8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 3:27 PM by 5281s1

videoDisplay

5281s1
      I have a video that I want to play and I've followed the Flex Explorer's example to test it and I can't get the video to show. It simply will not play the video (or load the video to play). When I click on the play button, it does nothing.

The video, "test.flv, is 343kb so I know it's not a size issue. It's actually the same video that is used in the tutorial. I used it to make sure it was an actual .flv file.

What am I doing wrong? Could this be because I'm testing it locally and it needs to be uploaded for it to work?

Here is the code:
        • 1. Re: videoDisplay
          Francisc Level 3
          The code looks good, I think your problem is the path to the FLV file.
          • 2. Re: videoDisplay
            5281s1 Level 1
            That's what I thought as well. But I've also tried

source="../../video/test.flv"
            source="/video/test.flv"
            source="video/test.flv"

and still nothing.

There's nothing complex about where the video is, either. It's in a simple folder marked "video" within my project.

I'm still stumped.

• 3. videoDisplay
              5281s1 Level 1
              Here's a link to the app in question (with source available):

link to video problem

Any help would be appreciated!

• 4. Re: videoDisplay
                John Hall Level 4
                Right now the path in your source code says /video/test.flv

So you do have a video folder in the debug folder with that flv in it?
                • 5. videoDisplay
                  5281s1 Level 1
                  Yes, I do. You should be able to see the file tree in the left pane of source view.

This might be getting a bit off subject, but I decided to code the full URL path to see if it would work and it did. However, I need to press the play button more than once to get it to work and then when it does, there is no picture - just audio. It is only when I press pause, then play again that the video shows up.

I don't mind coding the full URL but I hardly see how this is necessary when I see Adobe's examples working just fine without it.

You can still see the problem on the site I listed above.

• 6. Re: videoDisplay
                    5281s1 Level 1
                    It would appear that I fixed the issue of the buggy playback. For some reason Adobe's example had the following line of code to prevent the playback of video on loading:

creationComplete="myVid.pause();"

I deleted this and just put autoPlay="false" in the videoDisplay tag. It doesn't seem to be choppy in playback anymore.

However, I still face the issue of needing to give the full URL for any video source. This really doesn't make any sense why it should be this way. Has anyone else run into such an issue? I can't be the only one.

• 7. Re: videoDisplay
                      Francisc Level 3
                      The link you provided does not give any error... The video is being played.
                      What's the problem?
                      • 8. Re: videoDisplay
                        5281s1 Level 1
                        Like I said above your question, the URL is a full address, not just directing to the folder within the application. For some reason it doesn't want to work when I just point to the folder within the app. I need to use the full URL.