11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 6:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

FTP Question

skipisley Level 1
      I had a laptop crap out on me the other day. I reloaded Dreamweaver on to my new laptop and re-established my FTP connection and I can see my site in the window. My question is, how do I "get" my site back on my laptop? I want to have everything that is on my site/server backed up on my laptop and I can't figure out how to execute this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
        • 1. Re: FTP Question
          Level 7
          Select the remote root folder and GET it.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"skipisley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:geie5j$54i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I had a laptop crap out on me the other day. I reloaded Dreamweaver on to
          >my
          > new laptop and re-established my FTP connection and I can see my site in
          > the
          > window. My question is, how do I "get" my site back on my laptop? I want
          > to
          > have everything that is on my site/server backed up on my laptop and I
          > can't
          > figure out how to execute this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks!!
          >

• 2. Re: FTP Question
            skipisley Level 1
            I went back into Dreamweaver and don't see how or where to select the root folder. On the right of my Dreamweaver home page I have a window, the 'Files" window is open and I can see my site in the ftp:website view. I also have options to see Desktop, C drive, D drive, etc plus a folder icon that is named after my website and another selection called manage websites.

I'm afraid I'm not only a bit new at this, but also afraid of messing up or losing my site, so I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.

How do I get to the root folder to "get it"?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: FTP Question
              Level 7
              You have to first CONNECT to the remote site (click on the connect icon on
              the Files panel). Then expand the Files panel. Now you will see both the
              remote site's files/folders and the local site's files/folders. Select the
              root folder in the remote site, and click GET.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gekfno$q60$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I went back into Dreamweaver and don't see how or where to select the root
              > folder. On the right of my Dreamweaver home page I have a window, the
              > 'Files"
              > window is open and I can see my site in the ftp:website view. I also have
              > options to see Desktop, C drive, D drive, etc plus a folder icon that is
              > named
              > after my website and another selection called manage websites.
              >
              > I'm afraid I'm not only a bit new at this, but also afraid of messing up
              > or
              > losing my site, so I want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.
              >
              > How do I get to the root folder to "get it"?
              >
              > Thanks
              >

• 4. Re: FTP Question
                skipisley Level 1
                I'm still doing something wrong. I can easily make changes to my website and "put" the files up on the FTP server, because I can see the changes out on the web.

My issues as you know is to "get" the site back on my laptop. When I tried to connect to the remote server I got this error message "An FTP error ocurred - can not open remote folder website/ . Access denied. The file may not exist or there could be a permission problem.

Now what?

Sorry, you may been so helpful and I appreciate it.
                • 5. Re: FTP Question
                  Level 7
                  If you can connect to PUT your files, why can't you connect to GET them?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gena95$kob$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > I'm still doing something wrong. I can easily make changes to my website
                  > and
                  > "put" the files up on the FTP server, because I can see the changes out on
                  > the
                  > web.
                  >
                  > My issues as you know is to "get" the site back on my laptop. When I
                  > tried to
                  > connect to the remote server I got this error message "An FTP error
                  > ocurred -
                  > can not open remote folder website/ . Access denied. The file may not
                  > exist
                  > or there could be a permission problem.
                  >
                  > Now what?
                  >
                  > Sorry, you may been so helpful and I appreciate it.
                  >

• 6. Re: FTP Question
                    skipisley Level 1
                    I'm not sure. When I connect to "put" files inside Dreamweaver I see that I'm in the ftp:website menu. When in that menue I don;t have the connect, put, get buttons there. Not sure why not. The only way I can get into the remote site window and see the local files is by having it in the website name folder window, not the ftp:website window that I normally am in.
                    • 7. Re: FTP Question
                      Level 7
                      When you look at the name of the site in the drop-down list on the Files
                      Panel, do you see two networked computers as an icon, or a folder icon?

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:genfmh$ri8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > I'm not sure. When I connect to "put" files inside Dreamweaver I see that
                      > I'm
                      > in the ftp:website menu. When in that menue I don;t have the connect,
                      > put, get
                      > buttons there. Not sure why not. The only way I can get into the remote
                      > site
                      > window and see the local files is by having it in the website name folder
                      > window, not the ftp:website window that I normally am in.
                      >

• 8. Re: FTP Question
                        skipisley Level 1
                        In the files drop down box I have the networked computers icon for the ftp:website, and I have a folder icon for "whatisthatsong" (the name of the site) the only thing in the local files for the site-whatisthatsong is an STE file called site.ste
                        • 9. Re: FTP Question
                          Level 7

> In the files drop down box I have the networked computers icon

You have defined this site as an "RDS" live remote editing site.

Create a new site definition, making sure to pick "Site" and not "RDS"

define a new site.
                          Make sure it is a "site" and not an RDS site.

define the local site folder to a new empty folder on your hard drive.
                          Fill in the remote server connection info.

Open the Files Panel, change to remote files view, and connect.
                          If the site files are there- fine.

If the site files are in a subfolder such as www or public_html or htdocs or
                          similar, go back to the remote info and put that folder name into the "host
                          directory" line.

now connect again, select all the remote files, and GET them.

after downloading everything, suggest you navigate to this Local Site Folder
                          on your hard drive, and Duplicate it to create a backup you can revert to in
                          case things go "all pear shaped"

now edit the file and upload the changes.

--
                          Alan
                          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 10. Re: FTP Question
                            skipisley Level 1
                            Thanks. I now have my site on my hard drive.

I have hopefully one last question for you, and you have been extremely helpful...when opening files for my site in Dreamweaver now, do I select them from the files in the ftp:website window or from the newly created folder which I called 'Website2"?
                            • 11. Re: FTP Question
                              Level 7
                              do I select them
                              > from the files in the ftp:website window or from the newly created folder
                              > which
                              > I called 'Website2"?
                              >

IF this is a regular "site" and not an RDS site, open dreamweaver.
                              Open the Files Panel.
                              Select this site using the pulldown in upper left.
                              Set to show Local Files, then click on the file you want to open.
                              --
                              Alan
                              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/