just had the program import a drive each night, overnight.

Yeah I think you are wasting your time doing this if you're not going to use the develop module at all.

• 27. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                              dj_paige Level 9

I am going to be the heretic here but if you only use the Library module I would not advise you use Lightroom at all. There are far faster and far lighter weight solutions for that. Even Adobe's own Bridge (free with a CC subscription) is a much faster solution for example and it doesn't generate 10-100's of Gigs of previews. Many people that have to ingest and organize enormous amounts of pictures swear by Photo Mechanic as another example. Lightroom really shines because of its integration but if you only use the library part you will run into disadvantages pretty quickly that are logical from the way the program is built as an integrated suite but that are not conducive to it being a fast file browser and organizer.

You are not a heretic at all, this makes a lot of sense.

• 28. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

Jao vdL wrote:

I'm only using the program in the library mode as I use another program to process all my photos.  I'm using LR only to database my images. 

I am going to be the heretic here but if you only use the Library module I would not advise you use Lightroom at all. There are far faster and far lighter weight solutions for that. Even Adobe's own Bridge (free with a CC subscription) is a much faster solution for example and it doesn't generate 10-100's of Gigs of previews.

Jao, I don't think this will work since the OP has the image files stored on multiple unmounted drives. Adobe Bridge will only show the currently connected drives. I'm not sure how Photo Mechanic works, but if it's similar to Bridge it will only show mounted drives as well.

The OP's usage is very unique and LR does seem to be a good solution for cataloging, searching, and locating image files on unmounted drives.

• 29. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)

trshaner wrote:

Jao, I don't think this will work since the OP has the image files stored on multiple unmounted drives. Adobe Bridge will only show the currently connected drives. I'm not sure how Photo Mechanic works, but if it's similar to Bridge it will only show mounted drives as well.

The OP's usage is very unique and LR does seem to be a good solution for cataloging, searching, and locating image files on unmounted drives.

Bridge and PhotoMechanic are the same - they are just glorified versions of Explorer/Finder. If an image isn't online, they can't display or manage it.

But I doubt the value of using Lr only for its Library. It will do a better job than Bridge etc, but the OP uses C1 and it recently added its own cataloguing feature. It's pretty basic, but does handle offline media. So too does C1's Media Pro cataloguing app, which was previously Microsoft Expression Media and, before that, iView Media Pro.

• 30. Re: Large catalog of images (500,000)
                                                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Indeed if the images need to be visible when offline there are not many alternatives. In that case one just has to be very frugal with the preview size and type as 1:1 previews of the entire catalog will run in the 100's of gigabytes. That would be true for any DAM solution of course as you can't get around having to have some database of previews.