0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 5:29 AM by AndersBalari

Error When Embedding A PDF File with Excel VBA (Win 7 SP1, Office 2010, Acrobat X Standard)

AndersBalari

Hello,

when trying to embed PDF files via Excel VBA, I encounter a 1004 Runtime Error ("Can't insert object") caused by the OLEObjects.Add method on specific computers. I've searched the internet thoroughly but didn't find a workable solution for the problem. Embedding is no problem with the computer I used to develop the tool and with other computers with the same configuration (comparison: see below). On the problematic machines it is possible to manually embed PDF files.

Delevopment System And Other Systems On Which Code Works

Win 7 Enterprise SP1 32-Bit

Excel 2010

Acrobat Reader XI

Problematic Systems

Acrobat X Standard, rest the same

Code Line That Causes The Error

Set objAttachment = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(strSheetSignOff).OLEObjects.Add _

(Filename:=FileToEmbed, Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:=AppForIcon, IconIndex:=0, _    

IconLabel:=NameOfFileToEmbed, Left:=dblAttLeft, Top:=AttachmentOffsetTop)

The variables are unproblematic, I tried to use fixed values without success.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? In one forum I found the solution to a similar problem to be the replacement of Acrobat Reader by a PDF reader from a different developer - well, this is no option in my case. I suppose that there's a specific problem with the different Acrobat version installed, but I've got no idea what is the root cause and how to solve this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

Günther